Charge to 80% or 90% and leave on wall charger after fully charged??

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Hiep Dao

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
I have a question I hope someone has a definitive answer for. Have a new model 3....should I be charging it every night and when I do charge it should I be charging to 80 or 90% charge? Also, after it has charged to desired level should i Be disconnecting the wall charger from the car or is it ok to leave on overnight. Trying to maximize long term health of the battery! Thanks!

Trebonius

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, leaving it plugged in is fine. It shuts the charger off when it's done. Charging to 80 or 90 on a daily basis is fine. Supposedly 70 is even slightly better, but hard to say whether it's noticable.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
should I be charging it every night
yes
and when I do charge it should I be charging to 80 or 90% charge?
Yes. Just not 100%, unless you're getting ready for a long trip, then top it off right before you leave.
Also, after it has charged to desired level should i Be disconnecting the wall charger from the car
No. A plugged-in Tesla is a happy Tesla. :)

My S was a 70-40% for the first 80,000 miles with the battery degrading only 10 miles over the last 5 yrs 8 months. We have only charged the S to 100% on 8 occasions, in addition, I usually grab the crumbs on a shared pedistal. We mostly drive NEVs to the grocery store, gym, and gun range now, so both the S and lil' sis' 3 sit at 50% and both are kept plugged in.

Last edited by a moderator:

I do 80% every day. My commute uses about 50%. So I keep it mainly in that 30-80% range.
And that is precisely what Elon recommended several years ago to an owner who's daily usage is 50% of their battery. A happy Tesla is always kept plugged in (or something like that wording) was printed on a card handed out to owners after a service event up until a few years ago.

Dl6684

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
And that is precisely what Elon recommended several years ago to an owner who's daily usage is 50% of their battery. A happy Tesla is always kept plugged in (or something like that wording) was written on card handed out to owners after a service event up until a few years ago.
So if it finishes charging, does it start charging again after a certain time to keep it “topped off” at 80% or whatever you have it set at?

Yes. The 12v battery that runs the brains (you can see I possess < zero IT knowledge:tired:) will drain down to a certain level and then the contractors will engage to charge the 12v battery from the traction pack. After the pack becomes depleted a handful of miles, the car will automatically charge from your EVSE to top it back up to your pre-determined charge level. Generally speaking, the more time your pack spends closer to a 50% SOC along with keeping it away from the top 10% or bottom 10%, the less battery degradation will take place providing you with a life of ~400K+ miles. However, you really don’t need to overthink this because JB hooked us all up with the best packs/2170s in the world with a superior BMS and advanced thermal controls.

Dl6684

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Yes. The 12v battery that runs the brains (you can see I process < zero IT knowledge:tired:) will drain down to a certain level and then the contractors will engage to charge the 12v battery from the traction pack. After the pack becomes depleted a handful of miles, the car will automatically charge from your EVSE to top it back up to your pre-determined charge level. Generally speaking, the more time your pack spends closer to a 50% SOC along with keeping it away from the top 10% or bottom 10%, the less battery degradation will take place providing you with a life of ~400K+ miles. However, you really don’t need to overthink this because JB hooked us all up with the best packs/2170s in the world with a superior BMS and advanced thermal controls.
I don’t really think about it too much ;)

I am a little concerned that at 90% charge it estimates I can drive 272 miles (instead of 279). I just cross the 1000 mile mark so we’ll see how it goes ;)

Anyone happen to know what kind of degradation you gave to see for Tesla to replace the battery? I’m not worried about it but not sure their stance on the warranty.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyone happen to know what kind of degradation you gave to see for Tesla to replace the battery? I’m not worried about it but not sure their stance on the warranty.
They guarantee 70% capacity after 8 years.
https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty-M3

Very few Teslas see that much degradation.
Most of the oldest Model S examples retain over 90% of capacity.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tried leaving the charge cable attached to the wall receptacle after charging and removing the connection to the car. The housing in the cable got very hot over time and the charge rate was reduced the next time I tried to charge. After disconnecting the cable from the 240 and letting it cool, it charges normally. A friend says I have a faulty cable. Should I be able to leave the cable connected to the 240 and if so how much power is being dissipated?

Jim O

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tried leaving the charge cable attached to the wall receptacle after charging and removing the connection to the car. The housing in the cable got very hot over time and the charge rate was reduced the next time I tried to charge. After disconnecting the cable from the 240 and letting it cool, it charges normally. A friend says I have a faulty cable. Should I be able to leave the cable connected to the 240 and if so how much power is being dissipated?
Here's a thread on that topic: UMC Standby Power Consumption?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks garsh, at 3.5 Watts it sounds like it could get too hot so I guess I won't leave it connected when not charging..

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Also, after it has charged to desired level should i Be disconnecting the wall charger from the car or is it ok to leave on overnight
I plug mine in when I get home, and have the charging scheduled to begin in the morning with enough time to get back to whatever my set limit is. that way, when leaving in the morning, it is freshly charged and has only been sitting maybe 10 or so minutes. This time of year it doesn't make much difference, but in the winter, that will make a bigger difference to depart with a toasty battery.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks garsh, at 3.5 Watts it sounds like it could get too hot so I guess I won't leave it connected when not charging..
It's not all that much. You probably have a 60 watt bulb somewhere that you leave on all the time.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's not all that much. You probably have a 60 watt bulb somewhere that you leave on all the time.
I'm not worried about the 3.5 Watt consumption, but I do want to get my full charge rate when it is time to charge. I will not leave it connected with out a load.

Franklin L

Country
Country
I’ve seen it frequently said that it’s best to plug in every night, but what would be the down side of only plugging in when you’re getting down to 30% (let’s say it takes you a week to get there).

Aside from not having full range available, I can’t think of why there’d be a benefit to changing daily instead of weekly. I also don’t see why there should be any significant difference in your electricity bill either. Is there some other benefits to daily charging I’m missing?

On a possibly related note, one thing my electrician did mention was a that they offer a whole house surge protector. In theory, plugging in less frequently would reduce any risks, but I have not heard of people getting their cars fried that way. Is that even a concern? Should we be unplugging during a lightning storm?