Chargepoint Basics

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
This is an intro for those not familiar with @ChargePoint . I consider Chargepoint a MUST for any EV owner and signing up is free. Using ChargePoints chargers requires the J1772 adapter that came with your Tesla.

Chargepoint sells chargers for home and business use. Businesses or landlords can install chargers and make them free to the public or can charge a fee for use. I believe they can also set up tiers such as free for employees and pay for visitors. I also believe they can charge a time fee if the charger is occupying a spot and not actively charging.

Tesla SCs are by far the fastest way for Teslas to charge but they're not free for Model 3 owners and not everywhere. Sometimes, it's easier to park at a L2 charger while you're shopping or eating rather than spend 30 mins at a Supercharger.

Entering a destination in the Chargepoint app shows chargers around your destination. Green is a Chargepoint device and Grey is a non-Chargepoint device (including Tesla SC or destination charger) the number shows the number of plugs at that location. If the Chargepoint charger is occupied, the green circle turn proportionally blue to show how many plugs are in use.

20180713_142508-jpg.11471

When you pull up to the selected charger, you can activate it with the RFID card that comes with Chargepoint membership but honestly, I don't ever remember receiving mine and I use the Chargepoint app instead to activate the charger. You can use the app to communicate with the charger or I can use my Samsung NFC to activate the charger.

Through the app, you can monitor how much power you are charging. If your car is done charging, I get a text and email. I then can check the app to see if there are available plugs where I parked or if I should unplug and move to a different spot.

20180713_143155-jpg.11472

Kudos to @ChargePoint for being such a GREAT asset to the EV community!

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Be aware, that ChargePoint only covers specific chargers in specific parts of the country. You need to always check the PlugShare site to determine who manages that chargers where you will be using them.

I use ChargePoint, for some sites, but in ATL, there are a LOT of NRG's EV Go sites.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
they are also a very litigious company; quick to file suits against municipal power companies offering discount or free charging, competitors, when losing RFP bids and requested a judge in the VW case to reduce the amount of $ being ordered toward charging infrastructure because "it would threaten their position" if others came into the market.