"Charge Speed Reduced" but is it really?

reallove

Country
Country
Hello!
Charging at home for the first time today! My landlord is an electrician and he installed a 50 A circuit along with a 14-50 NEMA connector.
When I charge, I see this warning on the screen. I did unplug and tried again a couple of times, but I see the same. Unsure if it's something on Tesla side or with the circuit. Anyone experienced this before?
Thanks!
img_6630-jpg.8779

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Hello!
Charging at home for the first time today! My landlord is an electrician and he installed a 50 A circuit along with a 14-50 NEMA connector.
When I charge, I see this warning on the screen. I did unplug and tried again a couple of times, but I see the same. Unsure if it's something on Tesla side or with the circuit. Anyone experienced this before?
Thanks! View attachment 8779
I don't want to doubt your landlord's install but what gauge wire did he use and how long is the run? If the wire is correct for the run and you keep getting the error, definitely have Tesla check out the car.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Well, its still giving you 32/32 Amps, so no harm done!
I saw that also but I wonder if the 2nd gen UMC circuitry is detecting an issue. It could be a fire risk. I know the 1st gen UMC has circuits that detect extension cord use and won't charge.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw that also but I wonder if the 2nd gen UMC circuitry is detecting an issue. It could be a fire risk. I know the 1st gen UMC has circuits that detect extension cord use and won't charge.
IIRC, the connectors detect a larger-than-expected voltage drop as they pull more current. This is a sign that the run is too long, and/or the wiring isn't a large enough gauge.

But the screenshot you included shows 236 volts at 32 amps, so that seems perfectly fine. It's a mystery. Have Tesla take a look at your car if it keeps doing this.

reallove

Country
Country
I have a positive update! The warning disappeared later in the day and it didn't show up since. Phew!
Thank you all for responding on this! I love this community!

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
question: Can one expect 28 mile per hour range increase with a 50A 14-50 NEMA circuit?

(I am trying to decide between installing one or buying a $500 Tesla Wall Charger.)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It depends on the state of charge of the car and the heat in the battery cooling system. 28-30 miles per hour should be expected.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry I guess i was not clear. No comparison requested. Just wanted to know if one can expect an increase of 28 miles per hour range when using a NEMA 14-50 on a 50A circuit with a model 3.
Yes.
Here's the chart that Tesla made with average charging rates for various outlets.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello!
Thanks! View attachment 8779
I had a similar thing happen.. Saying the wall plug was too hot. Electrician came back and discovered the the guy that installed the outlet did not tighten the screws on the wire enough (It was him)! Had to get a new outlet and have been charging great ever since.. I am using 40 amp circuit and charging at 32Amp and 30 miles/hour..