Charging in Korea

TC3Tesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla’s in Korea: Same charging port on car as in the US? Same Supercharger plug as in US? Can US spec car be used in Korea? If not, timeline for Model 3 delivery in Korea? We will be US military stationed in Korea. Greatly appreciate any info. Thanks

Jayc

Country
Country
Have you had a chance to visit the Tesla Store ? Not sure whether it is up and running yet.

Being a Left hand drive country, there is a chance Model 3 might get there latter part of this year or early next year depending on the state of supercharger infrastructure there but that is just a guess.

Tesla Stores in South Korea
StarfieldHanam 750 MISA Road,Hanam,Gyeonggi-do
Cheongdam-dong 730, Yeongdongdae-ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul (131-11 Cheongdam-dong)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla’s in Korea: Same charging port on car as in the US? Same Supercharger plug as in US? Can US spec car be used in Korea? If not, timeline for Model 3 delivery in Korea? We will be US military stationed in Korea. Greatly appreciate any info. Thanks
Tesla Korea website:
https://www.tesla.com/ko_KR/

I didn't read anything about the charge ports being different in Korea, so I would expect it to be the same as the U.S. But I don't know for sure.

As for importing cars into Korea:
https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/south-korea/transport/vehicle-ownership/importing-a-vehicle
Foreign cars are very expensive to buy compared with domestic models. The high customs duties when importing a car mean that many people choose to buy a car when they move to the country, rather than import one.
You're probably better off buying a Hyundai EV (Ioniq or Kona) while you're staying in Korea.

Deliveries of left-hand drive Model 3 cars outside of North America should begin in 2019.

TC3Tesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
US Military don’t actually import the car to Korea. We are allowed to bring US spec cars there without paying import duties, they are registered with special SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) plates and we are expected to take them back out of the country when we leave. We can sell it to someone else that also qualifies for SOFA plates. If we sell it to anyone else then the buyer must pay the import duties and make any changes to be compliant with that country’s regulations. The military pays to ship 1 car when we are stationed overseas. So if a US spec Model 3 can be used in Korea, then It would be much cheaper for me to bring it from the US. So.... this is why I need to know if the Supercharger plugs in Korea are the same as in the US?

TC3Tesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not in Korea yet - will get there this summer. I’m a wait in line 1st day reservation holder that has a Mar-May estimate.

Seoulhawk

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
@TC3Tesla, Did you bring your Tesla? I too work for the military here in Korea and was thinking of buying a used Model S or a new Model 3. Since the 3 is not available here yet I am worried about getting service. Have you needed to take you model 3 into Tesla Korea for any servicing? Have you had any issues at all?

Last edited:

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome to the forum @Seoulhawk, use the @ symbol before someone’s username at it will give them an alert here on the forum (and an email if they’ve set up notifications that way). Looks like TC3Tesla is still active, lasted logged in Feb. 19th though which is about a month ago. Worth a tag though to see if they can answer!
@TC3Tesla

TC3Tesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Seoulhawk I'm currently in Korea & I brought my US Model 3. The car has been here since beginning of October. Superchargers & destination chargers in Korea are in progress of being converted to US style Tesla plug. Every supercharger & most destination chargers (if more than 1) have at least 1 US plug, if not a 50/50 split. Every new Tesla sold in Korea has the US style Tesla port. I've successfully supercharged in a few locations.

My car was in update jail, and it took a bit of negotiation between me, Tesla in the US & Tesla in Korea, and citing the SOFA agreement for my car to be allowed to get updates. Then it wasn't taking it, but Tesla Korea was able to help me remotely. Now I'm getting them just fine. As far as other service, my car really hasn't needed it, but I knew they might not have the parts or training until they start selling it here. They are expecting to start selling the 3 in 4th Qtr 2019. After that service will be easier.

Because my car is out of market, the SIM card doesn't work, and I haven't been able to get that changed. So some features like turn by turn navigation or autopilot on navigate won't work, even when using my phone as a wifi hotspot. Basic autopilot works, and the map shows the gps location. I can add pins in my favorites so I have a target on the map. Not too big of a deal for me because I can use my phone, and I've never been too reliant on navigation anyway. It didn't exist the last time we lived in Korea.

As far as the 3 vs used S, I prefer the 3 because it's a little smaller and parking spots in Korea are narrow. But it will depend on your situation like how long you expect to be here, have you already shipped a car, etc. If you plan on being in Korea longer term then I would probably just buy a Korean spec Tesla so everything works. We are shorter term, our old cars weren't a good fit to bring to Korea, and having the 3 here will make it easier to get it to our next location, so it worked better for us to bring it.

Would love to know what you decide.

TC3Tesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Seoulhawk I also took my 3 on a huge road trip before I shipped it, so any warranty issues could be flushed out before it shipped. It didn't have any, but it made me feel more confident.

Seoulhawk

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
@TC3Tesla I live in Gwanggyo near Suwon. I have lived in Korea for a long time and plan on living for much longer. The reason navigation does not work is that it's based on Google Maps navigation and that does not work here in Korea. We use Kakao navi on our phone and it works well, waze works on post.

I will probably get the model 3 for the exact same reason you stated, it's a bit smaller and that will work better here. Don't know when I will get it.... Would like to get one with the Korean Navi. Cuirous if they can do a firmware update to change it over if I brought one in from the States. Did they give you the blue licenses plate, and are you getting 50% off of tolls? FYI You can charge for free on Camp Humpherys.

Many E-Marts have destination charges. I have not been to a supercharger here yet.... I know there is one nearby just have not seen it yet.

TC3Tesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Seoulhawk I live on Osan base. There is a J1772 here, as well as a few at Humphreys. There's a supercharger in the Lotte Mall parking garage in Suwon. Most of the chargers that I have seen at EMart or HomePlus have 3 plugs (Mennenkes, ChaDeMo, & CCS1) none of which I can use right now. The S & X can use ChaDeMo if you have the expensive adapter. Many of the J1772 chargers you have to have your own cable with J1772 on both ends, available on GMarket but pricey. I haven't really justified the need so I don't have it. The J1772's on base have the cable attached. Tesla UMC does have a plug for Korean wall outlets, but you can't get it on the US website. I convinced the service center to sell me one, so I will never be completely stuck. The One Stop at Humphreys has several outlet posts that take a NEMA 6-20 (240V) plug. You can order that on the Tesla US website, but they won't ship to APO's so I had to have it forwarded to me from someone in the US.

As far as the Korean SIM card to get the Korean Navi, they can swap it on the S & X, but without SOFA status it voids your warranty. So far I have been told no for the 3, something about the car's modem not being compatible with the KT SIM card.

Tolls, unfortunately I've been paying full price. EV's are supposed to have blue license plates, but when I registered my car at the One Stop DMV, they were clueless about electric cars and gave me a regular white plate. EV's are supposed to get 4 hrs of free parking when charging too since almost all chargers are in parking garages. I only get it when they have an attendant that I can show a picture of my car supercharging and convince them. If it's auto by the camera reading the plate, I'm stuck paying full price.

If you will be living here a lot longer, and want a 3, I would probably wait until they start selling them here and get the Korean spec one. If you were here for just a 2 yr tour then I would bring a US one over like I did. I'm still eligible for the US tax rebate since the car was originally registered in the US and under SOFA status. If you get a Korean spec one that is originally registered in Korea, I'm not sure you would be eligible for the US tax rebate.

Seoulhawk

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
@TC3Tesla Do you own a blue Model 3? Someone shot a photo of one in Osan. You know you could probably make some money letting auto reviewers here in Korea do some reviews of it here since it's not available yet.

TC3Tesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@TC3Tesla Do you own a blue Model 3? Someone shot a photo of one in Osan. You know you could probably make some money letting auto reviewers here in Korea do some reviews of it here since it's not available yet.
Mine’s red, so there must be at least 1 other in Korea.

I might consider that, or coming to a Tesla meetup.