Charge Port Door - Manual Open Broke

Reed&Weep

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Charge port door will not open when manually pressed. This is caused by a missing parallelogram shaped piece of metal on the lower right underside of the door detaching. This metal piece falls off with a simple touch and can be lost very easily. So far my Model 3 and my father's have both had this piece fall off. Looks like an issue with the glue/adhesive used to attached this piece of metal to the plastic. With this piece missing, the charge port door still opens electronically with the onscreen button, mobile charger button or the app, and it does not cause issues with the car charging. For a $55k car, I am disappointed with this simple warranty issue and thinking it must be more wide spread.
Has anyone else had this issue? Have you fixed it yourself with superglue or had Tesla service center fix it for you under warranty?

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla will fix any issue you present. They're bending over backwards for owners. If you're uncomfortable gluing that piece back on or feel you shouldn't have to then give a call/email.

I have seen a number of people with the issue but I've not had the problem with mine (yet).

Reed&Weep

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I glued it back on with standard super glue. Manual function has returned to the charge port door. 24hrs after gluing it is still firmly in place. Looks like whoever was working the manufacturing line that week had the wrong bottles of glue. Hope this isn’t a foreshadowing of other simple issues.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Had mine 2.5 weeks and it just fell off yesterday. Like others, I just super glued it back in.

Reed&Weep

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I confirmed with Tesla Service that this issue is common. They said that superglue works and will bring back all function.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If anyone has a picture to attach here so we know what we're looking for, I would appreciate it. I might proactively reinforce the glue as I do not want to risk losing a part that might be small and fall out when I don't notice.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Literally touched mine and it fell off. Guess I will glue it on at some point or probably just let service do it when I take it in for a couple small items from delivery. I have only ever opened by pressing on it once so not too concerned about it.

Reed&Weep

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If anyone has a picture to attach here so we know what we're looking for, I would appreciate it. I might proactively reinforce the glue as I do not want to risk losing a part that might be small and fall out when I don't notice.

Attachments

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I confirmed with Tesla Service that this issue is common. They said that superglue works and will bring back all function.
Mine fell -- broke?? -- off when the door closed over the adapter that was locked in the port! I also don't/didn't use it too much.

FYI: I just went to the service center today [for another issue] and asked the tech if I could just glue it and he said to NOT glue it. They scheduled the Mobile Unit coming Monday to replace the door. He said its a 30-45 min job.

Sumiguchi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine fell -- broke?? -- off when the door closed over the adapter that was locked in the port! I also don't/didn't use it too much.

FYI: I just went to the service center today [for another issue] and asked the tech if I could just glue it and he said to NOT glue it. They scheduled the Mobile Unit coming Monday to replace the door. He said its a 30-45 min job.
Lol - gluing it is a 10 sec job... and from what I’ve read works every time. I guess if you need a tech anyways doesn’t hurt to get the “proper” fix.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was in for service and didn't even mention it to them. I never use that to open (though would be handy for non-Tesla charger without the button). I also think that is likely what causes some people to have it opening on its own. Maybe ensuring the sensitivity right is why they say don't just glue it in.

DannyHamilton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I mentioned that mine was missing when I was scheduling other service. Rather than gluing on a new piece of metal, the service tech that came out to my car replaced the entire charge port door assembly.

breadfan35

Country
Country
I've never been able to get the charge door to open by simply pressing on it, however that small piece is still there on mine.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I brought it up when I went in for tire rotation and other stuff. Agoura Hills told me that there’s a new version of the entire assembly because of this issue but, unfortunately, it was on back order so no joy.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Glad I found this thread! Yesterday, I couldn't open the door manually. Works fine with the app and from inside the car. I'll have to look and see if that piece is missing...Thanks for the post!

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine fell off a few hours ago. If there’s a revised part, that would be awesome. I’ll wait until they get my spoiler in. Whenever that will be.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I was wondering why my charge port seems to have stopped responding to a touch. Guessing it fell off somewhere then and I didn't notice it. Something I need to add to the list.