Charged past set point

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
9aee2b6c-1aae-4ce6-9997-d855691cf1a7-jpeg.14952
I plugged my model 3 in last night, like normal, and set the charge set point to ~70%. This morning I checked on it and it showed it overshot the set point. Anyone have an idea on why? It was ~50 °F last night when I plugged it in so I don’t know if the cold affected the charge calculation.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
View attachment 14952 I plugged my model 3 in last night, like normal, and set the charge set point to ~70%. This morning I checked on it and it showed it overshot the set point. Anyone have an idea on why? It was ~50 °F last night when I plugged it in so I don’t know if the cold affected the charge calculation.
The charge level is an estimation, not an exact science - kind of like the fuel level in an ICE car. While battery charge levels don't vary with the slope the car is sitting at, they can measure differently at different temperatures and different times. It's never a huge change.

My advice to all owners, don't treat the range remaining display like it's set in stone! It's based on a voltage measurement (and probably other factors) of an electrochemical storage device. Additionally, the ACTUAL range that you get out of the car will vary even more than the natural drift of the estimate depending upon temperature, grade, use of climate control, payload amount, tire pressures, etc. etc. etc. The important thing to remember is that, from a practical perspective, it simply doesn't matter. Just drive the car, you will see what I mean!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In addition to the variables above, another contributing factor could be the car balancing the pack after the charge finishes, which can affect the reported range by a few miles in either direction. (Though 10 miles in your case seems more than balancing alone would explain.)

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine does this every once in a while. Not a biggie, like said above, battery capacity measurement is not an exact science, even though we are given exact numbers to stress us out!

JSand

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My M3 MR has a daily set charge set limit of 80% or ~208 miles. Yesterday morning when I got in it had 219 miles and was still charging. This even after I got a notification on my phone that charging was completed. It has always stopped charging at the set limit. Has anyone seen this before, or know the cause could be? While not a big deal (kind of like having an ICE fuel light come on and expecting to need 12 gal but actual putting in 12.2 gal) I don’t want it to over charge up to 100%. Garage was about 75 F over night so temp was not a factor. Thanks for any insight!

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
@JSand, Yes, I have been finding that sometimes the car gains a bit more after it has finished charging. Attaching a screenshot from Teslafi that includes a recent charge session to 90%. After charging stopped and it slept awhile, it was up to 92%, a gain of over 5 miles. No phantom drain here, just phantom gain! Don’t know if that was rebalancing, a dribble of electrons as it was still plugged in and asleep that was below the radar screen of what Teslafi can detect, or what other magic may have occurred.

Your reported difference of 11 miles is double my example. Did you happen to check whether it was calling that 84%? Any chance the charge limit slider had been changed a bit? It is not easy to precisely set the limit using the slider.

In general I concur with advice earlier in this thread that the battery charge level is an estimate and should be interpreted as such. Highly unlikely that there was anything to be concerned with. But your 11 miles was out of the norm, so get some pictures/videos if it happens again.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I figured out why some of us (including myself) are getting car to charge above the set limit). In my case, this is because my wife’s profile is set to show the range in km’s, while my shows in %. So depending under whose profile the car is last charged, the charging is done in % or km’s. For example, my wife was last to drive and plugged the car, and I am to drive first thing in the morning, I will see the charge in percentage, which could be slightly off, because of the internal conversion from km’s to %.
I concluded this because it only happens if my wife plugs the car and I drive it after it is charged. It never happens when I plug it and drive it after charged.
7f5d0571-504f-4c4f-ac23-6b7cf0bea3f6-jpeg.28984

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So for the past few months my car seems to over charge. I have the charge limit set to 80%, which is also confirmed with "tesla remote" app which shows the actualy limit as a number. So usually when I go out to my car, my car is anywhere from 80% to 84%. Most of the time im at 82 or 83 percent. Is this a normal experience?

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So for the past few months my car seems to over charge. I have the charge limit set to 80%, which is also confirmed with "tesla remote" app which shows the actualy limit as a number. So usually when I go out to my car, my car is anywhere from 80% to 84%. Most of the time im at 82 or 83 percent. Is this a normal experience?
Yes, in my experience. Though lately, it seems to nail the charging % setting and stay on it. I don't know if that's because of v. 10, or because I'm plugging in more frequently (no longer waiting till the SoC drops to 60% or so), or just because. I suppose I may have accidentally balanced my battery on a recent very long road trip.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Anyone seeing a discrepancy in what you set the charge level to vs when it stops charging. I just charged my car for the first time in a couple weeks. It's set to stop at 80 but charged to 83%

Not that it's a big deal but for a year it's always stopped dead on the mark

In the app the slider was dead on 80%. Only difference is that it's gotten significantly colder here in NY and maybe it's adjusting for that?