Charging flap to hinge upward

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That small hinge doesn't look nearly as sturdy as the S/X hinge.
I worry that we're going to hear about people accidentally bending the charge port covers.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it looks similar to the fuel door cover hinge on my car - just with a wider flap/cover (and obviously hinging up instead of out).
Many cars have a hinge like this, but they tend to be centered on the door and not offset like this, and they tend to be a larger percentage of the door size.

I believe this is what the Solstice looks like:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Many cars have a hinge like this, but they tend to be centered on the door and not offset like this, and they tend to be a larger percentage of the door size.

I believe this is what the Solstice looks like:

agree (and what is with the extra drip catcher thing on that one?!) When I first saw the pix of the 3's cover I assumed there was a second hinge further to the rear that is cut off behind the Supercharger pedestal, maybe not...

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
agree (and what is with the extra drip catcher thing on that one?!) When I first saw the pix of the 3's cover I assumed there was a second hinge further to the rear that is cut off behind the Supercharger pedestal, maybe not...
Definitely a 2nd hinge not visible in this pic.

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About the charging "flap" for M3, I worry about rain draining straight into the charging connection, and/or snow build up on the flap and freezing the connector in place.... Hope this is not the final design, or at very least it opens down like an airplane seat tray...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hope this is not the final design, or at very least it opens down like an airplane seat tray...
Opening down is the last thing you would want. You would end up getting snow/sleet building up on the "shelf". And gravity would cause the connector cord to rub against the door.

I am surprised that it opens up. That also makes it a bit harder to see the charging port inside if you're tall and standing close to the vehicle.

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Opening down is the last thing you would want. You would end up getting snow/sleet building up on the "shelf". And gravity would cause the connector cord to rub against the door.

I am surprised that it opens up. That also makes it a bit harder to see the charging port inside if you're tall and standing close to the vehicle.
Perhaps opening down at an angle, away from the cable and water run off would be away from the car...

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
I am not 'tall'. At 6'-1", I am 'normal height'. Tall people are taller than I am. :D

I cannot think of a place where I would be standing so close to the car that I could not see the charger port opening to place or remove the charging plug. Because, any place that would be that tight is a position I would never bother to park in to begin with...

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed the REAR brakes could be different in the base Model 3 and the AWD(performance) red caliper Brembo ones which may not be standard like in Model S/X which is brembo (black calipers) for all and just red painted for the Performance versions

The Blue Brembo brakes(pictured) is for Alpine A110 is the latest light weight tech from Brembo which seems to be the ones TESLA is going to use for Model 3 AWD(performance) versions. The RC which I assume are all RWD versions seems to have a normal looking rear brakes. (silver with no branding and a big hole in the middle) brake.JPG brake4.png brake2.JPG brake3.JPG

Country
Country
Hopefully I'm not overthinking this but I'm a little concerned about the change of a flip up charge port cover vs the traditional flip to the side cover. I don't see why they had to change it unless they are doing something like making it manual which would be yet another standard feature cut due to cost. I like the idea of pushing the button on the Super charger having the charge lid open automatically, but I guess it's not as important as some other features.

SSonnentag

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
It will help a bit with keeping snow and ice out of the port. I wish they'd put a standard J1772 charging port in all that extra space so that I won't have to use an adapter when using public or home charging. I'd rather not buy a new home charger as my current one works fine.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It will help a bit with keeping snow and ice out of the port. I wish they'd put a standard J1772 charging port in all that extra space so that I won't have to use an adapter when using public or home charging. I'd rather not buy a new home charger as my current one works fine.
The UMC comes with a j1772 adaptor, so just leave that connected to your existing.