Charging at Work - What Does Your Company Do?

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After quite a bit of lobbying and research about government funding I was able to get my company to install 2 chargers at work. They have been in place for about 2 months but they still are not available for use because there is debate about cost to the employee.

ChargePoint seems to reap 10% of charged amount. My company isn't looking to make money off of this but offering free power to the 3 of us with electric cars seems to have ruffled the feathers of ICE owners. (petty, I know).

What do your companies do? What solution have you implemented at work?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I work for a small company, and haven't needed to charge yet, but work does have a couple of 220v outlets near the dock I might ask to use if I'm desperate enough. I'd have to buy 6-20 and 6-50 adapters first though.

Honestly at your company I would offer to pay a reasonable amount per KWh for charging. There are too many problems otherwise; such as other employees being annoyed that you're essentially getting extra pay because you have an EV, and what happens if a 3rd person gets an EV, and two other people are already parked at the chargers all day?

There will still be employees who are upset that you can fully charge at work when they have to drive somewhere to buy gas, but they won't have too much grounds to complain if it's fairly priced at least.

Also, there is a larger issue at stake. If companies start to feel like EV owners are going to pressure them for free charging, and they'll have to deal with angry employees with ICE cars, they simply won't breach the subject of charging at all - or worse yet, forbid any kind of charging on their property, even via 110v outlets and extension cords.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
EDIT - To answer your question, the company I'm working at now has 12 Chargepoint Chargers (I believe that is the correct number) spread across 3 locations. They offer 4 or 5 hours of free charging and fees kick in after that so usually 2 cars a day charge on each one. I have yet to use one one them.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What do your companies do?
Our company provides the ChargePoint chargers for free. Not just to employees, but to the public too.

You may want to look into Tesla's destination charging program as an alternative.
IIRC, they'll provide the equipment for free. Your company just has to pay for installation and cover the cost of electricity.
Tesla doesn't require a "cut" of anything ongoing.

https://www.tesla.com/charging-partners

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wonko never said that he thought he was owed charging. He's just asking to find out how other companies handle this.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMMGP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here are two data points from Silicon Valley, both are Fortune 500 companies in the tech sector.

1. Company A charges employees $0.10 per kWH. No public access.
2. Company B offers the first 4 hours free, then $5 per hour after. No public access.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My office does not have any charging, and very grateful to have a parking space (something that probably will change when they renew the lease)
For suggestion on how they should price these, if I were them, I’d do something like a prior post noted, x hours free, then a rate equal to about 2x the local election rate to encourage people to move for others to use them.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've always thought companies should charge employees MORE then it'd cost for them to charge at home. Make it so that those that are able to charge at home have an incentive to do so. Additionally, any "profit" can always be used for a company wide party or gathering so even ICE owners benefit. Additionally. If the stations are always filled (not enough for new EV owners), then the profits from the previously installed units can pay for the new ones.

Statements like "well they should install gas pumps to be fair" are nonsensical. It costs a couple thousand to install an EV station vs $100k+ to install a gas tank and associated pump (and regulations/checkups).

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At one of our sites we have a couple of 110 5-15 outlets by reserved-for-EV spots in the parkade. Free for use by parkade pass holders.

The other building has nothing other than the usual 5-15's you see scattered about any parkade for maintenance work. I would not feel right about using those as they are not intended for free charging, but for building management. However I did speak to building management and they said they are looking into it but are unsure of how many to install, so I have had my company and the other building tenant survey how much demand there would be for chargers. I am guessing we'll get Flo or chargepoint as the parkade is open to the public from 8-6 M-F and the masses would soon find out about any free chargers :)

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does your company have any other existing programs for things like ride share? If so, EV charging generally falls into this category. If not, then you probably will just need to incur normal charging cost (electricity and cost of installation and ChargePoint fees). Which in other words, means that it is cheaper to charge at home.

Having an increased rate after 3-4 hours is definitely something that is desirable. With only 2 chargers, you need some way to enforce sharing. And if the company is wanting to incentivize employees to be green, these chargers may get busy really quick.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also like the "free for a while then charge money" - echoes the current Tesla SC model of "get out when you are done if the spots are more than 50% busy".

for my site it would also encourage the chargers to building residents as it is easier to pop downstairs and move your car than it is to walk/transit back to the building and move the car in the middle of the day.

either way, I take the train into work from a transit loop parkade outside of the city so whatever the building does will have little effect on me.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In fairness to @WonkoTheSane I've cleaned the thread up and deleted my comments that took it off topic and those that followed. This isn't a debate about free or subsidized charging, this is an inquiry to know how other companies/employers handle on site charging. Please reply with how it is handled at your location and the debate about free charging belongs in another thread if we want to have it.

Thanks.

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My company considers itself "green" and does a lot toward that end. I'm proud of a lot that they do so I was a little surprised at the pushback initially. My recommendation was that they calculate their cost per KWH, add 10% for the device provider and charge that 100% of the time. We have negotiated a very good rate for electricity, but I don't know how that would compare to my home rate. I would use it at work simply to support the program, though not every day.

One coworker has a Mitsubishi MiEV which barely has the range to make the round trip from home to work and back. He doesn't even drive it to work anymore because of the concern of running short. He was one of the reasons I started the quest to get charging at work.

To be honest I would appreciate it if it were free, but I never counted on it and never would expect it.

GeoJohn23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would say that our company is pretty progressive as, while a fairly small company (a bit over a 1,000 employees world-wide, but only a couple hundred here at this location) we have several programs to encourage low-emission commuting including discount public transport ticket purchasing (or partial reimbursement depending on various the transportation ticketing systems) and 10 Chargepoint stations set up with Chargepoint to require the user to be registered with our company (so private for registered employee use only) -- 2 of these 10 stations are single-plug 6.6kW (or ~22miles/hr for Model 3) that are limited to 3 hrs of use at a time, the other 8 are dual-plug (so ~11miles/hr if both are in use) and these do not currently have any time limit. Thus a total then of 18 charging locations and these are currently also setup at no cost for charging. These chargers are in an area with 32 EV-reserved parking spots so there's parking space for the "next ones in the charging queue", so for example, I come in early and plug in to one of the dual spots but I get 22 miles/hr of charging until +/- 8am when someone else plugs into the 2nd plug of the unit I'm connected to; but, usually by mid-morning I'll go down to unplug and find another car has pulled in nearby and left their charge port open; thus, when I un-plug mine I can plug it into theirs (although this does then mean that Chargepoint and my company sees this other car charge on my Chargepoint account). I then will move (usually to one of the additional nearby "Energy Efficient Vehicle Parking spots") to let the next, next-in-queue to pull in by the chargers.

There is some friction about this free charging as others have mentioned, but also as others have mentioned, it's part of the larger low-emission commuting incentive program with several options for employees to potentially take advantage of. The biggest friction is probably that the percentage of electric vehicles in use by employees keeps increasing, so the company may need more charging locations or a change to the use/cost policies of the current chargers at some point not long from now...

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
My fairly large company with several thousand employees at my site installed a whopping total of five 110 outlets and charges $15/month to rent a spot. A couple of Leaf and Bolt owners are using them, but no one else. Not worth it regarding money or convenience to trickle in 3 mph. A high percentage of the work force has flexible work arrangements and are not in the office every day, so having to pay on a monthly basis really doesn’t make sense either.

MNScott

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
6 ClipperCreek chargrers pumping out 208v and 32a which equates to ~24-25 miles into my Model 3 LR AWD per hour. 4 of the spots are dedicated to employee use only, the other two are open to the public.

Free free free. Not a huge deal, but a nice perk I utilize.

Scott

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My fairly large company with several thousand employees at my site installed a whopping total of five 110 outlets and charges $15/month to rent a spot. A couple of Leaf and Bolt owners are using them, but no one else. Not worth it regarding money or convenience to trickle in 3 mph. A high percentage of the work force has flexible work arrangements and are not in the office every day, so having to pay on a monthly basis really doesn’t make sense either.
Do you work for the same company as me?? :D (j/k, I'm out in CA, you're in PA)

My work is also very under par in terms of electric vehicle charging. First, there aren't enough chargers based on the number of EV/PHEV cars I see. Second, the chargers are in the form of L1 outlets. Third, we still have to pay a monthly fee to charge. If I'm going to be paying for charging, I'd expect an L2 charging that will not require me to use my own UMC. Also, seeing how there aren't enough chargers, I'd expect to pay on a per use basis, not a monthly fee. But hey, I work for a US government contractor so I guess this shouldn't be very surprising.