Charged past set point

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
9AEE2B6C-1AAE-4CE6-9997-D855691CF1A7.jpeg I plugged my model 3 in last night, like normal, and set the charge set point to ~70%. This morning I checked on it and it showed it overshot the set point. Anyone have an idea on why? It was ~50 °F last night when I plugged it in so I don’t know if the cold affected the charge calculation.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
View attachment 14952 I plugged my model 3 in last night, like normal, and set the charge set point to ~70%. This morning I checked on it and it showed it overshot the set point. Anyone have an idea on why? It was ~50 °F last night when I plugged it in so I don’t know if the cold affected the charge calculation.
The charge level is an estimation, not an exact science - kind of like the fuel level in an ICE car. While battery charge levels don't vary with the slope the car is sitting at, they can measure differently at different temperatures and different times. It's never a huge change.

My advice to all owners, don't treat the range remaining display like it's set in stone! It's based on a voltage measurement (and probably other factors) of an electrochemical storage device. Additionally, the ACTUAL range that you get out of the car will vary even more than the natural drift of the estimate depending upon temperature, grade, use of climate control, payload amount, tire pressures, etc. etc. etc. The important thing to remember is that, from a practical perspective, it simply doesn't matter. Just drive the car, you will see what I mean!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In addition to the variables above, another contributing factor could be the car balancing the pack after the charge finishes, which can affect the reported range by a few miles in either direction. (Though 10 miles in your case seems more than balancing alone would explain.)

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine does this every once in a while. Not a biggie, like said above, battery capacity measurement is not an exact science, even though we are given exact numbers to stress us out!

JSand

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My M3 MR has a daily set charge set limit of 80% or ~208 miles. Yesterday morning when I got in it had 219 miles and was still charging. This even after I got a notification on my phone that charging was completed. It has always stopped charging at the set limit. Has anyone seen this before, or know the cause could be? While not a big deal (kind of like having an ICE fuel light come on and expecting to need 12 gal but actual putting in 12.2 gal) I don’t want it to over charge up to 100%. Garage was about 75 F over night so temp was not a factor. Thanks for any insight!