Charge Port Error: Never use lever to insert cable

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

So this evening, after removing the UMC charging cable from the car - I saw the logo blink red. It wasn't charging at that point since it was already at the daily charge limit and plugged in from earlier this morning.

When I got in the car, I saw a red notification icon at the top corner, where you usually see the update icon. Clicking on it revealed a set of 3 lines, and since these didn't really affect the drive-ability, went out and ran some errands that I needed to.

Back home, I'm now trying to see what is wrong and what can be done to resolve this.

1. Unable to charge (Unplug and try again) - this hasn't helped
2. Charging disabled (Close charge port and try again) - this hasn't helped.
3. Never use charge port lever to insert cable (using lever to insert cable prevents charging) - I do not understand this... what is the lever? Cannot find any reference of a lever pertaining to charging in the manual.

Couldn't find any prior instances of this on the forum, has anyone else faced and/or remedied something like this?

Also, to add: I've never had that black rock shaped "stone" on the charge port door since delivery.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

So this evening, after removing the UMC charging cable from the car - I saw the logo blink red. It wasn't charging at that point since it was already at the daily charge limit and plugged in from earlier this morning.

When I got in the car, I saw a red notification icon at the top corner, where you usually see the update icon. Clicking on it revealed a set of 3 lines, and since these didn't really affect the drive-ability, went out and ran some errands that I needed to.

Back home, I'm now trying to see what is wrong and what can be done to resolve this.

1. Unable to charge (Unplug and try again) - this hasn't helped
2. Charging disabled (Close charge port and try again) - this hasn't helped.
3. Never use charge port lever to insert cable (using lever to insert cable prevents charging) - I do not understand this... what is the lever? Cannot find any reference of a lever pertaining to charging in the manual.

Couldn't find any prior instances of this on the forum, has anyone else faced and/or remedied something like this?

Also, to add: I've never had that black rock shaped "stone" on the charge port door since delivery.
You mean like this?

upload_2018-9-3_10-56-55-png.14001

You get that cluster of messages when you pull the emergency charger release cord in the trunk behind the charger (ht i1Tesla) See here:

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same issue a few weeks back. Called into support and they told me to go to the service center. Error cleared itself a few hours later but when I was at service center, they replaced a whole bunch of items related to the charging system. Not much help for you, but suggest you make an appointment.

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You mean like this?
View attachment 14001
You get that cluster of messages when you pull the emergency charger release cord in the trunk behind the charger (ht i1Tesla) See here:
Tried to cycle the charge port door as in the video quite a few times, but it did not work. Maybe because the door is missing that stone which might be the piece 'resetting' the charge start/stop process. Powering down the car and the button reset didn't help as well

Funnily, this morning it disappeared all on its own.

I had the same issue a few weeks back. Called into support and they told me to go to the service center. Error cleared itself a few hours later but when I was at service center, they replaced a whole bunch of items related to the charging system. Not much help for you, but suggest you make an appointment.
Would you mind sharing the list of items from the work order sheet that they worked on for this? I have a mobile tech visit scheduled for next Monday and this would help

ZaelFaroe

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This exact same thing happened to me about a week ago. The magnet fell off. I figured that was pretty common, I'd just save it for them to put back on when I go in for tire rotations. Then I received those exact same 3 notifications a day or so later. I was getting ready to call the service center because it wouldn't charge with those errors, but I left it alone for a few hours, came back and it was gone. No idea why it appeared or why it went away. I had even tried the double wheel button press reboot while they were showing up and that didn't clear it.

Right now I figure it was a glitch. If it happens again, I'll call the service center.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
As noted above: that's the message which comes when you pull the emergency charge release lever. So it thinks your emergency charge release lever was pulled. Meaning it could accidentally have gotten bumped or shaken loose. And likewise get back into place accidentally.

At least that's my take. Could be wrong.

Last edited:

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this happen to Middie this morning before 7 am this morning.

Upon inspection, the magnet was gone, but that's just a sensor.

Rebooted several times, no chargie.

Called Tesla service, they had a mobile service guy schedule an appointment for 2pm at my house as the Saint Louis Service Center was fully booked.

Very nice guy, arrived on time, got the charge port swapped out in 15 minutes.

Needless to say, very happy with my service experience!

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this happen to Middie this morning before 7 am this morning.

Upon inspection, the magnet was gone, but that's just a sensor.

Rebooted several times, no chargie.

Called Tesla service, they had a mobile service guy schedule an appointment for 2pm at my house as the Saint Louis Service Center was fully booked.

Very nice guy, arrived on time, got the charge port swapped out in 15 minutes.

Needless to say, very happy with my service experience!
So instead of adding a magnet, they replaced the whole port? I recall they have to remove the rear seat, etc... to get to the charge port...but your 15 minutes is too fast to do all that. What were the steps they took? Thanks!

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is quite a job if they managed to do this in 15 minutes. The technician took over half an hour at our place - they had to remove the headlight assembly along with some of the charging cables from inside the trunk, and then spent quite a bit aligning the door when closed; it wasn't flush after re-assembly.

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So instead of adding a magnet, they replaced the whole port?
I actually felt bad that the whole unit needs to be replaced for the missing 'stone'. I asked whether he could just pick out the stone from the new one and stick it on the old - but he advised against it since there isn't supposed to be any glue on it. He explained that the stone is kind of fused with the plastic at a high temperature (and these pieces have been falling of since the bonding is uneven) and there shouldn't be anything in between - which is why they will continue to replace the whole piece.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually felt bad that the whole unit needs to be replaced for the missing 'stone'. I asked whether he could just pick out the stone from the new one and stick it on the old - but he advised against it since there isn't supposed to be any glue on it. He explained that the stone is kind of fused with the plastic at a high temperature (and these pieces have been falling of since the bonding is uneven) and there shouldn't be anything in between - which is why they will continue to replace the whole piece.
That makes sense. I was thinking it was just glued on.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So instead of adding a magnet, they replaced the whole port? I recall they have to remove the rear seat, etc... to get to the charge port...but your 15 minutes is too fast to do all that. What were the steps they took? Thanks!
He was very efficient, I was amazed how fast he worked.

And I probably said it wrong, it was just the charge port door assembly.

Here's a picture middle through the installation:
mvimg_20180918_140608-jpg.14792

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, and the port door was throwing errors on the log.

I also had off and on warning messages "charge port needs servicing" over several months that would not prevent charging that would clear themselves.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tried to cycle the charge port door as in the video quite a few times, but it did not work. Maybe because the door is missing that stone which might be the piece 'resetting' the charge start/stop process. Powering down the car and the button reset didn't help as well

Funnily, this morning it disappeared all on its own.

Would you mind sharing the list of items from the work order sheet that they worked on for this? I have a mobile tech visit scheduled for next Monday and this would help
Sorry - only seeing this now: "Replaced the harness from charge port to HV battery"

Koob

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I had this same problem. The cause was a loose manual emergency pull string right behind the charge port, inside of the trunk. Popped it back in and rebooted.

_Travis_

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got this one morning after charging. I had at least four different error messages, including all the ones you show here, plus something about my charger being broken, and I couldn't remove the charge cable. I had to use the emergency release, at which point all the error messages went away and I've never had any similar problems since. I wish I knew what the problem was.

rlb4

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got these 3 error messages today. My charging cable was stuck and the red light was flashing. I held down the button on the charger handle and it released. Anyone have a picture of this magnet?