Changing the mounting plastic tabs on theRear License Plate Frame?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone changed the plastic tabs to allow a secure license plate frame to be installed. I have CHP 11-99 plates and I don't want them stolen when I install them so I use locking screws (the ones that you need a special tool to unlock) but the existing plastic tabs are just big enough for a self taping small screw not a secure screw. Has anyone changed the tabs and what is your experience? Thanks.

byee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've also had trouble with the plastic anchors popping out, there's not a lot holding them in. Have a post on the design section of the forums to see if others had the same issue.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone changed the plastic tabs to allow a secure license plate frame to be installed. I have CHP 11-99 plates and I don't want them stolen when I install them so I use locking screws (the ones that you need a special tool to unlock) but the existing plastic tabs are just big enough for a self taping small screw not a secure screw. Has anyone changed the tabs and what is your experience? Thanks.
Maybe take off the plastic inner trunk lid liner and if the rear of the plate mounts are visible you could bolt the plates on with a washer and nut on the back.
For screws I used #8 stainless screws 1/2” long (3/4” with a plate cover) with stainless washers.

Country
Country
I had to go to Service center as the delivery center installed my license plate using the wrong screws, essentially stripping the plastic tabs and making it impossible to remove the screws.

The Service center was able to yank the plastic tabs out using pliers (I think) and install new ones in about 30 min.