Chademo and CCS Charging in Canada.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
There is a Petrol gas station chain in Canada called, PetroCan. A couple months ago they started, building EV charging on there cross country station chain. This week apparently the Government of Canada has dropped a load of cash on them to expand their network and speed up the rollout.

Apparently the the CCs charger is 200kw, and the Chademo is 100kw. PetroCan Site

And Totally free until the fall.

I was wondering can Teslas Charge with CCS at all?

And can Tesla Support chademo at 100 kw?.

We have areas in ontario (North of Lake Superior), that is a Supercharger desert. Not to mention out west.

Thanks for any feedback.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, North American Teslas cannot use CCS at this time. European Model 3s use CCS for fast charging, but they have CCS2, while North America has CCS1, so they're not compatible anyhow.

Tesla offers a CHAdeMO adapter, but it's $602 CAD, and limited to 50kW.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
And there still isn't a Supercharger in thunderbay. I would have to go to the next province. :(

I plan on getting a model 3 Soon. and wanted to go on a cross canada trip ro see some people in the west coast. Not likely to happen unless I take a tow truck.

At least with limited Chademo. (50kw ), I can charge. now.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hear you, I just took a 10 hour each way road trip this weekend from Vancouver area to Prince George and back. But I did it in the PHEV because there is only level 2 north of Kamloops. I could not quite make it to PG from Kamloops on the MR battery and then I would be looking at 10 hours on a charger in PG.

I could have made it work if I had taken an extra day each direction to destination charge en route and also stayed at the only hotel in PG with a dest charger, but the trip was for a memorial service so time was better spent with family and the hotel was a group booking with relatives.

family wins out over the benefits of driving the Tesla vs the Volvo (and to be honest the 28 year Volvo love affair runs strong in me).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you check Tesla's Supercharger Map, you'll see that they have plans to install adequate supercharging locations along the ideal route in 2019, including in Thunder Bay.
But installation dates often slip, so it's not clear when this will be completed.

1563294385779.png

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla has been putting a lot of energy (pun intended) into the Canadian infrastructure. With over 10% of sales in Vancouver alone, no big surprise.

But with PetroCan across Canada (and BChydro across BC) putting in fast level 1 chargers, would the money be better spent on getting an adapter working for model 3's?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...fast level 1 chargers...
Level 1 refers to 120v AC charging, so I assume you mean CCS-1.

It kind of sucks that a world-wide fast-charging standard isn't going to happen. Europe seems to be doing a good job of standardizing on CCS-2, but in North America, CCS-1 has to try to beat out the much-older and better-established Tesla and Chademo networks.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would absolutely love a model 3 CCS1 adapter for Canada. Chademo is a nice touch but quite expensive. With petrocan's rollouts plus FLO level 3, I think their level 3 offerings may outnumber superchargers (stations, not plugs) soon if not already.
I imagine it's probably a trivial problem, surely not an impossible fix. I hope it looks more like the EU CCS adapter. (no active components, just wire to wire adapt with maybe communication bus interpretation).

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I had a crazy thought.

Could I buy a European right hand drive Model3. (CCS-2), and get a adapter for Supercharger, and CCS1, and also get a Chademo, and use every charger.
only issue would be the cost.
:(

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the east west corridor along the number 1 makes great sense for SC installs. Huge respect to Tesla for doing this.

Between provincial initiatives (BC Hydro) and corporate investment (PetroCan) the north/south routes will be covered with DC fast for the rest of the highways for Chademo. And with the model 3 chademo charger looking to be moving from rumour/promise to existing item we can use those DC fast chargers.

I can do a 10 hour trip with DC charging along the way, i could not do that with level 2 240v charging.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you check Tesla's Supercharger Map, you'll see that they have plans to install adequate supercharging locations along the ideal route in 2019, including in Thunder Bay.
But installation dates often slip, so it's not clear when this will be completed.

View attachment 27666
'slipping' seems to be the norm (at least in the NW) for the supercharger map's future locations. Multiple around here have been on the map listed as "by the end of 2016", then "by the end of 2017", then "by the end of 2018", now "by the end of 2019"... see a pattern here?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a crazy thought.

Could I buy a European right hand drive Model3. (CCS-2), and get a adapter for Supercharger, and CCS1, and also get a Chademo, and use every charger.
only issue would be the cost.
:(
you could try https://www.evseadapters.com/produc...bo-1-to-ccs-combo-2-ev-quick-charger-adapter/ (for $877 plus the price of the Euro spec'd car, transport from Europe, etc).
is there a Euro Supercharger to NA Supercharger adaptor (that still would communicate with Tesla)? I've only seen mention of US to Euro connectors.

BUT you can't import a Tesla into Canada that wasn't out of the factory as Canadian bound.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
you are the first m3 in canada with 24.4 i have seen. did you get CHADemO support? I've seen a report that EU did not get CHADemO with 24.4

please comment in the 24.4 thread, just wanted to ping you here based on your comment in this thread.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
cool, now I can order the adapter. Not that I don't trust Tesla rollouts, but I've learned to wait for confirmation on the rumours of glory.