Charge port unlock feature

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with ya here. But I dont know what settings ya’ll are talking about. On the iPhone the BT is either on and paired or not. What else can you do?

There is a BT standard and that is what Tesla is using. I am actually typing this with a BT Keyboard paired to an iPad. It uses a code to pair just like the car. When I have a problem, it seems to be my phone and not the car. If I cycle to BT on the phone it then works. But if someone doesn’t like the concept maybe they need to buy a S,X or Leaf
I agree with you -  and iPhone don't have any more settings for Bluetooth, it's on or it's off. I think Android lets you do all kinds of things with it, multiple settings.

No way am I getting in to one OS vs another OS because I even have a very love hate relationship with . This, however, is one of the things that Apple keeps tightly locked down and controlled. So far that seems to be paying off with my iPhone. However with Android, each phone hardware vendor can alter and implement to their likings and a good majority of the time the hardware makers don't continue to update software for most of the hardware beyond maybe one major release.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was wrong about always being able to release the charger (with adapter) by pressing the button and waiting a bit. Apparently in my first few days of ownership, I wasn’t letting it get into a deep enough state of sleep! That being said, a partial press of the left rear door handle seems to always do the trick to unlock the car/port without opening the door.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I was wrong about always being able to release the charger (with adapter) by pressing the button and waiting a bit. Apparently in my first few days of ownership, I wasn’t letting it get into a deep enough state of sleep! That being said, a partial press of the left rear door handle seems to always do the trick to unlock the car/port without opening the door.
I'm thinking it's not the car that's going into too deep of a sleep, it's your phone cutting power to background apps or reducing their refresh rate. The amount of power that LE Bluetooth requires is absolutely trivial for the battery in the Model 3. It's actually fairly trivial in a smartphone too. But apps can consume a significant amount of power when running in the background which is why the OS might try to put them to sleep or reduce their refresh rate to a very low value.

When you have paired your phone to the Model 3, the pairing has persistence (it will remain paired until you unpair them). But that is not to say the pairing is active at all times. The app needs to tell the car it wants an active pairing and it can't do that if the OS has put the app to sleep or reduced its refresh rate to a very low level. Apple tries to oversimplify both the user interface and the user experience and is not always transparent about what is going on behind the curtain. So, no, it's not true that just because the Bluetooth switch is "on" and it's in range that it has an active pairing. Depending upon your power saving settings, the state of charge on your phone and other variables, it may be necessary to wake up the app on your phone before walking into range.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm thinking it's not the car that's going into too deep of a sleep, it's your phone cutting power to background apps or reducing their refresh rate. The amount of power that LE Bluetooth requires is absolutely trivial for the battery in the Model 3. It's actually fairly trivial in a smartphone too. But apps can consume a significant amount of power when running in the background which is why the OS might try to put them to sleep or reduce their refresh rate to a very low value.

When you have paired your phone to the Model 3, the pairing has persistence (it will remain paired until you unpair them). But that is not to say the pairing is active at all times. The app needs to tell the car it wants an active pairing and it can't do that if the OS has put the app to sleep or reduced its refresh rate to a very low level. Apple tries to oversimplify both the user interface and the user experience and is not always transparent about what is going on behind the curtain. So, no, it's not true that just because the Bluetooth switch is "on" and it's in range that it has an active pairing. Depending upon your power saving settings, the state of charge on your phone and other variables, it may be necessary to wake up the app on your phone before walking into range.
Well, since I can unlock the door with a partial press, the phone must be talking to the car. It just won’t react to just pushing the charger button alone in that state.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, since I can unlock the door with a partial press, the phone must be talking to the car. It just won’t react to just pushing the charger button alone in that state.
Mirrors my experience. My bluetooth screen looks identical if the car is sleeping or not. Always 4 connections being made to the car. I'm happy opening the door allows me to unplug.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That's a good point and does make it sound like something that could be fixed with a software update. Maybe this issue was recently introduced when Tesla changed the unlocking behaviour of the car (it went from unlocked when in proximity to needing to be touched to unlock).

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is incredibly annoying... its one year later and still you cannot remove charge wand without opening a door... It really makes sense that when the phone is within range, the button on the wand should work to remove the cable!

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is incredibly annoying... its one year later and still you cannot remove charge wand without opening a door... It really makes sense that when the phone is within range, the button on the wand should work to remove the cable!
you don't actually have to open the door... just press in "a little" on the thicker part of the rear door handle. You will hear the car wake, but it doesn't actually open then door. Then the button on the connector will release it.

MJJ

you don't actually have to open the door... just press in "a little" on the thicker part of the rear door handle. You will hear the car wake, but it doesn't actually open then door. Then the button on the connector will release it.
But still, the question is: Why can't the wand wake up the car?

jsmay311

Country
Country
I had a Model S loaner a couple months ago when my Model 3 was in the shop. Since the Model S uses a fob and has "walk-up unlock" (where the car unlocks and the door handles extend out when you get close to the car/doors), I thought that a click on the UMC handle would consistently unlock the charge port. But it's not that simple.

I made two interesting observations regarding how disconnecting the charge connector works vs the Model 3:

Observation #1: When approaching a sleeping Model S from the rear with a fob in my pocket and attempting to remove the charge connector from the port by pressing the button on the connector, it doesn't work because the Model S doesn't actual wake up / unlock until the fob is within maybe 2-3 feet of a door, and standing behind the charge port at the rear-left corner of the car is not close enough to wake up / unlock the car.

Observation #2: (Here's where it gets confusing...) If I clicked on the button on the charge connector before the car unlocked, the light around the charge port would turn on -- it would shine green for ~1 second and then turn blue. So, critically, this demonstrates that the car is capable of recognizing a button press on the charge connector even when it's locked/asleep.

This is where I'm totally confounded. If (A) the car can recognize when the charge connector button is pressed, and (B) the car is capable of sensing that the fob is nearby (even if it's not near enough to a door handle to trigger auto-unlocking of the doors) which it surely is capable of, then why doesn't it just unlock the GD charge port?

And what does this mean for the Model 3? Is it likely that the hardware and software on the Model S that allows the car to detect button presses on the charge connector when the car is asleep is similar to what's used on the Model 3 or not?

More questions than answers, unfortunately.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
standard evse protocol has: in the specification that tesla may or may not follow ...

The button does not tell the car to do anything. The button tells the charge connector (umc/wall connector/supercharger) to stop charging providing power. The charge stopping on a woken (charging) car causes the port to unlock. The charge 'stopping' on a non-charging asleep car doesn't transmit any instructions to the car, so the charge connector by physical design cannot wake the car.

Bluetooth proximity does not wake the car, as wake on walk was causing huge battery drain issues last year...so it was patched out. (especially as a lot of people live in close enough proximity that they would regularly wake the car inadvertently...putting a lot of wear and tear on the mirror motors, etc).

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
standard evse protocol has: in the specification that tesla may or may not follow ...

The button does not tell the car to do anything. The button tells the charge connector (umc/wall connector/supercharger) to stop charging providing power. The charge stopping on a woken (charging) car causes the port to unlock. The charge 'stopping' on a non-charging asleep car doesn't transmit any instructions to the car, so the charge connector by physical design cannot wake the car.

Bluetooth proximity does not wake the car, as wake on walk was causing huge battery drain issues last year...so it was patched out. (especially as a lot of people live in close enough proximity that they would regularly wake the car inadvertently...putting a lot of wear and tear on the mirror motors, etc).
When I leave the house for the day and my car has been in deep sleep, my iPhone takes a minute to wake the car. Now I pick up my phone, run the Tesla app, and when I get to the car it’s awake and I can unplug the charging cable.

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

This is not correct. First, the port would unlock when the Tesla stops charging and when I unplug in the morning, my car stopped charging hours before and yet the port is locked. Even when the car is woken by opening the door, the port still will not unlock until you press the button. It absolutely does not unlock just because the charging has stopped - manually or otherwise.

Second, if the button does absolutely tell the car to do something. 1) as mentioned above, even with charging stopped pressing it unlocks the port and 2) pressing it when not plugged in causes the charge port door to open.

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But still, the question is: Why can't the wand wake up the car?
I know - this seems like such a simple thing... I mean the car knows by proximity that it's ok to unlock the door when you pull the handle... it should be able to know it's ok to 'listen' to the button to unlock the port.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know - this seems like such a simple thing... I mean the car knows by proximity that it's ok to unlock the door when you pull the handle... it should be able to know it's ok to 'listen' to the button to unlock the port.
That seems reasonable...
My interpretation was from the mikeselectricstuff teardown and description of aliexpress evse wiring.
It seems the car isn't listening to the charging port can bus connection while sleeping - just the door handle instructions.

jsmay311

Country
Country

I think the only thing right in this post is that Tesla "may not follow" the standard EVSE protocol. :p

This is not correct. First, the port would unlock when the Tesla stops charging and when I unplug in the morning, my car stopped charging hours before and yet the port is locked. Even when the car is woken by opening the door, the port still will not unlock until you press the button. It absolutely does not unlock just because the charging has stopped - manually or otherwise.

Second, if the button does absolutely tell the car to do something. 1) as mentioned above, even with charging stopped pressing it unlocks the port and 2) pressing it when not plugged in causes the charge port door to open.
+1.

The button on the Tesla UMC is totally different than the trigger button on a J1772 handle. The fact that you can open the charge port door via a button press on a Tesla charger connector is probably the clearest demonstration that it is communicating with the car.

And as I mentioned above, pressing the button on a UMC connector that's plugged into a sleeping Model S does elicit a response from the vehicle in that it causes the lights around the charge port to light up.

adam m

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I put a support ticket in about this with Tesla today. Prior to 2019.16.x I could just walk up to my car and press the UMC button once or twice and the car would unlock it. Now I have to open the trunk or rear door. I'd didn't know you could just slightly press the door handle though. I'll be doing that from now on.

I'm going to check if TeslaFi has a command to unlock the charge port, to I can ask my echo to do it while I'm walking out the door.

Country
Country
I put a support ticket in about this with Tesla today. Prior to 2019.16.x I could just walk up to my car and press the UMC button once or twice and the car would unlock it. Now I have to open the trunk or rear door. I'd didn't know you could just slightly press the door handle though. I'll be doing that from now on.

I'm going to check if TeslaFi has a command to unlock the charge port, to I can ask my echo to do it while I'm walking out the door.
The API does have support for open/unlocking the charge port. Also just waking up the vehicle probably would work.

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can anyone put a short video of the "slight press" of the door handle please?
I can only make the door unlock with the "slight press" idea.... then I have to fully open it, and shut it before moving off. Not much use...

thanks!