Tesla2ElectricBoogaloo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There is definitely a data channel in the Tesla Charger. Not sure if the data is encoded into the charge current or if there is a separate data connection/wire. The internal charging diagnostics communicates with the charger to adjust the current. It takes about 45-60 seconds from plugging the UMC connector in before the current reaches steady state. For the Superchargers, is even more complicated than that so that the Superchargers can bill your account if you don't have free supercharging or won't charge if you do not have a current account with Tesla.

My understanding on Superchargers is that your car actually does all the heavy data lifting. You will have a "yes or no" token onboard for Supercharging capability. If no...no juice.

If yes....Free or no?

If Free.....juice.

If not free....used up credits? no? then, juice....

If credits are used up, then the car will send up to the mothership how much kWh (or time in some places) you took up, and bill you accordingly to the CC on file.

The Supercharger only talks to your car, not the outside world.

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I found some discussion on TMC that Tesla's charger data wires are CAN, and they send the VIN to the supercharger. This is great news, just what I need! I can easily sniff and spoof the messages and build an Arduino to enable the main charger.
Now if only I can get my hands on a wall connector and a Model 3, I can start working on it!

Thomas Mikl

Country
Country
I really need a similar thing. I would install my wallbox inside my car port, however my carport is directly at the street. So it would be easy to just drive into the carport and steal energy...
Also here in Europe Tesla connector is Type2 so potentially any car with Type2 could steal it.
On the positive side I already have a 400V power line to the carport, so I could potentially go high charge rate.

Of course there are wallboxes available here that you can unluck via NFC, bluetooth etc., but they are considerably more expensive than the Tesla wallbox and look a lot worse.

So anything you can come up with and share info on would be great.

Reactions: JWardell

KennethK

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
If you are the tinkering type, you could control the internal electronics remotely. They could be turned off/on with IFTTT triggers or NFC cards or Nest presence sensors or simple timers. Then the electronics would not transmit the PWM signal to the vehicle and the vehicle would not start the charging process.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I found some discussion on TMC that Tesla's charger data wires are CAN, and they send the VIN to the supercharger. This is great news, just what I need! I can easily sniff and spoof the messages and build an Arduino to enable the main charger.
If you can build such a thing, I bet others would be willing to pay you for such a solution.
Might be a nice little side-business.

Reactions: JWardell

KennethK

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
If you are the tinkering type, you could control the internal electronics remotely. They could be turned off/on with IFTTT triggers or NFC cards or Nest presence sensors or simple timers. Then the electronics would not transmit the PWM signal to the vehicle and the vehicle would not start the charging process.
By controlling the internal electronics, I am meaning interrupt the pilot signal (pwm signal) or interrupt the regulator power to the control electronics with a relay or similar device, like a wemo maker module.

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't worry, I will have plenty of experiments and teardowns to post when I get my car. Traditionally I have the dashboard out within days. :)

Reactions: 1 person