Center Console Vibration Noise - My Fix!

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing I can’t stand is vibration/rattle noises noticeable when the car is moving. I previously had a ranger out for a bad one on my drivers side rear door, which he quickly took care of easily with his expertise and super powers! I recently started noticing another one in the center console that occurred anytime I’d hit a somewhat bumpy or rough road. I isolated it to the latching mechanism of the arm rest portion after a quick scientific investigation (hit it!!!). It was a tough one to figure out at first because I’m always resting my arm on the arm rest (duh, right?) so this sporadic, awful, devil created rattle noise eluded me at first!

Rather than bother making a service ticket with Tesla for this VERY MINOR issue, I decided to take matters into my own hands. So, armed with my wallet, brain and my car on a day off from work, I headed out to find some foam tape!

After finding some at a local Michaels (which took way too long because I refused to just ask someone where it was), I was about to check out when I saw a bag of letters made of foam that were a fraction of the price of the foam tape and decided to give it a shot! Even better was they rung up for half of the $3 they were listed for on the rack!

So, for $1.50, about a half hour of my time, and a tiny amount of energy used to drive to/from Michaels, I’ve solved the problem and am quite happy with the results! I decided to share my experience, complete with commentary that will embarrass the hell out of me no matter how many times I play it back...but here it goes, I’m going to post this anyways!

- Love

P.S. also, no knocking my vinyl console wrap job, it’s starting to peel up from the area you normally can’t see because of the arm rest. I’m well aware of my lack of skill in vinyl installation! ;)

Edit: Post 1000!! Wow :)

Last edited:

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: Drove in to work today without music or A/C and the vibration noise is gone! :)

Probably should have mentioned in the above post and video that while hitting the arm rest does mimic the noise, when it happened naturally "out in the wild" it was quite a bit more noticeable and the "rattle" lasted much longer. Well, no more.. problem solved :)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried to put some foam tape on the latch like @Lovesword, but it didn't stick. So, I added some small felt pads on top of the rubber pads stops for the arm rest. That has fixed it for now. I'll report back if this eventually fails.
img_20181108_171141-jpg.17288

Thanks again @Lovesword for identifying this one!