Charge port lock stuck (frozen)

osovega40

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got home today and tried to plug in the car and the lock pin is stuck in the up position with a blue flashing light.

There is also a continuos clicking as if it’s trying to unlock it but can’t.

Spoke to service on the phone and they said it may have to do with the temp (currently sitting at -9C) and that I would have to go to the Service Center.

Anyone else having the same issue?.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to fix?.

jdcollins5

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is a manual release cable in the trunk, right behind the charge port door. You could try pulling this cable to see if it will unlock.

Check your Owner’s Manual for details.

Country
Country
just tried to plug in model 3 but the "lock" is engaged so plug won't go in..the flap opens just can't insert charger .. i tried the "inside trunk release" but no luck. hate to call tesla help and sit on hold ..is there a way to get the unlock mechanism to release so i can charge?
cheers
jb

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The car might believe it's plugged in already for some reason. Look at the Charging section of your app or the charging screen inside the car, and make sure to "Unlock Charge Port". Leave the driver's door open while you plug the cord in. If it behaves badly consistently, you might have to have it serviced.

EDIT: I just realized two people from Canada are posting about this same issue on the same day, which implies there's a simple fix somewhere. What's the current temperature where your car charges, and has it been snowing or raining?

Last edited:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Open the driver's door, leave it open, and then try to "Unlock charge port" from the screen. If that doesn't work, try the button on the charging cable. If none of those work, you probably have a mechanical failure and need service.

EDIT: I just realized two people from Canada are posting about this same issue on the same day, which implies there's a simple fix somewhere. What's the current temperature where your car charges, and has it been snowing or raining?

Country
Country
COLD today..but no rain or snow..about freezing yesterday...going to try a couple of things this morning...
thanks for suggestions..will post my solution if i find one...being in Oakville Wife is dropping by service center this morning for advice if not solved
jb
hold time was over an hour on tesla help line so i hung up :)

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Experimental fix: Run a large (so it will retain heat better) dry towel through the dryer on high until it’s really hot. Hold it against the opened charge port until it’s slightly warm to the touch, and then try to unlock the charge port again. If you have one of those microwaveable heat packs that would be even better.

This is based on the assumption that somehow water got in and is jamming the mechanism - but will only work if that water is at the top, not if it’s trapped in the middle somewhere. The towel because you don’t want to pour even more water in to un-stick it.

Country
Country
i was thinking hair drier may un stick it..but question is.. why did it end up in locked position in 1st place? it seemed to randomly lock..the display screen shows it is unlocked..odd situation...glad we still had 200 km of range left..enough for today but not tomorrow...

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's a thread elsewhere on Cold Weather issues where the locking mechanism freezes somehow. Tech Talk, Teslas in Cold Weather. Also see Cold Weather Home Charging in that part of the Forum. Mods? This charge port lock freezing seems to be a pretty widely reported issue now, perhaps a special place for all of them? A sticky in this part of the Forum maybe?

osovega40

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took the car in for service this morning...will let you all know what they say.

I did find this on another thread..

"With the sudden onset of cold weather, my charger cable got stuck. I was eventually able to release it using the manual release cable in the trunk. The problem recurred the next day so I called mobile service and the technician came very quickly. The final diagnosis was a faulty solenoid (the one that controls the charge port lock) that was not properly sealed so it let water in which froze. Apparently this issue is affecting a number of vehicles. After replacing the solenoid (and applying some lubricant around the solenoid and the locking mechanism to deter moisture) the technician followed up with a call to say that Tesla engineers are studying the issue and are meanwhile suggesting a few tips to prevent freeze up. These include: preheating before departure; when preheating, setting the charge level to trip to increase charging power which heats up the charger cable; when preheating, lowering the rear seat to allow heat to reach the charge port area in the trunk. Perhaps Tesla will launch a recall to replace the solenoid or charge port mechanism. I’ll see how things go with my new solenoid. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I should say that the mobile service technician was very responsive and came to my residence within a couple of hours of my reporting the problem."

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Being an engineer by trade, I wanted to see what exactly was locking the charge wands in place so I got out my trusty digital camera and a flashlight and took a photo. Looks like the mechanism is there on the bottom (circled in green) and I can see how that could easily get snow and ice in it. I also noticed just how dirty it was inside the charge port too. Hmmmm! I'll be curious to hear what fixes Tesla comes up with for this stuck charge wand locking issue.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
just tried to plug in model 3 but the "lock" is engaged so plug won't go in..the flap opens just can't insert charger .. i tried the "inside trunk release" but no luck. hate to call tesla help and sit on hold ..is there a way to get the unlock mechanism to release so i can charge?
cheers
jb
Can you take a picture and post it? Actually, you can see the locking "thingie" withdraw when you open the charge port door. I'll try and snag a photo later today. (I half wonder if a shot of WD40 on that locking plunger might not help. WD = water displacement. But I'm not gonna do that unless Tesla tells me it's OK! it IS the charging port after all and the real problem could indeed be the solenoid pulling that thingie up and down.)

Last edited:
Country
Country
Can you take a picture and post it? Actually, you can see the locking "thingie" withdraw when you open the charge port door. I'll try and snag a photo later today. (I half wonder if a shot of WD40 on that locking plunger might not help. WD = water displacement. But I'm not gonna do that unless Tesla tells me it's OK! it IS the charging port after all and the real problem could indeed be the solenoid pulling that thingie up and down.)
wife has it at the Oakville service center now..will let you know results...
just got report..
the locking pin was back down when wife got there go figure....here is her summary...
"
So he said it’s probably the little pin that disappears into the floor of the little charge port area when you open the charge port door. It may be freezing in place. I asked “so a blowdryer would fix it?” and he suggested some de-icer, carefully sprayed just into the little well where the pin sits and just a little at a time. "
not a fan of deicer..will see how it is next few days...

edit:grammar spelling..sigh

Last edited:

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Barely managed to snag a shot of the locking tab getting pulled down out of the way for those of you who care. Let's see what Tesla says.

osovega40

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So took mine to the SC today. They said they fixed it but when I got home same issue.

Anyone have any tricks?.

Country
Country
I had this happen last night as well. I got it to work by using my phone app. Under charging, the "open Chargeport" button should appear. Try that. I had to close and open a few times before it worked. Tonight the same thing. This time I held the button on the charger which change the flashing green logo to a blue unlocked port. Good luck.