Question Charge port door will not open

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It sounds like one of the connections from the part you got is a sense wire, and it's not connected correctly.
"the part you got" do you mean the charge port assembly? The one I got works fine, it's the original one that does not anymore. Maybe some of the PCBA components fried along with the motor?

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
"the part you got" do you mean the charge port assembly? The one I got works fine, it's the original one that does not anymore. Maybe some of the PCBA components fried along with the motor?

In that case I’m confused about why you installed the new part and then removed it and put the old one back in.

Either way, if the charge port still opens and closes from the MCU and reports charge status, but the MCU is complaining about the LED, that means whatever communicates the LED status to the car is likely not physically connected. It could be CAN communication issues with the circuit board in the charge port, but those are usually less specific.

Last edited:

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Depending on the charge port revision and age of your care you might need a software update. A Tesla tech friend told me Tesla went through 3-4 charge port revisions during 2018-2019 as Canadian cars were delivered and had their share of issues to which he mentioned that a change in the charge port sometime requires an update. He didn't specify if it was a local upgrade (AKA: they do it physically with a visit) or a general one aka: OTA

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In that case I’m confused about why you installed the new part and then removed it and put the old one back in.

Either way, if the charge port still opens and closes from the MCU and reports charge status, but the MCU is complaining about the LED, that means whatever communicates the LED status to the car is likely not physically connected. It could be CAN communication issues with the circuit board in the charge port, but those are usually less specific.
I understand the confusion, should have been more explicit. The reason is, I repaired the faulty part (gear with nylon clips unclipping) and trusted my original would outlast the newer one (which will eventually have the same issue). Also the original one is still pristine (no scratches). My plan now is to perform the same procedure on the newer one when it will start behaving, but before its motor dies.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Depending on the charge port revision and age of your care you might need a software update. A Tesla tech friend told me Tesla went through 3-4 charge port revisions during 2018-2019 as Canadian cars were delivered and had their share of issues to which he mentioned that a change in the charge port sometime requires an update. He didn't specify if it was a local upgrade (AKA: they do it physically with a visit) or a general one aka: OTA
Ok. I saw on another post someone having an issue with an OTA update that failed updating the ECU firmware, which required service to perform it. Interestingly in my case it’s the original, older part that’s not happy with its LEDs anymore. I’d be happy to find a faulty wire and fix it but all looks good on that little harness. It seems awkward to discard the whole thing, it felt I was getting so close to salvaging it

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got home and was unable to open charge port:
  • vehicle diagram - no response
  • charger menu - no response
  • manual unlock - no response
  • all three power restarts - no response
  • portable Bluetooth button - WORKED
Charging is working using my home, JuiceBox J1772 and adapter. The portable also charges even though it was the only way to get the charge port door open. ... Curious!

Bob Wilson

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got home and was unable to open charge port:
  • vehicle diagram - no response
  • charger menu - no response
  • manual unlock - no response
  • all three power restarts - no response
  • portable Bluetooth button - WORKED
Charging is working using my home, JuiceBox J1772 and adapter. The portable also charges even though it was the only way to get the charge port door open. ... Curious!

Bob Wilson
Take a video of it not working.
This gives you proof that it wasn't working in case it decides to start working again.

Then schedule a service call/visit to have it replaced.

• Agree
Reactions: bwilson4web

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hopefully, a one time event, I’ll video it. But I’m seeing some other, unexpected events like random sifts in charge limit.

Bob Wilson

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, mine was not working either but later on, it started working again. I took it to service center and they checked/tested it and it would open like normal so no replacement yet. Until it fails completely, they’ll say it’s still working.

Reactions: bwilson4web

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, mine was not working either but later on, it started working again. I took it to service center and they checked/tested it and it would open like normal so no replacement yet. Until it fails completely, they’ll say it’s still working.

The loaner I got from Tesla last week while having the windshield replaced had a charge port that was stubborn. I experimented with "re-training it" - pulling it open, and flopping the door closed (it won't actually close completely) and then starting the car. The door "closed" itself then, and then it didn't give me trouble again for the remaining day that I had the car.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Mine had a a few one-time instances before I finally decided to take a video and schedule an appointment to have it fixed.

Here's the video that I shared with them, showing the door refusing to open no matter which method I tried.

Last edited:

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Opening is not the issue, closing is. Sometimes the lid will open, but it will never close. So I open it manually, I close it manually; no problem. The problem is that I arrive at the next supercharger and discover that the lid is 1/3 open. Has it been this way for the entire drive, or did this supercharger try to open it. Is the refrigerator light always on?

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Has anyone taken a broken one apart to identify the specific failure mode? Bearing wear or mot

Is there a part number for the newer model? That way if mine breaks hard, I can audit the repair ticket.

Anyone try a squirt of WD-40?

Thanks,
Thanks,
Bob Wilson

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyone try a squirt of WD-40?

Don't use WD-40, it's an oil and will attract dirt - since the charge port is open to the elements all the time, it's going to get gummed up quickly. Try using silicone grease instead - it's actually sold next to WD-40, so it should be easy to find.

android04

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
  • Informative
Reactions: garsh

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I recently had a service for the outer plastic shell around the charge port itself being cracked, and the mobile tech replaced the entire charge port door and motor mechanism. I guess Tesla decided it wasn’t worth trying to repair. And that makes sense, too, since their labor charge is something like $180/hr, and the entire port door swap is listed at $250 parts and labor, according to the tech.

pweady

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just had my charge door replaced for the same issue. It happened once and I immediately scheduled service since it sounds like it just gets worse over time. They had a cancellation and were able to replace it the same day. It took about 30min and cost just under $250 because my car is about 8k miles out of warranty. The tech said they just reduced the price by about $100 and also stated that there have been 5 revisions of the charge door since my 2018 was built. Just like previously mentioned in this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike and Klaus-rf

Mike

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
I've an appointment with service next week for my non-functioning charge port door. Mobile can't do the R&R, so have to drive 60 miles to the nearest service center. I'm under warranty, so why not do it? I'm just not sure how long it will take, or if I have to leave the car. I did just finally get an update, so I will check the screen/app function again. Maybe software related.
Old post, but wanted to respond to this: my failed charge port door was replaced via mobile service last spring, so I wonder what the issue was in your situation (still reading this thread…)

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Old post, but wanted to respond to this: my failed charge port door was replaced via mobile service last spring, so I wonder what the issue was in your situation (still reading this thread…)
I think the problem here is the lack of mobile service techs. I had one visit for a minor issue, but otherwise it’s off to the service center.

Reactions: Mike

oshw

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wife's Dec 2020 SR+ started opening on its own unattended and staying open when coming back to the car hours after parking.

Door replaced under warranty on that one, curious that it was replaced with yet another new part number (this has been 4 different part numbers on our two cars). Apparently the car "logs" indicated that the door needed service/replacement.

Will be interesting to see if they've finally fixed the problems with it. The thing is a complicated mess... Any time you get into mechanisms and the environment, this stuff gets really unreliable unless a lot of thought and testing is put into the design. I always think about reasons behind these design decisions - gas tank flaps vs what the cars have, and user convenience balanced with hopes of future charging automation.