Charging Cable

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does the car come with a charging cable? If so, I assume I would need to have the right electrical hooked up in my garage to plug in to.
The Model 3 comes with the 2nd Generation Universal Mobile Connect (UMC). With the UMC you gain 2 standard "pig-tail" adapters -- 110 (standard outlet) and 240 (Nema 14-50 outlet). In additional the car comes with a J1772 public charging adapter.

If you charge with the 110 you'll get ~4-5 miles of range per hour.
If you charge with the 240 you'll get ~30 miles of range per hour.

You can charge faster (if necessary, though 99.9% of people likely don't need more) by purchasing a 1st Generation UMC or Tesla's High Power Wall Connector (HPWC).

You may also find this thread helpful: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/home-charging.86/

Here is my setup with a Nema 14-50...

img_1202-jpg.9453
img_1203-jpg.9454
img_1204-jpg.9456

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
The Model 3 comes with the 2nd Generation Universal Mobile Connect (UMC). With the UMC you gain 2 standard "pig-tail" adapters -- 110 (standard outlet) and 240 (Nema 14-50 outlet). In additional the car comes with a J1772 public charging adapter.

If you charge with the 110 you'll get ~4-5 miles of range per hour.
If you charge with the 240 you'll get ~30 miles of range per hour.

You can charge faster (if necessary, though 99.9% of people likely don't need more) by purchasing a 1st Generation UMC or Tesla's High Power Wall Connector (HPWC).

You may also find this thread helpful: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/home-charging.86/

Here is my setup with a Nema 14-50...

View attachment 9453 View attachment 9454 View attachment 9456
So my biggest cost would be to have electrical installed to work with the adaptor that comes with the car.....correct?

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So my biggest cost would be to have electrical installed to work with the adaptor that comes with the car.....correct?
Parts and labor. It really depends on your job. The length of the run with 6 gauge wire can start to get pricey and the labor obviously ranging based on location and overal job complexity.

My job was fairly straightforward and the run ~15-20 ft. The final cost all in was $500 but in 2017 the was a US federal tax credit of 30% on charging for EVs so final total only $350!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Parts and labor. It really depends on your job. The length of the run with 6 gauge wire can start to get pricey and the labor obviously ranging based on location and overal job complexity.

My job was fairly straightforward and the run ~15-20 ft. The final cost all in was $500 but in 2017 the was a US federal tax credit of 30% on charging for EVs so final total only $350!
Cool. Thanks for the responses. Just trying to gather all my facts before I start a reservation.