CHAdeMO support for Model 3 is coming

Pepper

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is a CHAdeMo adapter for Teslas for rent/sale at a place in San Marcos, CA. Quick Charge Power makes them on site. I've bought their Jlong extension cord to get around ICEers and it works nicely. Good quality.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some conflicting posts here! Pepper: when you say it "works nicely", do you mean on your Model 3?

Is it possible a recent software revision has changed the situation?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some conflicting posts here! Pepper: when you say it "works nicely", do you mean on your Model 3?

Is it possible a recent software revision has changed the situation?
The “it works nicely” was referring to the jlong cord, not chademo

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While browsing the Electrify America Site, I came across this snippet buried in a footnote of their webpage:

Tesla vehicles can charge at Electrify America stations at 50kW using the CHAdeMO connector and available Tesla/CHAdeMO adaptor.

Is there actually a Tesla / CHAdeMO adapter?

chademo-jpg.23239

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah, thanks.

Our better bet at this point is to forget Chademo and move on to CCS. It's much faster and already being built in to the cars being delivered overseas.
Agreed on this fact. Electrify America notes that their CCS chargers should be 150kw in urban, 350kw along travel routes.

I'm getting into this since Matt Farrah of The Smoking Tire is railing against the state of public charging at the moment, since he has been driving an iPace press car. He's an EV fan in general and I can't say that I disagree with him. It's a lot more difficult to own an EV if you don't have a garage, especially if it's not a Tesla. Not impossible, but a LOT more difficult than owning a Tesla or an ICE car.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm all for anyone owning these cars, but have always agreed, it you don't have access to a good charging solution at home it is difficult at best. I know it is the chicken or the egg concept, one has to come before the other, but I really feel to own an EV for daily driving you need to have a home charging solution. Condos and apartments are behind the 8 ball on this, but they are all in for a profit and haven't embraced EV charging very well. Maybe we will have a full network of chargers someday just like gas stations that will support those that don't charge at home, but today at best the network barely supports travelers. Urban areas, especially CA have lines and waits to charge in some locations and that just doesn't seem practical if that is your only way to charge.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Let’s hope they have CCS included when they release the Chademo support. CCS is Being rolled out with Electrify America and will blow Chademo away on charging speeds. Not only the adapter is needed but Tesla needs to add EA to the map and enable the battery heating/conditioning when en route to one of those chargers as well as their own SC’ers.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yesterday one of my local EV advocacy groups posted this on CHAdeMo, and thought the wording on Tesla was weird.
Why is it a separate stat from EVs as a whole? (regardless how many of those 540k Teslas currently are CHAdeMo capable). Even within EV groups, it still seems like Tesla is the black sheep and excluded or looked at differently than the established automaker's EVs.

anyway, the link in the tweet has some interesting charge style stats.