Ceramic Coating the the rear glass

bonzo

Country
Country
I'm considering ceramic coating (CQ Finest) my white Model 3 (if/when it ever arrives). I'd like to coat the glass as well since my understanding is it will be like "permanent" rainX. With the all glass roof this seems like a reasonable thing. The thing I'm questioning is will this cause problems with rear window visibility? On my Scion FRS I made the "mistake" of applying Rain-X to the rear window. Since there is not enough airflow over the rear window, the rain just sits on the glass and diminishes visibility. Does the Model 3 have the same issue? Anyone have a wind tunnel available to visualize the air flow? Perhaps that is why a mini-model-3 is included - someone get that model into a wind tunnel!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm considering ceramic coating (CQ Finest) my white Model 3 (if/when it ever arrives). I'd like to coat the glass as well since my understanding is it will be like "permanent" rainX. With the all glass roof this seems like a reasonable thing. The thing I'm questioning is will this cause problems with rear window visibility? On my Scion FRS I made the "mistake" of applying Rain-X to the rear window. Since there is not enough airflow over the rear window, the rain just sits on the glass and diminishes visibility. Does the Model 3 have the same issue? Anyone have a wind tunnel available to visualize the air flow? Perhaps that is why a mini-model-3 is included - someone get that model into a wind tunnel!
  1. Ceramic Coating is - unfortunately - not permanently hydrophobic. The hydrophobic property does wear out over time, especially where wipers are rubbing it. They recommend a yearly re-application of a thin layer of the coating to restore the hydrophobic property. If I had thought this through when I had my car done, I think I would have insisted on them skipping all of the glass. I can't think of any other reason to have that stuff on the windows other than the hydrophobic properties.
  2. If you hadn't put Rain-X on the rear window, then you would have had an even worse problem of non-beading water spreading out all over the window, making it impossible to see out of it much more quickly. If it's sitting on the glass with Rain-X, then it would be sitting on the glass without it, and spreading out instead of beading up.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t use RainX, but use a different product with similar properties. I can attest there are no issues with the rear glass whatsoever. In fact, as far as the front window is concerned I barely need to use the wipers at all (and had to turn off auto).

bonzo

Country
Country
Thanks that helps. Do you treat ALL of the glass on the Model 3 with your "RainX" treatment? Only reason I'm considering having them ceramic coat the glass when I get the rest of the car done is because there is A LOT of glass. I understand it doesn't last a lifetime, but a year+ of hydrophobia for essentially the top of the car might be worth it?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks that helps. Do you treat ALL of the glass on the Model 3 with your "RainX" treatment?
I don't yet own a Model 3, but I've started to use RainX on all the windows of my Leaf. You just need to reapply it every 3 months or so as it wears off.
Only reason I'm considering having them ceramic coat the glass when I get the rest of the car done is because there is A LOT of glass. I understand it doesn't last a lifetime, but a year+ of hydrophobia for essentially the top of the car might be worth it?
I guess it depends on how much they charge.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks that helps. Do you treat ALL of the glass on the Model 3 with your "RainX" treatment? Only reason I'm considering having them ceramic coat the glass when I get the rest of the car done is because there is A LOT of glass. I understand it doesn't last a lifetime, but a year+ of hydrophobia for essentially the top of the car might be worth it?
I was my car weekly and when I do, I use Optimum Opti-Glass Clean and Protect. Great clarity and great results in rain!

https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-opti-glass-clean-protect

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am getting a full CQuartz Pro treatment for my Model3 this weekend, including their glass product on all glass surfaces. I had not considered the points raised in this thread and I'm glad I read them. But I'm not concerned about proceeding with the glass being coated. The installer did say that the windshield would need to be retreated more frequently due to being worn off by the wipers.

I cover only those surfaces that I use while driving.
Like windshield, rear glass, side windows (sometimes just front half for mirrors) and exterior mirrors.
It wears out mostly due to washing chemicals (windscreen washer fluid, car wash etc) and wiping action.

Prior to application surfaces must be exceptionally clean.
Silicone does not come off with regular cleaners. Silicone remover is required.
If you see wiper working area without wipers while pouring water on "clean" glass, it has silicone on it.