Charge door not opening when pressing button on UMC

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The title says it all. I got my model 3 on Monday and supercharged it twice on the way home. I'm currently using the UMC to charge my car (waiting to get hpwc installed). When I go to charge my car I'll press the button on the charge handle and nothing happens.

I've made sure the car was unlocked and it registered that my phone was there. I've also rebooted the screen with no luck.

Pressing the button on the charge door does work, which is what I use currently. But I figured if my car is supposed to be doing something, I'd like to make sure it works.

Any suggestions on what I could/should do?

roarkrd

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I picked my Model 3 up yesterday and have noticed the same thing. I can open it manually, but the UMC button will not open it. Not sure what the issue is.

Beagle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure what the button on the charge door is, but has your car been 'awake', i.e. windows extended?

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't panic...it may be a newer software issue. My UMC was working perfectly since my July 13th delivery until my recent 32.6 update (9/5/18) and now within two days it's happened twice where the door doesn't respond to the UMC.

I'm guessing anyone picking up in the last few days likely has the same update installed.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this same problem with my first UMC. Had the car in for service on other minor items and they checked the signal from the UMC. Said the signal was too weak and replaced the UMC. I haven't checked it since but now I guess I should!

Edit: Just checked the new UMC on a 110V circuit, opened the door just fine from 8 feet away.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having the issue. Wish it wasn't affecting so many others though. Like I said it's not the end of the world because there are a plethora of options. I'll probably bring it up whenever I have to contact the service center. Maybe version 9 will fix a lot of "undocumented features"

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember when I first got mine, it had some issues are well. But once I learned to actually press the right button and feel the click, it worked so much better.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember when I first got mine, it had some issues are well. But once I learned to actually press the right button and feel the click, it worked so much better.
Yeah that definitely not my issue...been using it for 2-months daily and now it's acting up the day I updated the software... coincidence? maybe, but I doubt it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well unfortunately I've gotten two updates and it still doesn't open. I guess I'll call the service center to see what they say

roarkrd

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
They had to replace my UMC and the charge port door. The button on the original UMC couldn’t be depressed, or was missing entirely. After replacing the UMC, the mobile service guy found that the charge port door was also faulty and didn’t open 90% of the time.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They had to replace my UMC and the charge port door. The button on the original UMC couldn’t be depressed, or was missing entirely. After replacing the UMC, the mobile service guy found that the charge port door was also faulty and didn’t open 90% of the time.
Did you have to go to a service center for this or did a mobile tech do it?