CHAdeMO support for Model 3 is coming

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The description explicitly says the adapter is not for the model 3. Even though it is in the model 3 accessory section. And yes, $450 ... not cheap.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The description explicitly says the adapter is not for the model 3. Even though it is in the model 3 accessory section. And yes, $450 ... not cheap.
Strangely the description said it WAS compatible with model 3 an hour ago, but it wasn't listed on the Model 3 section.
Now it's in the model 3 section but the description is changed back to saying not compatible.
Someone is very confused at Tesla, or they really are preparing to release the update.

bwilson4web

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yep - completely gone now. Just ask them for a CCS adapter instead.
One rated at 150 kW would be nice. This would at least give some parity to the excessive minute-charges of the CCS providers. One quick charge and get the heck out of Dodge. Now if the software would stop when the charging rate reaches say 50 kW and then 'disappears' the car. In effect, make the car appear to be 'gone.'

Bob Wilson

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last week I noticed that the in-car manual explicitly talks about CHAdeMO being one of the adapters available for use with the model 3. But only in the online manual you read on the car screen. The adapter page in the PDF via the web does not mention CHAdeMO.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Strangely the description said it WAS compatible with model 3 an hour ago, but it wasn't listed on the Model 3 section.
Now it's in the model 3 section but the description is changed back to saying not compatible.
Someone is very confused at Tesla, or they really are preparing to release the update.
I found the same thing with the corded version of the wall charger (looks like a MC, but it has a built in 15-40) it was not listed in the model 3 section of chargers, but the accompanying manual said it was compatible with the model 3.

I do believe that Tesla's right hand needs to meet Telsa's left hand.

bwilson4web

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
EVgo and Electrify America EVSE costing around $0.30/minute and limited to 50 kW, I'm not interested in a CHAdeMO:
  • 50 kW / 60 = 0.833 kWh / minute
  • $0.30 / 0.833 = $0.36 / kWh :: too expensive
  • 101 kW / 50 kW = 2.02 times slower peak rate
There may be edge cases where CHAdeMO makes sense but not for me. Now a 100-150 kW CCS adapter makes some sense IF there is no SuperCharger around. It becomes somewhat competitive with the SuperCharge limited to 15-16 minutes.

Bob Wilson

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
up here in the land of moose and maple syrup, the government electric company (BCHydro) is putting in CHAdeMO at an equal amount to CCS - so no go there without the CHAdeMO adapter being model 3 enabled. Private companies using chargepoint (or Flo or whatever) are J1772 of course.

The further north you go, the more likely it's a BCHydro charger so model 3's are hooped without the adapter.

PetroCan (a Canadian Gas pump company across the nation) is putting in chargers and they are dual installs one CCS and one CHAdeMO. So more hoopage for the model 3 until the adapter happens.

Thom Moore

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I got one for $450 for our Model S. That still doesn't excuse it for being incompatible with our Model 3. It's a lot of trouble and cost for very little benefit. When I first got it, it wouldn't work and had to go in for a firmware update at the service center to be operational with the Model S. Luckily I have never had to depend on it for anything. Anyone want to buy it? ;-)

Thom Moore

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
During my test drive yesterday, the Tesla person confirmed that the Chademo adapter is working with the 3 now. I forgot to check the firmware though.
(EU LR)
Careful; could just be an ill-informed staff member. Remember, Tesla actually announced that on their own shopping site, before they rescinded the statement. Let's get confirmation that someone has actually used one and found it to work. I will put mine back in my Model 3 for a test as soon as I can get by a CHAdeMO station and report. Please report your results here!

Thom Moore

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I consider CHAdeMo to be a dying standard. Other than Nissan in Japan and the U.S., almost no one who is currently buiding EVs is using it. Best to move on to CCS and be done with it.
With all due respect, many of us actually possess a Tesla adapter and there are hundreds if not thousands of existing chargers that support using it IF Tesla would make it work. This isn't a theoretical discussion about a possible purchase. It's about real hardware for which folks paid good money to Tesla, which is currently dishonoring our good faith in making that purchase from them on the understanding that it would work with any Tesla vehicle (apart from a gen 1 Roadster).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's about real hardware that folks paid good money for and Tesla is dishonoring our good faith in making that purchase from them.
I presume you purchased this for an earlier S/X, right? With the exemption of it showing up for a half day on the Model 3 store site recently, Tesla has never claimed the CHAdeMo would work with the 3, so don't see how they would be dishonoring the purchase.

Thom Moore

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
The presence of a CHAdeMO female plug on one end and a Tesla male plug on the other end implies the ability to connect those two devices, whether or not that is explicitly stated. When I buy a second Tesla, a Model 3, with the exact same connector as my Model S, and which works on all the same chargers as my Model S, it seems to me a reasonable expectation that this adapter functionality is also present. When I learned that it is not, I was immediately in touch with my service advisor, to no avail, as he had no idea why it would not work or when it would.

I suspect most people would have the same expectation [insult removed]

Given that all the proper pin connections are present in the adapter, it seems clear that implied operation would require at most a software/firmware adjustment within the Tesla Model 3 or the adapter, to make it work as a Model S does with the CHAdeMO charging station. I doubt very much that there is any technical reason why this would be unreasonably difficult to implement. Absent that, Tesla must simply have decided not to make the adapter to work or has actively assured that it will not, for reasons only they can know.