Charge port error

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello. I charged last night and it rained. This morning I noticed an error in the app “charge port open” despite the charge connector still being plugged in. Full charging to 84% was not achieved. The car was parked outside connected to 14-50 using the UMC.

Could the rain have caused charging to stop? Has anyone seen this behavior?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla’s have been charging in the rain for years. Yours having that error while it was raining was just a coincidence, not the cause.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MelindaV many thanks.

If rain is eliminated as a variable, has anyone seen the “charge port open” error while still plugged in, with charging not completed?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could the rain have caused charging to stop?
It shouldn't have. Electric cars are designed to allow charging in the rain.

That said, you'll probably need to do some investigation to determine the cause.
  • Can you tell the car to start charging again?
  • If not, has a breaker or GFCI been tripped?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh interesting thought. Thank you.

I unplugged at the charge port this morning without going into the garage to check the connector or panel (late for train).

I will check on the circuit and report back.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife checked and informed me the mobile connector is not lit up green. The circuit breaker tripped.

This is a 14-50 receptacle on 50A breaker, 6AWG homerun line to panel. The receptacle is in a dry location about 60” above ground inside the garage.

The only irregularity I can guess is that there was a hard rain last night. If there was a fault, the car handled it perfectly.

Have others noticed their circuit breaker tripping either due to moisture or any other reason?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife checked and informed me the mobile connector is not lit up green. The circuit breaker tripped.
Next question: is this a regular circuit breaker, or does it include an integrated GFCI?

There have been multiple reports of the Mobile Connector not "playing nice" with GFCI outlets. Basically, the Mobile Connector includes its own GFCI circuitry, and for whatever reason, two GFCI devices on the same circuit appear to sometimes interfere with each other.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh thanks again!

I can't recall if the electrician installed an integrated GFCI. Is there a way to tell from the panel?, i.e. a certain type of two-pole breaker?

Otherwise, maybe the mobile connector's gfci feature kicked in as it should have...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
very helpful. thank you.

This picture of my panel shows what I think is a standard two pole breaker without GFCI. (although I didn't take the panel cover off). What do you think?

If the main panel breaker is not GFCI protected, how would this have worked? Thinking about it more, I would have assumed the connector's onboard GFCI would trip to protect the car, but not tripped the breaker at the panel upstream.

Attachments

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
very helpful. thank you.

This picture of my panel shows what I think is a standard two pole breaker without GFCI. (although I didn't take the panel cover off). What do you think?

If the main panel breaker is not GFCI protected, how would this have worked? Thinking about it more, I would have assumed the connector's onboard GFCI would trip to protect the car, but not tripped the breaker at the panel upstream.
GFCIs are really sensitive at times. Although it doesn't look like you have one in the panel. I'd keep an eye to see if it happens again. Could be the mobile connector. Did the connector itself get wet? Maybe the plug end isn't seated in all the way and some water got in.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This picture of my panel shows what I think is a standard two pole breaker without GFCI.
Agreed.

Ok, we've ruled out all the easy stuff now. :)

I think we're at the point of it being one of:
  1. Bad circuit breaker
  2. Bad connection at the 14-50 outlet
  3. Bad Mobile Connector
  4. Freak, random occurrence
  5. Design flaw in charging Model 3 in the rain
I'm not sure how to narrow things down further at this point. Maybe somebody else will have ideas.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@BigBri good point. The receptacle and main portion of the connector are in doors and elevated. definitely dry. the connector end was certainly in the rain and maybe the connection wasn't great, or a driving rain worked in there.

and as @MelindaV pointed out, maybe this is just completely coincidence and there's another issue lurking (poor connection in the breaker, faulty breaker etc).

I will try some testing.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update:

I’ve tested the breaker in the panel. The double pole 50 amp breaker is getting 240v across both poles, 120v to each. I tested all connections* and they seem solid and tight.

I reattached the mobile connector to test charging and all seems in order (pic attached).

I don’t have an IR temp gun but the receptacle and breaker do not feel hot to the touch at all, just barely warm. The warmest part of the whole chain is the cord of the UMC itself, but just slightly warm.

*one connection I didn’t yet inspect is a join the in electrician put in the middle of the 6AWG wire run. My only guess is he was using two remnant pieces.

So for now all seems resolved. I will chalk it up to a trip of the UMC GFCI which tripped the breaker at the panel. I’ll continue to monitor and report back. Many Thanks All.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I should also say if I get another breaker trip, I will open up and test the junction box where the electrician joined two runs of wire. For now it does not feel warm.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I should also say if I get another breaker trip, I will open up and test the junction box where the electrician joined two runs of wire. For now it does not feel warm.
I'd give the electrician a call and let them know it was tripped. They likely would want to have someone come take a look and make sure all is installed properly to protect themselves (and your home/family)

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
This is a 14-50 receptacle on 50A breaker, 6AWG homerun line to panel. The receptacle is in a dry location about 60” above ground inside the garage.
The only 50 amp breaker I see in your panel is labeled "Sub-Zero". You don't have a refrigerator/freezer on the same circuit, do you?

Because I don't think the GFCI on the UMC is capable of tripping the breaker in your electrical panel.

Also, a heads up for those of you adding 50A plugs in a garage. My new install just failed inspection because the plug wasn't on a GFCI breaker. The electrical inspector said it was a new requirement that didn't get into the new NEC book but is listed as an addendum. I wonder which lobbyist got this unneeded regulation inserted in the code?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@PNWmisty good eye. There was originally a breaker there for a subzero but the electrician moved some things around to make space. The 50amp double pole is a dedicated line right to the 14-50 receptacle in garage. The refrigerator circuit was moved to a different slot.