Charging at Shaver Lake

RocketRay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We’re camping at Dorabelle campground near Shaver Lake CA. We were supposed to be at a different campground but it was full which necessitated a backtrack and left my SoC in a less than comfortable place.

I went for a walk and noticed the camp host had electricity, so I started poking around to see what he had. He came out and asked if I needed any help. I explained that I wanted to charge my electric car. He said go right ahead. Score!

But then this afternoon I needed to get something from the car and the panel was open. And I saw Nirvana: a 14-50 NEMA outlet. I asked if I could use that one, he said go right ahead.

Car will be at 100% in two more hours.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We’re camping at Dorabelle campground near Shaver Lake CA. We were supposed to be at a different campground but it was full which necessitated a backtrack and left my SoC in a less than comfortable place.

I went for a walk and noticed the camp host had electricity, so I started poking around to see what he had. He came out and asked if I needed any help. I explained that I wanted to charge my electric car. He said go right ahead. Score!

But then this afternoon I needed to get something from the car and the panel was open. And I saw Nirvana: a 14-50 NEMA outlet. I asked if I could use that one, he said go right ahead.

Car will be at 100% in two more hours.
If car camping is in your future, get yourself a 30 amp adapter. If a campground has electricity, for RVing, about 30% have 50amp service. But virtually all have 30amp service. Last I checked, Tesla wasn't selling the 30 amp. But there are sources online that do. I got mine at evseadapters.com.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If car camping is in your future, get yourself a 30 amp adapter. If a campground has electricity, for RVing, about 30% have 50amp service. But virtually all have 30amp service. Last I checked, Tesla wasn't selling the 30 amp. But there are sources online that do. I got mine at evseadapters.com.
This configuration?
1562072088979.png

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They do:

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-nema-adapters.html

I just ordered a 6-50 and a 14-30 in case I need them.

EDIT: They also have the 10-30 for the outlet shown above.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
they (currently) have Gen 2 adaptors for both the 14-30 and 10-30. which were you seeing at campgrounds?
1099345-00-C_0.jpg

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I read online that you can get this adapter from a NEMA 14-50R plug to a TT-30. You have to buy the Tesla-specific variant and set your charging speed lower. I haven’t personally tried this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORK...-Adapter-for-Tesla-Model-S-EVTT30MS/301768722
I have tried, and it will work. However you have to remember to manually dial down the charge rate to 24a. Personally, I prefer to pay the extra $50 for a Tesla friendly adapter and let the car do all the thinking. One after dark stop after a long drive I forgot to dial the amps down and it took me a frustrating hour to figure out why I couldn't get a charge.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While we're talking adapters, Tesla's chart shows a charge rate of 4mph for the 5-20 adapter. EVSEadapters shows 7mph for their 5-20. How is this possible? I'd pay the extra $50 for 7mph, but not for 4. Is someone puffing at EVSE?

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While we're talking adapters, Tesla's chart shows a charge rate of 4mph for the 5-20 adapter. EVSEadapters shows 7mph for their 5-20. How is this possible? I'd pay the extra $50 for 7mph, but not for 4. Is someone puffing at EVSE?
The OP here says he gets 7 MPH, though post #10 says it's actually 6.5 rounded up.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Charge Speed in mph will depend on local voltage fluctuations, and RWD versus AWD.
At 16A, 120v nominal, you're getting
1920 watts
Charging at 120v is reportedly quite inefficient as the charger has to boost the voltage much higher
Cautiously calling it 70% gives
1344 watts into the battery
At approx 225Wh/mi you're getting 6 miles per hour charge.