Charge Door Question

verygooddog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
20180920_162238-jpg.14840
20180920_162304-jpg.14841

When I opened the charge door a few minutes ago, the small piece of plastic (shown in the first photo) fell out. It clearly fits in the opening on the back of the charge door (in the upper right in the second photo), but it won't stay there when I push it in.

Does anyone know that this does and whether I should glue it in place?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep - it gets glued in to that corner. It plays a part in the "push to manual Open" I believe. Very common for it to fall out.

verygooddog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's actually not glued originally, but it's not staying put.
I can see no evidence that there was glue, either on the piece that fell out or on the charge door. I wonder what held it in place.

I actually recommend you get the charge port door replaced by Tesla.
Huh. That's interesting. Do you know if others have had this done?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can see no evidence that there was glue, either on the piece that fell out or on the charge door. I wonder what held it in place.

Huh. That's interesting. Do you know if others have had this done?
Many people have had it replaced.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Epoxy is the best glue to use for that, and that's what you should do rather than bother with a repair visit.
Tesla's policy is replace the whole unit, which makes no sense.
Mine fell out long ago (lost it), so I just taped a steel washer there. Works fine.
The "push to open" feature isn't really that important, unless you charge a lot at non-Tesla stations.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had one fall out, superglued it in, fell out again. Had the car in for some minor stuff and they replaced the door. The new door has not had the same problem. If you can get it to stay in there with some epoxy then good or the steel washer trick like @John mentioned above. If not then let Tesla replace the door and that should take care of it.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had one fall out, superglued it in, fell out again. Had the car in for some minor stuff and they replaced the door. The new door has not had the same problem. If you can get it to stay in there with some epoxy then good or the steel washer trick like @John mentioned above. If not then let Tesla replace the door and that should take care of it.
Yeah, anytime you bond to something flexible, you need to avoid using brittle adhesives like superglue. They just shatter the first time the door flexes.

They do make flexible super glues (sometimes they are black), but most people don't have those. Stuff like Gorilla Glue would work. Epoxies are pretty universally flexible to some extent, and bond well.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recall reading that the piece falling out is supposed to be fused with the plastic door - so no glue - that is why they replace the entire door. Otherwise, I would agree with using a flexible adhesive to remount it.

cain04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used the Tesla HPWC to open the door last week and I heard that plastic piece fall onto the floor. It has the smallest amount of adhesive to keep it in place.

Drove to Tesla and hoped the6 could see me right away. They did and told me that the glue is not meant for areas of weather fluctuation like humidity or even washing the car and water getting in can get it loose. They reglued it in, sent me an invoice stating it was “customer goodwill” (ah, no. That’s a defect but whatever) and sent me on my way.

I hope I don’t lose it again and it stays in place. No door replacement was ever mentioned.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used the Tesla HPWC to open the door last week and I heard that plastic piece fall onto the floor. It has the smallest amount of adhesive to keep it in place.

Drove to Tesla and hoped the6 could see me right away. They did and told me that the glue is not meant for areas of weather fluctuation like humidity or even washing the car and water getting in can get it loose. They reglued it in, sent me an invoice stating it was “customer goodwill” (ah, no. That’s a defect but whatever) and sent me on my way.

I hope I don’t lose it again and it stays in place. No door replacement was ever mentioned.
That's a relief. I had a long conversation with Tesla about how crazy it is to swap the unit for that. It is what it is. No doubt in the future they will glue them better and it won't be an issue.

When I get a chance, I'm going to machine some duplicates, powder coat them black, add very strong industrial VHB tape to the back, and donate them to my local Tesla Mobile team and anyone who wants one. Peal off the liner, stick it on. Voila.

Such an easy little thing to fix.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's a relief. I had a long conversation with Tesla about how crazy it is to swap the unit for that. It is what it is. No doubt in the future they will glue them better and it won't be an issue.

When I get a chance, I'm going to machine some duplicates, powder coat them black, add very strong industrial VHB tape to the back, and donate them to my local Tesla Mobile team and anyone who wants one. Peal off the liner, stick it on. Voila.

Such an easy little thing to fix.
Good idea. I have to agree, unless there is some other fundamental problem with the charge port door it seems very costly to be replacing the door for this item. I like that Tesla typically likes to do the right thing, but at what cost? A few of these kinds of fixes could be done much more reasonable.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good idea. I have to agree, unless there is some other fundamental problem...
I think the potential problem is that adding tape/glue makes it thicker, and the door already doesn't close flush.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the potential problem is that adding tape/glue makes it thicker, and the door already doesn't close flush.
There's a plastic ridge and a gasket that runs around the entire door that sticks out farther than the recess for the sensor target. My initial homemade "washer from my hardware drawer plus thick double-sided tape" didn't affect that one or way or another. I removed it, observed, replaced it. No change in flushificationality.

I ordered parts to make a somewhat more elegant replacement. At some point I'll announce to members so that they can hit me up for a free one, like I've done with the valet hooks. There's no sense to make an appointment for something so simple (and frankly, not that important).

Last edited:

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've also seen a YouTube video that seems to prove the sensor isn't that important.

Just glad mobile service replaced the entire port door assembly, I had been getting "Charge Port Needs Service" warning on occasion months prior but it never caused any loss in functionality.

The dreaded three messages that lead to my service call:

img_20180918_064049-jpg.14918

And no, I didn't pull the manual release...