Charge port door opens on its own

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all. I took delivery of my Model 3 this week and when I picked it up, the battery was charged to 90%. I never charged it, in fact I didn't even unpack the UMC.

Earlier today, I was at my parents house showing them the car and we were standing a few feet from the car. The passenger doors were open, then all of a sudden, the charge port door opened and closed itself a few times. Then it stayed open. So I pushed it closed gently and it reopened. Once we walked away from the car and it locked itself, the charge port door stayed closed. When I got in the car to leave my parents' house, the screen had flickering vertical lines and weird colors. I held both steering wheel buttons until the screen went black to reset it and when the screen came back on, the screen was fine and I drove away.

Then after I got home from their house and pulled in my driveway, the charge port door spontaneously opened on its own again. Later this afternoon, I finally unpacked the UMC, plugged it in to my NEMA 14-50 and charged the car.

The charge port door didn't open while I was driving, and I'm only aware of it happening today when I had less than 100 miles of range left. It's almost like Little Shop Of Horrors saying Feed me Seymour!

Anyone have any idea why it's doing that?

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same symptoms and it's discussed in another thread along with an issue where I couldn't open the door from the UI inside the car; eventually I got an error message telling me my Charge Port Door Needs Service and to contact Tesla. Will call them tomorrow to followup. Perhaps the Moderators can merge our threads somehow into a Charge Port Door has a mind of its own or something like that? :) By the way, I have a suspicion that it might be associated with my phone as key so I've turned the phone Bluetooth off and will see what happens.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Based on reports here and other forums, this seems to be a fairly common issue and appears to be hardware related. I suspect Tesla is on this, it would be pretty costly for them to continually repair this issue

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was contacted by the Texas Remote Service guys (Tesla isn't allowed in NM) today who are likely coming out to have a look at the Charge Port Door. Will keep you all posted. Mine threw an error in addition to the unusual behavior Jason Bourne mentioned.

Attachments

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called in to Tesla Tech Support the other night and worked with a guy on the phone who remotely pulled the car's logs. He said he was seeing activity that will be very useful to the Model 3 team to solve the issue. He said someone would get back to me in a few days.

So far, the charge port door only opens when I'm outside the car and nearby - so I'm not over concerned. As long as it doesn't open while driving or while I'm not near the car.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They pulled my logs too and I'm pretty sure they were working the door remotely, running it through some testing after I called the first time. We'll see what they say the second time. A data point: my charge port door opened on its own while I was parked, sitting in the car, talking on the phone. Never while driving (to my knowledge).

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Mine was fine right up until I got 2018.4.9 700fb88 today. Now it exhibits this same behavior.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla service came by today (in a BIG Ford Diesel truck) and replaced my charge port door. Plus they upgraded the firmware and so far, all's well. It was the first Model 3 the guy had worked on (he was out of Scottsdale, AZ). He was pretty psyched to see it too.

Nova9031

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey there, just took my model 3 on March 29th. Just started to get this same situation: when unlocked, charge port would open and close like the car wanted to fly. When locked, port was closed.

Got the error, called Tesla, they immediately said, that they would order the part, without even looking at the car. I said "oh, well great, glad you know what part it needs" to which they said they wouldn't call it a "common item" but they have seen a number of other cars have the same problem.

They have the part on order and so I will just have a flight-eager car until then. One day sweetie, one day we will fly....