Country
Country
Last edited:

Jb1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for the heads up!! I look forward to this threads comments. Has anyone tried it yet 🤔

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
fantastic - really looking forward to this. unfortunately 2 weeks too late for my trip last weekend to PG, but very cool.

and for a bonus, when 2019.24 comes along we will know for certain one of the features of the update instead of our usual guessing game. although this one is likely to be in the docs :)

sterickson

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ordered one, hoping to use it on my trip from PA to NH, and back, this weekend, but it hasn't shipped yet, and I don't have the firmware yet, either. Next trip, I guess. I want to try it at my favorite rest area, in Charlton, MA, which I notice has EvGo chargers now.

Zimmra

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got the update and gave this a whirl today, works just as expected, I'm a happy camper. Chargepoint down the street capped out at ~40/41kW. Now I won't have to hog the J1772's for the entire work day and can get my complete charge done in <2hrs.

Weird thing is I cannot get Chargepoint DC fast chargers to populate in the app, no matter how I modify the filters. Anyways the card in my Apple Wallet still authorized at the station and allowed me to charge.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Weird thing is I cannot get Chargepoint DC fast chargers to populate in the app
does the chargepoint app have you enter your car model? possibly they have it set to filter out the options they know to work with each model and haven't yet updated the Model 3 specs.. IE, does it show up if you said you have a model s?

Zimmra

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
does the chargepoint app have you enter your car model? possibly they have it set to filter out the options they know to work with each model and haven't yet updated the Model 3 specs.. IE, does it show up if you said you have a model s?
It does but I don't think it uses that for any validation, I think just for mid-charge statistics.
I had already tried that with a Leaf SV which has the port built into it and no dice, doesn't populate when I do an S either. I see them elsewhere in the app, just not this one in my town and I am not sure if there are any others here. It populates EVgo ones within the app.

bwilson4web

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
BENCHMARK PLAN

I'll make three loops doing: SuperCharger, Electrify America, and EVgo. I'll leave Huntsville with a 15% SOC (36 mi) reserve and drive to Chattanooga, to normalize the SR+M3. There I will charge enough to have a 15% reserve (36 mi) to the same charger network in Nashville. Finally I'll charge to reach the free, CHAdeMO/CCS charger in Huntsville before heading home.

The goals:
  1. Cost of each SuperCharger, CHAdeMO via Electrify America, and CHAdeMO via EVgo.
  2. Charging profile at each network, the charge as a function of time recorded using "Time Lapse"
There is an Athens AL SuperCharger but it isn't clear we gain anything as I've already got a Nashville-to-Athens benchmark and a full SuperCharger record. However, there has been a suggestion that since my last video recording of a full charge, the SuperCharger profile may have changed. I will monitor and decide on the way back if another, full charge session is needed.

INITIAL TESTING

I borrowed a CHAdeMO adapter and went to the local, free CCS-1/CHAdeMO charging station to make sure everything works:

Past experience with my BMW i3-REx revealed we never get more than 100A from this unit. So the actual kW is driven by the battery battery voltage until the taper begins to reduce the current.

My first test, dangled the adapter and cable but it shutdown in a few minutes:

I suspect the tension on the adapter-cable or the heavy torque on the Tesla port cause a momentary, electrical problem triggering the abort.

Initial charging rate is consistent with the SOC of the Tesla:

After the abort, I draped the CHAdeMO adapter and cable over the back of the car and there were no more interruptions:

It looks like a strap from inside the car out the rear glass could hold the adapter and cable up to offload the mechanical stress on the connectors. I'll do some experiments.

To protect the paint, a blanket or throw rug might keep the cable from direct contact with the car:

However, I could try parking on the wrong side of the street so the cable does not stretch across the car.

As the charge tapered down, the voltage was higher but the current significantly smaller, about half the initial value:

Bob Wilson

Last edited:

bwilson4web

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Initial data using the free, CHAdeMO / CCS-1, fast DC charger in Huntsville. I stopped at 112 minutes because the cell phone battery was below 10%:
  • Use SPACE to toggle run/stop
  • Use "." to forward one frame
  • Use "," to backup one frame
  • Standard Range Plus Model 3: 2019.24.4
  • EVpump: Version 8.9B, firmware 4.7.6, (max 100 A), 30 min segments
Charge curve:

I've attached a spreadsheet coded from the video and used to make the charge graph.

Bob Wilson

Attachments

Last edited:

Zimmra

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Initial data using the free, CHAdeMO / CCS-1, fast DC charger in Huntsville. I stopped at 112 minutes because the cell phone battery was below 10%
  • Use SPACE to toggle run/stop
  • Use "." to forward one frame
  • Use "," to backup one frame
  • Standard Range Plus Model 3: 2019.24.4
  • EVpump: Version 8.9B, firmware 4.7.6, (max 100 A), 30 min segments
Charge curve:

I've attached a spreadsheet coded from the video and used to make the charge graph.

Bob Wilson
Weird to see your kW drop so sharply at 80% SOC, I haven't seen kW drop-off until I near 90%. Perhaps settings from the provider?
I use chargepoint for my chademo charging. For reference I started the charge at 20% SOC and the screenshot was taken when the Tesla app was reporting 89% SOC and was reporting 34kW (versus the 37.48kW reported by chargepoint). Earlier in the charge the ~40/~41 kW was consistent with what the Tesla app was reporting as well.
1564418564699.png

bwilson4web

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Based on this data, a CHAdeMO should be unplugged at 40 kW, ~78% SOC, ~185-190 mi. Beyond this, you paying for fewer and fewer miles. Now unlike the SuperCharger, the goal is to reach the next charging station so your SOC is 70-75%. That way you get to most charge at the highest possible power for the lowest possible cost. So how much would it cost?

The cost and rates for 65 minutes, maximum practical charge, ~185-190 mi range:
  • $22.75 - $0.35/min - EVgo
  • $14.65 = $1 + $13.65 - $0.21/min - Electrify America
I may reduce my benchmark runs to Huntsville - Chattanooga - Manchester and home. Shorter legs which means the fixed session costs increases the expense. However, I will save an hour of CHAdeMO charging.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
what'd you think of the experience.
The first problem was to offload the mechanical stress on the Tesla connector. With the trunk open, there is a frame part that an adjustable strap:

It does not go over the trunk weather seal so it may be possible to close the trunk in wet weather without risk of damaging the trunk-to-quarter panel gap. I was happy the lower part did not rub against the paint.

The charging curves:

• 40 kW @28-29 min - SuperCharger
  • 40 kW @65 min - CHAdeMO
The SuperCharger is front loaded and puts a faster charge while the CHAdeMO is taking twice as long. But slow has a cooling advantage so the car doesn't have to crank up the A/C to cool the battery. This is not a big problem but just an aside.

Bob Wilson

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bob, Appreciate all the information but not sure how haw many KW 185-190 range is for you. Is it 40KW?

if I had a choice of all 3, what would be helpful:

To charge from 15% to 80% SOC* uses xx KW and

EVgo cost = ? Time =?
Electrify America cost = ? Time =?
SuperCharger cost = ? Time = ?

*I picked 15% to 80% so that eliminates slowdowns after 80%.
But any before and after data points could be used if you have the data

Thanks for spending the time and $ on this test.

bwilson4web

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Picking a common point, the 40 kW charge rate, it an adequate 'equal' point because both SuperCharger and CHAdeMO taper down their charging rate afterwards commanded by the car. Regardless of what went on before, now the car won't let more than 40 kW come in as the battery has achieved the same SOC.
EVgo cost = ? Time =?
Electrify America cost = ? Time =?
SuperCharger cost = ? Time = ?
Since the battery in both cases at 40 kW has achieved the same storage, the cost to get there is the time to reach it times the published rates. But I did not calculate the SuperCharger rate which I'll add:
  • 40 kW @28-29 min - SuperCharger
    • ~17 min Tier 1, $0.26/min (experimentally verified)
    • ~12 min Tier 2, $0.13/min
  • 40 kW @65 min - CHAdeMO (both EVgo and Electrify America have 50 kW CHAdeMO)
    • $0.25/min - Electrify America (some questions about this vs $1 session and $0.21/min)
    • $0.35/min - EVgo
So this is what I would expect to pay to reach 40 kW charge rate and similar battery SOC:
  • $5.98 = $4.42 + $1.56 :: SuperCharger
  • $16.25 :: Electrify America
  • $22.75 :: EVgo
Bob Wilson