Charging at Work - What Does Your Company Do?

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At long last, our chargers are now officially operational. They cost $0.10/kWh with a min charge of $1 and a max charge of $5. I get 25mph @ 6kW. Not a speed demon, but they do the job. With 2 ChargePoint chargers and 4 EVs (three M3s and a Volt) I'm sure we can work it out. None of us are here 5 days a week. Now to work on our downtown location!

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm starting a new job on Monday, and scouted the company's parking structure by bicycle last weekend. Much to my surprise (and delight!) I discovered that the first floor was almost entirely reserved for EVs, fuel-efficient vehicles, and carpools. Score!

Additionally, there are six dual-head Chargepoint stations on that floor, unlisted in Chargepoint's app and on Plugshare, yet with no access restrictions (at least on weekends). Each station is clearly marked with signage indicating that parking was only allowed while charging, and that owners should move their vehicles as soon as they were done ("charge up and move on"). I didn't think to check whether the stations were free, since I figured they'd be listed in the Chargepoint app.

At any rate, I'm very excited for Monday to see who's parking, who's charging, and what they're driving!
So, how's the new job? More importantly, how's the charging situation?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, how's the new job? More importantly, how's the charging situation?
New job is going well, thanks! The first week was dizzying with the amount of information overload, but the second week felt more manageable. :)

The charging situation is actually pretty interesting. First off, of the six dual-head Chargepoint stations I mentioned above, two of them are restricted (but free) for the employees of the company. The other four are unrestricted, but pay-per-use, and are available to both employees of my company and the other company that shares the parking structure with us. However, the pricing for these pay-per-use stations is set at $0.20/kWh, which is a few pennies below the fully-loaded cost of electricity around here. As a result, with about 25-30 plug-in vehicles in the garage on any given day, there is a decent amount of demand for all twelve charging spots.

On top of that, plug-in hybrids outnumber pure EVs by about 2-to-1, meaning you've got a lot of smaller battery packs charging for shorter periods of time. The PHEV crowd is fairly diverse, and ranges from behemoths like a Chrysler Pacifica PHEV and a BMW X5 PHEV to the more common Prius Prime and second-gen Volt. The Tesla population is fairly small, and includes two or three Model Xs and (as of this week) a couple of Model 3s other than my own.

So given the 12 charging heads and this vehicle lineup, how does plug-sharing work? Surprisingly well, actually! Our company has a dedicated Slack channel for EV/PHEV owners to articulate their charging needs, coordinate charging sessions, and (of course) loudly complain when a spot gets ICE'd. Although Chargepoint has its own queueing system, having the Slack channel is nice because you can announce in advance that you're going to unplug early, or ask to "jump the line" because your plans have changed unexpectedly and need to charge earlier, etc. The channel members as a whole are friendly, helpful, and accommodating (kinda like here!) so it has been a very effective tool so far... I'd recommend a similar approach at any other medium-to-large workplace.