Change in tire rotation recommendation?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think there has been a change from Tesla in the recommended timing for tire rotation:

I got my Model 3 Performance in December. At the time, the owner's manual suggested tire rotations every 6,250 miles.

I'm now at that point (actually more miles on the car, but I swapped out the summer tires for all season early on), so I double checked the manual using the one available from the screen in the car then again on my "manage" screen on Tesla.com....

...And the recommendation now says "Tesla recommends rotating the tires every 10,000-12,000 miles (16,000-20,000 km)." (I added the bold part).

So: What should I do? Should I rotate now, or wait until 10,000 miles? Anyone have any idea about the reasons for the changed recommendation?

Thanks!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The manual is just a guide and Elon's Tweet is really what should always be followed anyway. Ultimately its really simple -- just check your tires every month or so with a tread depth gauge and if the wear is uneven swap them otherwise there is no reason to bother. Here is a video I made ...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So: What should I do? Should I rotate now, or wait until 10,000 miles? Anyone have any idea about the reasons for the changed recommendation?

Thanks!
rotate them when they start to show uneven wear. I have nearly 10k miles (9,881!) and checked my tread a week or so ago and all were exactly the same. if that is the case, there really is no need to rotate them. If you are seeing uneven wear, they need to be rotated (and look into what is causing the uneven wear).

Ksb466

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To me the more newsworthy update in the maintenance schedule is that the battery coolant never needs changing. That used to be a biannual thing at a cost of a couple hundred dollars I think. That used to make me think Tesla maintenance = ICE. These changes give tesla a clear lead now in that comparison.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My tires wear unevenly front to back (even after alignment), and 5-6K is keeping them even (LR RWD). My tire place does it for free. I think Elon is trying to minimize necessary service costs for comparison.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My tires wear unevenly front to back
Rotating tires in this case allows you to replace all four at once. And this is nice so that your tires all remain matched (make/model) should you decide on a different replacement tire.

But if you're planning to buy the same make & model tires as replacements, then it's not necessary to rotate tires due to uneven front-back wear.

Mosess

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The old concept of rotating tires is not exactly applicable to this car, especially the AWD versions because torque control to all tires is applied so precisely that they are always evenly stressed. ICE cars with FWD or RWD need rotations because of the uneven stresses the tires experience especially during turns. ICE cars with AWD need it even more because the gearing can never apply the torque to all 4 wheels as evenly as independent motors with refresh rates thousands of times per second can.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Helpful, thanks all.

So that's a bug-into-a-feature for ICE cars: since they go for service every 5k-10k miles, the service techs point out stuff like uneven wear/need for rotation.

But I'm sure I can use a fraction of that money and time to buy a gauge and check every so often.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My tires wear unevenly front to back (even after alignment), and 5-6K is keeping them even (LR RWD). My tire place does it for free. I think Elon is trying to minimize necessary service costs for comparison.
Exactly, RWD will absolutely be uneven without rotation. Without rotation I would doubt they would last 12-15k.

Did my first rotation at about 6,500mi and although I didn't take any official measurements, the rears were visibly rounded and less tread than the fronts.

I can't imagine I'll be getting even 20k mi out of this OEM set, which is OK because then I'll move to a true winter set on the 18" Aeros and an aftermarket 19" performance tire set.

Last edited:

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Exactly, RWD will absolutely be uneven without rotation. Without rotation I would doubt they would last 12-15k.

Did my first rotation at about 6,500mi and although I didn't take any official measurements, but the rears were visibly rounded and less tread than the fronts.

I can't imagine I'll be getting even 20k mi out of this OEM set, which is OK because then I'll move to a true winter set on the 18" Aeros and an aftermarket 19" performance tire set.
Contrast this with my Performance Model. I have 30,000 miles, rotated once at 6500 only because mobile service was in my driveway waiting for a part. I just measured, and wear is significant but even. Looks like I'll be replacing at about 36K. EDIT: I'm running 18" oem michelen primacy.

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Rotating tires in this case allows you to replace all four at once. And this is nice so that your tires all remain matched (make/model) should you decide on a different replacement tire.

But if you're planning to buy the same make & model tires as replacements, then it's not necessary to rotate tires due to uneven front-back wear.
I don't know how I feel about driving around on tires so unevenly worn.
Seems like a recipe for swapping ends on a rainy day, but I'm no expert.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Helpful, thanks all.

So that's a bug-into-a-feature for ICE cars: since they go for service every 5k-10k miles, the service techs point out stuff like uneven wear/need for rotation.

But I'm sure I can use a fraction of that money and time to buy a gauge and check every so often.
They just prey on unsuspected customers walking into a dealership already getting an oil change.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Michelin recommends rotating their acoustic tires every 10,000 km. The 18 inch Primacy are "acoustic" tires. I suspect Tesla was just parroting what the tire manufacturer was suggesting. I've rotated mine at that interval and I'm heading towards 30k miles on mine in case you need another data point on tire life.

Milo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Perhaps the dual motor cars wear more evenly, but my RWD M3 shows uneven front/back wear and my plan is to rotate when I swap out for winter tires (which in MN is almost half the year).