Question Charge port door will not open

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder why these charge port door issues are being posted mostly be people who live in the "north"?

Is cold weather breaking these?

That's an interesting idea. My car lives in a garage, so it's not been subject to many, if any, icing conditions which might stress the mechanism. Maybe it's just the cold in general.

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not sure. My car is garaged all year, but my garage will get below freezing in the winter at times.

Yep...mine is garaged also.

However its not garaged at work. I'm waiting to see if after the 1st freeze/snow where the charge port door can't open due to weather.....if my "new" one breaks also.

I was really concerned about this this summer when it broke and I had no idea on how to change it - nor how much a new one costs.

Now that I know I can get one for around $50 and it only takes 20 min or so to swap it......I'm good.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting, have a link to this info?

A link?

I just purchased one from ebay. Then removed the 4 bolts and replaced it.

Keep in mind that 3 of the bolts are easy to see once you pull the carpet back enough. The 4th bolt is not as easy to see, however its easy to remove.

All of the 10mm bolts are easy to remove and re-install. The bolts mostly hold the charge port on...not the door. The door actually snaps onto the vehicle.

Last edited:

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A link?

I just purchased one from ebay. Then removed the 4 bolts and replaced it.

Keep in mind that 3 of the bolts are easy to see once you pull the carpet back enough. The 4th bolt is not as easy to see, however its easy to remove.

All of the 10mm bolts are easy to remove and re-install. The bolts mostly hold the charge port on...not the door. The door actually snaps onto the vehicle.

Since it's so simple, I wonder why mobile can't do the job? They specifically told me mobile can't do this. That would be way more convenient.

Reactions: Mike and iChris93

NR4P

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My door just failed, and its never that cold here.
Door drive motor failed.

Service told me to yank it open to charge car.

Door assembly replaced under warranty. For reference the bill showed $311 so that's the after warranty price.

• Informative

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think @SoFlaModel3 had an entire charge port replaced by mobile.

Wow good memory, that was February 2018.

IMG_1387.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Since it's so simple, I wonder why mobile can't do the job? They specifically told me mobile can't do this. That would be way more convenient.
My guess would be that the mobile tech in your area hasn't been trained to do so.
We know it's been done by mobile techs in the past.

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Mobile can certainly do this job.

They did mine about 2 years ago when I first got the car. Mobile replaced my charge port door in the parking lot of my job about 3 months after I received the car.

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
holes.jpg

Everyone,

You can see one of the 4 bolt holes that releases the charge port and allows it to fall into the car. See the bolt hole at the top of the charge port - thats one.

There are 2 more bolt holes that allows the visible bolt to form a triangle, The 4th bolt is directly in the middle of the triangle, however its difficult to see unless you stick your head in the trunk.

I circled where the bolts are.

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I forgot to report that a Ranger came out and replaced my chargeport door last week. It took less than 15 minutes, in my driveway. We had a nice chat. Great experience. He said it's a pretty common issue with the earlier cars.

This also reminded me that my old was was left in my trunk...so perhaps I'll tear it down and see if I can understand the mechanism and see if there is an obvious fix.

Also there was no programming/updating involved, so they should certainly be easy to swap in by anyone.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tried the open charge port function in the app. Says the port is open. I can't see to car to confirm, but last time I tried this it said "Failed to open charge port". It also shows it open on the car image.

As an update on this, I was able to open the door from the in car screen also. This after installing 48.12.1. I'm going to keep checking this for a few days, and if it remains operational, I'll cancel my SC visit for next week. If not, I'll let them change it.

So what do you think? Is this strictly a software issue, hardware issue or a little of both? My hardware appears to be working now, but maybe intermittently.

Last edited:

@gravityrydr

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As an update on this, I was able to open the door from the in car screen also. This after installing 48.12.1. I'm going to keep checking this for a few days, and if it remains operational, I'll cancel my SC visit for next week. If not, I'll let then change it.

So what do you think? Is this strictly a software issue, hardware issue or a little of both? My hardware appears to be working now, but maybe intermittently.

Some have reported this as a hardware issue. If you are having issues that can be replicated get it checked out if you are still under warranty.

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As an update on this, I was able to open the door from the in car screen also. This after installing 48.12.1. I'm going to keep checking this for a few days, and if it remains operational, I'll cancel my SC visit for next week. If not, I'll let then change it.

Mine was a hardware issue. It went away and came back again a few times until it finally went away and I replaced it.

JDM3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've had some inconsistent results over the past few days. When I put the car to bed tonight, the door opened fine. Let's see what tomorrow brings. :)

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Mine was a hardware issue. It went away and came back again a few times until it finally went away and I replaced it.

Service replaced the charge port door yesterday. I had to go there, so got to take a longish drive on a pretty nice day for late December. I was there less than an hour, and it was covered under warranty.

I had forgotten how the door snaps open/shut on command. Very nice. And it actually closes tight to the body again. Sometimes it's the little things that can make your day.