Ceramic Coating for Windshield and Windows too?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm scheduled to get Modesta ceramic coating applied at Chicago Auto Pros this week. They asked if I wanted to have it applied to the windshield and windows too. They said it could make the windshield wipers jump a little bit (which could be temporary until the wipers aged) but that the coating would help with water beading etc. Has anyone done this and regretted it? Or have you found it helpful? Does it actually protect the glass? Or does this just sound like a bad idea?

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I had it done to all my glass 4 months ago.

No regrets.

The jittery wipers are an issue that (was) systemic to the Model 3 until, in my case, version 36.x came along.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had mine done. I don't notice it much except that water beads really well when I wash, but clean glass also is good so not sure how much it really does for glass. My wipers chatter like crazy before, after, and still. Just put new wipers on (no rain test yet and not this week) and saw that they don't stick to the windshield like the original did so hopefully I have fixed that.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cool - Getting it done at Chicago Auto Pros right now. Will be back with an update after I get it back and see it in the rain, snow etc...

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did it as well and am glad I did. With the chattering wiper issue still unresolved in some scenarios, it’s nice that the windshield stays relatively clear on its own.

CAT

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I had it done to all my glass 4 months ago.

No regrets.

The jittery wipers are an issue that (was) systemic to the Model 3 until, in my case, version 36.x came along.
Are you referring to rev 2018.36.x ? Was this resolved with a software update?

I am wondering if I should go ahead with Ceramic coating the glass as well. Is this wiper jumping going to be a problem?
Also, is it safe to apply the Ceramic Coating on all the glass including the top, or should I just stick to the windshield?

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Are you referring to rev 2018.36.x ? Was this resolved with a software update?

I am wondering if I should go ahead with Ceramic coating the glass as well. Is this wiper jumping going to be a problem?
Also, is it safe to apply the Ceramic Coating on all the glass including the top, or should I just stick to the windshield?
Understanding that YMMV.......

Yes, since firmware version 2018.36.x, in my car, I no longer suffer with the jittery wiper situation.

It was very dramatic, before 36.x versus with 36.x and beyond.

One can discern the wiper speed being subtly modified on each individual sweep when chatter is being sensed.

As for ceramic on the glass, I had the Opti-Coat Pro Plus installed by an experienced individual and the product was applied to all the glass of the greenhouse, including the roof.

The jittery wiper situation had presented itself prior to the application of the ceramic coating therefore I do not believe it had any bearing on the wiper situation one way or another.

scaots

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had mine done. I don't notice it much except that water beads really well when I wash, but clean glass also is good so not sure how much it really does for glass. My wipers chatter like crazy before, after, and still. Just put new wipers on (no rain test yet and not this week) and saw that they don't stick to the windshield like the original did so hopefully I have fixed that.
BTW, new blades definitely fixed my wiper stuttering!

scaots

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you have a link to the ones you used? Thanks.
May be best just to buy form Tesla (or I feel like they should replace for free on a newish car) because I hacked the blades onto mine and I haven't seen any reports of high quality third party options that fit right.

On v9 mine chatter as much as always if not more. Seems to get worse the cleaner the window is.

I should have mentioned it at service, but just having ceramic 10 days before, I didn't want them doing anything extra like try to spray it down and use the wipers. So I just bought new wipers. Bosch Icon (since that is what I have always been getting). Found out that the OE style definitely do not fit in the Tesla holders. Some forum had reports of ones at Autozone being different, but where I checked they were same as others. It looks like if you trim the plastic a little might work but gets very close to the rotation point and when I cracked through to that I wasn't going to try them on the car. So I busted open the new wipers and carefully opened the end of the Tesla stock wipers to swap out the blades. Open the end of the Tesla wiper that doesn't slide. That end has a notch in the blade to hold it in place. I had to cut a similar notch in the new blade and slide them in with the end cap. I noticed that the old wipers seemed to stick to the window while the new ones didn't so hoping my woes are over. No rain this week, but maybe on weekend or when I wash it. I will report back whenever I am confident in results. Also if you are going to this trouble, the new blades were a tad shorter than the old, no issue but if going to this trouble might as well buy an extra inch and cut it to the same length.

Additionally FWIW I also drained the blue wiper fluid which just seemed to fog up and streak. I filled (almost a gallon) with rainX 2 in 1 low temp that has always worked great for me to get most stuff off the windows and seems to lubricate the wipers better.

View attachment 16460 View attachment 16461

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
May be best just to buy form Tesla (or I feel like they should replace for free on a newish car) because I hacked the blades onto mine and I haven't seen any reports of high quality third party options that fit right.
Thanks for the background info.

I think I'll take your first suggestion and buy them from Tesla (for the first year anyway).