Charging cable and adapter for NEMA 14-50 very hot

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My electrician just left. He couldn’t tighten the screws on the outlet any more than they already were. Last night’s charge was uneventful with no charging interruptions. It was much cooler. I’m hoping that the case of chargus interruptus is a one off. If anything changes I’ll post again. Thanks to all for your help.

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My electrician just left. He couldn’t tighten the screws on the outlet any more than they already were.
One thing you might check is if your electrician used aluminum wire. If he did, all the connections should have been coated with an anti-corrosion grease. Even outlets with Cu/Al qualifications need it because aluminum builds up an oxide that adds resistance, which causes more heat, which causes more resistance, and,... you get the picture. Aluminum wiring is ok for a 14-50 outlet, but the HPWC specifies Copper only. (Even then I used anticorrosion compound.)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unplug and check contacts. If color changed (darker, burned look)-bad socket contact.

P.S.
What size wires did you install? Just curious.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My electrician put in a 60A breaker for my NEMA 14-50 connection. What gauge wiring did he use?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My electrician put in a 60A breaker for my NEMA 14-50 connection. What gauge wiring did he use?
Is the wire exposed near the breaker box, so that you can read the information on the sleeve of the wire (assuming romex)?

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
60 Amp is unneeded. 50 Amp is more than enough ( only 32 Amp is going through) and wires should be not thinner than 6 gauge .
Actually, if you're using a 50A breaker to an HPWC, you'd use 6/2 Romex, the ground wire will usually be #10. If you are wiring a 50A breaker to a 14-50 plug, then 6/3 Romex would be used, which still would usually contain 3 -#6 wires, and a #10 ground wire. 6/2 & 6/3 Romex has a nominal amperage rating of 55A. If you use conduit, you'd pull 4- #6 THHN stranded wires, and they could handle 60A.