Changing limit on current manually

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I scanned the board, and I didn't see an answer to this. Maybe I just missed it. Just took delivery of the Model 3. I have a few electricians coming to bid on putting in a 240V circuit for charging. But in the meantime, I am using the charger that came with the car hooked up to a 120V/20A plug. I noticed that the amps pulled is limited to 12A. Perhaps it is due to using the adapter that came with the kit. Should I manually change the amperage to 16A? Are there any unforeseen pitfalls?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed that the amps pulled is limited to 12A. Perhaps it is due to using the adapter that came with the kit.
That is why. The car comes with a NEMA 5-15 adapter. A 20 amp outlet uses a NEMA 5-20 interface. Tesla sells that adapter if you plan on using that outlet regularly and want the extra 4 amps.

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters, $35

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is why. The car comes with a NEMA 5-15 adapter. A 20 amp outlet uses a NEMA 5-20 interface. Tesla sells that adapter if you plan on using that outlet regularly and want the extra 4 amps.
Thank you, I know why it is limited. But $35 plus delivery time, I may as well wait for the electrician to install a proper outlet. My question is: Can I (or should I) go into the control settings and manually dial the amperage up to 16 Amps? Does the control even allow me to do such a thing? And are there other pitfalls I have not considered?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thank you, I know why it is limited. But $35 plus delivery time, I may as well wait for the electrician to install a proper outlet. My question is: Can I (or should I) go into the control settings and manually dial the amperage up to 16 Amps? Does the control even allow me to do such a thing? And are there other pitfalls I have not considered?
I believe the car is delivered with the highest charge amperage limit (48 amps). However, it will only charge at the speed allowed by the Mobile Connector (as determined by the specific pigtail used) or by the Wall Connector (as determined by the setting of the micro-rotary switch that is set to correspond to available amperage).

You can set the charge amperage limit as high as you want but that is just the upper limit - it will charge at the lower limit of the charging cable.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My question is: Can I (or should I) go into the control settings and manually dial the amperage up to 16 Amps?
That's not necessary. As you've already seen, the Mobile Connector automatically limits charging current based on what adapter is connected to it. So you can leave the car set to ask for 48 amps.

bid on putting in a 240V circuit for charging..............with the car hooked up to a 120V/20A plug.
YAAY!! Thank-you PJ for using the correct U.S. voltage values! SOOO many folks continue to misstate “110 volts” and “220 volts” on this forum. I would most certainly shy away from using those owner's electrical advice since they are devoid of that most basic fundamental U.S. electrical grid knowledge.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Question for everyone here. I have a HPWC on a 60 amp dedicated circuit. When I plug my Model 3 into it, it only pulls 36 amps and gives me about 30 miles of range per hour of charging. The car is limited to 48 amps, right? If so, why will it only pull 36? What am I missing? Is there a setting somewhere that is preventing it from charging over 36 amps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Question for everyone here. I have a HPWC on a 60 amp dedicated circuit. When I plug my Model 3 into it, it only pulls 36 amps and gives me about 30 miles of range per hour of charging. The car is limited to 48 amps, right? If so, why will it only pull 36? What am I missing? Is there a setting somewhere that is preventing it from charging over 36 amps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

There are switches inside the HPWC that require being set for proper voltage based on your hookup.

Attachments

Country
Country
There are switches inside the HPWC that require being set for proper voltage based on your hookup.
I guess I didn’t do my homework. I ran a dedicated 100a circuit (2ga) and installed the HPWC so I could change at 80a if needed in a pinch but I find out the car only goes to 48a max, does anybody know why? My wife and I each have a 19’ M3P, I assumed they make the WC go to 80a so at least the newest model cars would be able to accept it.
Guess I was wrong (head down).

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess I didn’t do my homework. I ran a dedicated 100a circuit (2ga) and installed the HPWC so I could change at 80a if needed in a pinch but I find out the car only goes to 48a max, does anybody know why? My wife and I each have a 19’ M3P, I assumed they make the WC go to 80a so at least the newest model cars would be able to accept it.
Model 3 LR models are limited to 48A by their on board circuitry.

However Supercharging will go beyond that.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
some of the older S/X have dual chargers that can take advantage of the higher amps the WC can accommodate.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Not all is in vain. You can wire two HPWC to the same 100 amp circuit and charge both your Model 3's at 40 amps simultaneously due to the magic of load sharing.