Charging a Bolt at a Tesla Destination Charger

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
based on the comments on that article, it seems the general public assume the full cost of the Destination chargers are provided by the property owners, and not supplemented (equipment) by Tesla.

If I were to specifically pick a hotel to stay at that has a Destination Charger, than find it has a Leaf/Bolt plugged into it when I get there needing to charge, I would be pissed.

FunkyJunk

Country
Country
based on the comments on that article, it seems the general public assume the full cost of the Destination chargers are provided by the property owners, and not supplemented (equipment) by Tesla.
Who does pay for destination chargers (equipment/power)? My wife and I own a small four-room motel and discussed the idea of adding a destination charger. I emailed Tesla about it, but never received a response. If Tesla can share the cost with us somehow we'd like to do it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Property pays power and install, tesla can provide equipment if location fits in their plans
There is a contact form on the destination charger info page. Is that how you contacted them?

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
My understanding is that Tesla offers to provide a Tesla charger and a generic ev charger free of charge. There is no need for an adapter. Some destinations turn down the ev generic charger, but it is available. They just have to install it.

FunkyJunk

Country
Country
My understanding is that Tesla offers to provide a Tesla charger and a generic ev charger free of charge. There is no need for an adapter. Some destinations turn down the ev generic charger, but it is available. They just have to install it.
Is there any reason *not* to get the generic charger other than to keep non-Tesla plebes away? I assume it's J1772? If I do this, I'd prefer not to turn away Leaf/Bolt/etc. owners.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious how these guys got female Tesla sockets, or maybe they just 3D print their own knockoffs.
Those far-east manufacturing firms will use any "factory down time" to manufacturer "as good as the real thing" knockoffs (because, it really is the same thing, just without the branding) and sell to whoever else isn't worried about patents and copyrights.

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI, Quick Charge Power (the company selling the JDapter stub) was started and is owned by Tony Williams, an early LEAF owner, evangelist and entrepreneur. You could ask him about the source of the Tesla side of the adapter - I think they were going to 3D print it. Tony is also active on the MyNissanLEAF forum, you can probably contact him there as well.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI, Quick Charge Power (the company selling the JDapter stub) was started and is owned by Tony Williams, an early LEAF owner, evangelist and entrepreneur. You could ask him about the source of the Tesla side of the adapter - I think they were going to 3D print it. Tony is also active on the MyNissanLEAF forum, you can probably contact him there as well.
Or just go to their website and send an email...

Tony's a friend and long time contributor to EVs and their development.

QCP has made quality product that has adapted the UMC to be a portable charger for J1772 (called the Jesla now) and provided upgrades to second generation RAV and Tesla Roadsters to enable them to charge CHAdeMO.

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Is there any reason *not* to get the generic charger other than to keep non-Tesla plebes away? I assume it's J1772? If I do this, I'd prefer not to turn away Leaf/Bolt/etc. owners.
Not really. The place of business just has to pay for the installation and electricity, but it should increase customer traffic.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not really. The place of business just has to pay for the installation and electricity, but it should increase customer traffic.
Agree with this — these destinations ideally want more customers not just Tesla customers. With the EV shift happening before our eyes this will become more obvious businesses over time.

JBsC6

Country
Country
A 240 outlet and your good to go...doesn't each car come with its own charging wire?

With a motel I'd sure as hell have an electrician run the power ...

Good way to drum up business..

Great for restaurants too...

Free advertising to ev world consumers traveling nearby...

The cost is minimal and surely a business deduction...

Plus you can charge there too...

Sounds like a win win to me

Country
Country
I'm curious about whether the 'Tesla Tap' (as seen in episode 29, about 22 minutes in) would get the owner of the destination charger site into contractual trouble with Tesla. The contract wording I've seen second-hand is "Keep the charging station and its parking spaces free of other vehicles", where other means non-Tesla. Maybe the contract is different in different jurisdictions.

Here's where I saw it: