charging efficiency question

Bran

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My model 3 was in the shop for a week and I was given a model s loner car and noticed it charges at a rate of 19 miles per hour of charge while my model 3 charges at a rate of 30 miles per hour. This is off of 240w/32a. I was wondering how this different charging rate effects my electricity bill? Is energy used calculated per hours pugged into the outlet? or the amount of energy produced? In other words since 3 hours of charge on my M3 gets me 90 miles while it would take around 4.5 hours of charge on the model s to gain the same 90 miles, is the MS costing me more to charge than the M3?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My model 3 was in the shop for a week and I was given a model s loner car and noticed it charges at a rate of 19 miles per hour of charge while my model 3 charges at a rate of 30 miles per hour. This is off of 240w/32a. I was wondering how this different charging rate effects my electricity bill? Is energy used calculated per hours pugged into the outlet? or the amount of energy produced? In other words since 3 hours of charge on my M3 gets me 90 miles while it would take around 4.5 hours of charge on the model s to gain the same 90 miles, is the MS costing me more to charge than the M3?
You should be paying by the kWh so whether you get the electricity fast or slow it should work out to be roughly the same.

The Model 3 is more efficient than the Model S though, so the same range should cost you less.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is off of 240w/32a.
I assume this means you're using the included Gen 2 mobile connector plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
I was wondering how this different charging rate effects my electricity bill?
Charging rate is identical. The Model 3 is just much more efficient, and thus gets more miles out of each kWh.

This chart posted by Tesla shows how the three models compare when charging using the Gen 2 Mobile Connector.