TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

ChargePoint

Country
Country
Very useful, thank you. If I understand correctly, in the absence of a T≡SLA/CCS connector at this point that I am aware of, the next best option to charge a T≡SLA over here would be with a ChaDeMo adapter, correct?
In this case, what would be the max. charge power, 50-60 kW?
In Europe we'll have products that can give up to 62.5 kW and up to 400 kW on the ChargePoint Network! Here's a breakdown of those solutions for you!

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
In Europe we'll have products that can give up to 62.5 kW and up to 400 kW on the ChargePoint Network! Here's a breakdown of those solutions for you!
Very interesting. Please specify timing of your expansion plans into our continent when convenient (by country or with map we can zoom on, ideally...)

Are you working with T≡SLA to have your ChargePoints displayed on the dashboard display along the Superchargers & destination chargers. Still unclear about adaptors to use here (ChaDeMo or CCS mix dependjng on location?).

Thanks for keeping us informed!!

ChargePoint

Country
Country
Thanks for the update!

Yes an expansion update would be nice.

Also another question: Will the Chargepoint Home be available in Europe? Will it be compatible with the Tesla without an adapter?
Hi Thomas, you'll find more information about the ChargePoint Home in Europe on our previous link above, here. :)

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

ChargePoint

Country
Country
Requires subscription... would you mind posting the ful article, please...
Sorry about that @Michael Russo it wasn't behind a paywall when we shared it here! If I refresh the page, the full article appears, so I'll paste it here!

ChargePoint has already become the lead EV infrastructure firm in the US, and believes its brand-agnostic charging tech will lead to similar success across the pond
"It's been a pretty good couple of months," admits Pasquale Romano, CEO of ChargePoint, the US electric vehicle infrastructure firm which has now just started installing its chargers in the UK.
He's referring, of course, to the slew of announcements this summer suggesting global car manufacturers and governments are finally waking up to the EV revolution.

First Volvo said it would stop making cars powered only by fossil fuelswithin two years, before more car brands such as Maserati and Jaguar Land Rover followed suit with similar plans. Meanwhile, both France and the UK said petrol and diesel cars would be banned from sale by 2040, and China - the world's biggest car market - is working on a plan to do the same, although no date has yet been put forward.
And, just this week, Volkswagen sought to escape the shadow the diesel emissions scandal has cast over the German auto giant since 2015 by announcing plans to offer electric versions of every single one of its car models by 2030.
"A €20bn investment from a tier-one auto firm like VW is awesome," Romano tells BusinessGreen from the International Motor Show in Frankfurt the day after Volkswagen's announcement. "I am super happy to see the investment there and I hope more continue to follow."
All these new battery powered cars will, of course, need somewhere to power up, and ChargePoint claims it is well placed to benefit from this EV surge.
"The interesting thing about ChargePoint is that we're aligned with all vendors, in that we're providing fuelling infrastructure that is neutral to all of them," explains Romano. "What I tell my investors all the time, is that we're sort of like an index fund for EVs, because if the EVs do well, then we do well."
Chargepoint is already the market leader in the US, where it has so far installed almost 40,000 commercial EV charge points (the company does not provide figures on home charge points). The chargers have delivered almost 27 million charges to electric cars in total across the country.
ChargePoint is now gunning for the top spot in Europe, too, backed by $82m secured for this very purpose from a funding round earlier this year. It already has offices in Germany and the Netherlands and will soon have another in the UK, where it has been partnering with companies such as UK firm InstaVolt and forecourt operator Motor Fuel Group to roll out its products. But as ever in such a rapidly growing market, the race is on - French installer Bluepoint is seeking to expand its network in London, POD Point has been picking up significant sums of investment and German energy giant Innogy also has eyes on expanding into this sector.
"Transportation is a massive industry, and when you're trying to be part of the fuelling infrastructure for the future, there are inevitably going to be lots of folks chasing," says Romano. "We have a very competitive market in the US and we've done very well there. We think of all the players worldwide, large and small, we are the only company that has a solution for every segment."
By this, Romano means that as well as offering chargers for the home and along major highways and motorways, the company partners with businesses to install chargers at office and retail car parks. It also operates its own charging network to which EV drivers can subscribe, where they can download the ChargePoint app to see the nearest compatible location to power up their car regardless of the installer brand.
ChargePoint's chargers are compatible with every EV brand, and while the company currently has a "laser beam" focus on expanding its passenger EV offering in Europe Romano explains that ChargePoint is also investing heavily in the commercial and public transport sectors. These are sectors where he says the economics are even better "because the vehicle utilisation is so high".
"We have a lot of different markets to match the way the economics work for each different customer," he says. "I'm not saying other companies can't do that, but I think we have one of the most mature offerings in the industry, and bringing it here [Europe and the UK] will be beneficial for this market."
Yet with all the excitement around electric vehicles, there are also concerns among car manufacturers and politicians that the associated infrastructure isn't keeping up with the car demand, and could potentially stunt the impending EV boom.
A report published today by ChargePoint certainly suggests driver fears about 'range anxiety' still persist as a major barrier to EVs. The report includes a survey of more than 1,000 UK drivers, of which 72 per cent said they would be more likely to buy an EV if charging spots were more readily available.
But key to boosting the number of charging locations will not just be making EVs more affordable to consumers, but also ensuring all charge points charge as quickly as possible and can serve all car models, the report argues. Rather than carmakers seeking pay-as-you-go subscription models for using certain charging networks and certain vehicles, it concludes all players in the EV revolution need to work much more closely together.
"Industry needs to think 'consumer first', rather than trying to insert itself into the charging process," the report states. "Charging stations need to be brand agnostic with a set pricing model that appeals to consumers. There must be standardisation across the industry."
Meanwhile, the government can also help the transition by better promoting the subsidies and incentives it offers to EV drivers. In ChargePoint's survey, 65 per cent of respondents did not know what subsidies or rebates were on offer, compared to just six per cent who said they knew that the government offered grants and towards the purchase of an EV and installation of a home charging station. But the sector, like any other, should not be reliant on subsidies, and the report argues these should be balanced between EVs and charge points to start with, before being withdrawn over time.
Nevertheless, racing to keep up with demand for EVs is perhaps a positive problem for infrastructure companies such as ChargePoint to be facing, as it demonstrates that there now actually exists palpable demand for zero emission, battery transport.
Once again revising its annual projections earlier this year, Bloomberg predicted that by 2040 more than two thirds of new car sales in Europe will be electric. How fast does Romano think change will come?
"No one is going to throw out a perfectly good car before its useful life is over," Romano explains, adding that both he and his wife own EVs. "So the conversion rate of EVs in terms of percentage of the fleet turnover is completely dictated by that, and I don't think that's going to change."
"Can we get the new sales and lease rates to that 40 per cent line before 2040?" he continues. "I think it will happen before that, because this market is completely governed by making models that fit the unique lifestyle requirements of the consumer. Once you don't have to make a compromise on all the different choices - the colour, number of seats, the price point and all those different things - I think most people will slip immediately into electric vehicles."
The debate over EVs has now undeniably switched from 'if' to 'when'. For ChargePoint, the race is on to repeat its US success and become the charging unit of choice for Europe's EV-owning consumers of the future.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Sorry about that @Michael Russo it wasn't behind a paywall when we shared it here! If I refresh the page, the full article appears, so I'll paste it here! (...)
Grazie! Thank you! Good read.
It would appear - yet I trust this is not intentional - that France is not as high on your list... Let me know in pm if you’re interested in some help in :france:... ;)