Chademo adapter

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I found several reports stating that it does NOT work.

Does anyone know wether:

1) it will come with a software update

2) there will be a specific/different adapter for Model 3

3) Model 3 will never be able to charge on Chademo

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found several reports stating that it does NOT work.

Does anyone know wether:

1) it will come with a software update

2) there will be a specific/different adapter for Model 3

3) Model 3 will never be able to charge on Chademo
1- it will be activated in a future update. Tesla has already confirmed this with buyers at delivery or during the order/delivery process.
2- not likely to have a reason for the equipment to be different than the S/X adaptor if the Supercharger DC plug works the same between all, why wouldn't the ChaDeMo?
3- see #1

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
We know Tesla was testing Model 3 with CHAdeMO adapters (https://www.google.ca/amp/s/electrek.co/2017/05/27/tesla-model-3-ccs-chademo-charging-station/amp/) but so far they have not enabled it in production cars yet. I suspect it will be a software update on the car in the future.
The adapters are still pretty expensive. The rates I've seen (and paid for) are along the lines of filling up with gas (not like electric rates). In the US they're pretty hard to find. I wrote up my experience here:
http://teslaliving.net/2017/08/12/road-trips-chademo-charging/

I'd think carefully before going down the CHAdeMO path again. It was an interesting experiment but not worth the money or aggravation.

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I already have the adapter, live in an area (and State) where there are plenty of Chademo stations, and am looking forward to using them with my Model 3...

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hi everyone,

Nothing new on that front ?
Trust you mean whether the ChadeMo adapter works on the 3? Can’t remember any current owner mentioning it.
Having just talked to the T≡SLA rep in the SW :france: after I bought Red Dragon, found out the adapter costs over €500 which is a bit excessive for me.
With the ever expanding SC network in Europe and my Wall connector at home, I’d rather try to survive without... :eek: