Charge port won't release connector, red T logo, errors on screen

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

raptor

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Experienced this today after I lost power during a charging session. Cable seemed to be fine (actually had to use it just so I could remove the charging cable).

After a few reboots, door control was back, but red error light wouldn't go away. Powered it down for 15 minutes, no luck. Powered it down for a couple of hours, which did reset the error, and allowed me to start charging again.

Last edited:
Country
Country
I got these error messages today, but in a different situation. I had finished a supercharging session and when I pushed the charge handle button to stop charging and unplug it unlocked the charge port, but it immediately relocked before I could pull out the charge handle. I repeated this two or three more times and then the charge indicator turned red and those errors popped up on the screen. The charge cord was locked in the port. I tried all the resets and button pushes. Tried unlocking the car and the charge port on the screen and in the app. Tried restarting charging, but it wouldn’t restart. I was on hold with Tesla, but then I decided to check out the owner’s manual and saw the manual release. I didn’t have to pull back the carpet at all. I just reached through those slots and pulled and it was all good. Definitely a weird error.

Flashgj

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@mrkymarc, exact same thing happened to me last weekend during a road trip. Still not sure if I did anything to cause the error. Worked fine at charging stops prior to that one, and at all charging stops after.

Country
Country
This morning I went out to my Model 3 and unlocked the driver door as I always do. I then proceeded to the rear of the car and went to press the button on the charge connector and then the Tesla T went RED and I heard a error message from inside the car. The connector wouldn't release and was still locked. Getting in the car I had two different error messages (car won't charge + something about removing the charge cable). I honestly didn't know what to do... I held in the two knobs on the steering wheel and the display turned off then back on after a few seconds. Nope. I pressed the "reset" on the Tesla Wall Connector. Nope. I then turned off the circuit breaker feeding power to the wall connector. Nope.

I didn't know what else to do so I opened the truck and pulled the release. Then I was able to remove the connector.

I then put the cable back up around the wall connector and got in the car. I don't know why, but I also then pressed the two knobs again and killed the display (is this a soft reboot?). I then proceeded to drive to work and that car was fine. No messages on the display. I've opened and closed the charge port door a couple times w/o any issues. I won't charge again until later tonight when I get home.

Any insights? Please tell me I didn't do something stupid to my car...

kjelly

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The Tesla forums show that this issue is from the software update 44.2 (Cold Climate update). Same exact instance happened to me this morning; fingers also crossed that this won't be a daily occurrence.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The Tesla forums show that this issue is from the software update 44.2 (Cold Climate update). Same exact instance happened to me this morning; fingers also crossed that this won't be a daily occurrence.
I'm backlevel on the firmware and don't live in a cold climate so I haven't been following the associated feature changes closely, but I thought one of the cold climate changes was to keep the charge port unlocked so the wand won't get frozen in place?

kjelly

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm backlevel on the firmware and don't live in a cold climate so I haven't been following the associated feature changes closely, but I thought one of the cold climate changes was to keep the charge port unlocked so the wand won't get frozen in place?
Charge port is locked after charging is complete; charge port is unlocked if car is waiting to charge or currently charging (cold climate minimums must also be met--not sure what temperature is the threshold, however).

Country
Country
Just to add this for info... my Model 3 is in a garage and it was ~ 55F when this occurred, which would not enable any of the cold weather "enhancements" IMHO. I believe the behavior is only changed at or below freezing temps.

This is my first issue with my car and I didn't call anything into service since I was able to resolve it myself, but I want to make sure I don't do any damage either. I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use the release for the charge port unless you have to... well I did have to as far as I could tell. I tried everything else I could think of before doing it.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
You did the right thing by pulling the charge cable release cable. Programming can get convoluted and complicated. This looks to be a bug that was introduced with the cold weather enhancements. It doesn't have to be cold for a bug in the enhancement to show up. I imagine it's already repaired in version 46.2.

h0mersimps0n

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
was on 44.2 and doing fine but this afternoon update went to 46.2.

Keep my model 3 in climate controlled garage at 61 degrees

Went to go to work this evening, pushed button to release charging cable and could not pull cable out and "T" went RED.

I tried unlocking the charge port from the car and the phone - clicking UNLOCK does nothing.

Tried flipping breaker on Wall Charger, no dice.

So, I angrily took my backup vehicle to work (where I am now) trying to lookup solutions that don't involve trying to schedule service.

Until just now, I didn't know about the trunk emergency release. Can I use this safely? Should I just have service come to the house?

Whats the consensus since a lot of people seem to be having this problem.

Thanks

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if the progression of events when this happens might be making the issue worse. I can imagine someone pushing the button, and then trying to pull on the charging cable. Then trying to pull harder. And ultimately, by the time they try the "Unlock Charge Port" button, the cable has firmly wedged the little pin into the UP position.

What I'm getting at is I wonder if pushing the cable in and then trying to unlock the charge port makes any difference.

Failing that, you can try to use the emergency release. The car will yell at you, but there's nothing inherently unsafe about it.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
was on 44.2 and doing fine but this afternoon update went to 46.2.

Keep my model 3 in climate controlled garage at 61 degrees

Went to go to work this evening, pushed button to release charging cable and could not pull cable out and "T" went RED.

I tried unlocking the charge port from the car and the phone - clicking UNLOCK does nothing.

Tried flipping breaker on Wall Charger, no dice.

So, I angrily took my backup vehicle to work (where I am now) trying to lookup solutions that don't involve trying to schedule service.

Until just now, I didn't know about the trunk emergency release. Can I use this safely? Should I just have service come to the house?

Whats the consensus since a lot of people seem to be having this problem.

Thanks
Just pull the release. You already or will have errors on the screen. Reboots might speed up getting rid of the errors.

Sounds like 46.2 has not fixed this yet.

h0mersimps0n

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
just as long as I won't "break" anything by pulling the release, I guess that's what I'll do vs waiting for or bothering with service

Flashgj

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
just as long as I won't "break" anything by pulling the release, I guess that's what I'll do vs waiting for or bothering with service
I had the same experience as you the first time I charged after getting the 44.2 release, but I was at the first stop of a road trip and had just finished charging at a Supercharger. I used the release in the trunk and it was fine for the rest of the trip and ever since. I do believe it is just a bug of some sort with the cold climate features that have been added in the latest updates, and have read that many have had similar problems right after updating and then never having the problem again.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This update has been a mess. I noticed that because the cable doesn't lock when inserted that my car appears to not sleep until the scheduled charge time has come and its complete. Could be Teslafi keeping it awake but the car sleeps fine any other time.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This update has been a mess. I noticed that because the cable doesn't lock when inserted that my car appears to not sleep until the scheduled charge time has come and its complete. Could be Teslafi keeping it awake but the car sleeps fine any other time.
Yeah, I think that’s what my car is doing too. I never connected the charge lock not firing to the car not sleeping. I think you may be right. And the only way I could clear it was to start a charge cycle and when it was done it shutdown normally.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah, I think that’s what my car is doing too. I never connected the charge lock not firing to the car not sleeping. I think you may be right. And the only way I could clear it was to start a charge cycle and when it was done it shutdown normally.
Yep, same behavior. Wish they'd put the connector lock as an option in the menu as I always charge at home. It's just forced me to charge during peak times (my rates are flat but still I prefer to go for that low carbon power overnight).

ChristianZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was stuck at a Supercharger for 25 minutes. I got a Red Charging symbol with the wand stuck at Supercharger. I got an error and restarted the car twice, to no avail. Eventually, I got Tesla on the phone and found out there is a release in the trunk. I thought it was only to open a stuck or frozen door, but if you hold the string while pulling it, the lock on the charging wand will be released. This should definitely be listed on a Tips and Tricks sticky or thread. Ironically, when I came out fo the mall, a guy was having the same problem and been there for an hour asking other Tesla owners for help. I showed him quickly, receiving many thanks, and headed home.. my good deed for the day accomplished.