Center console removal

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

crackers8199

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
two quick notes since i just pulled mine tonight (and haven't seen anyone mention this anywhere, if it was mentioned i apologize):
- the 6 bolts are 10mm
- the two recessed screws (if you have them) are T20

crackers8199

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yup. once you get the bolts out and the electrical disconnected, it really is super easy. the entire thing just slides back and then can be lifted out.

getting the driver's side carpeted panel and the back plastic piece off to expose the bolts were an extreme PITA in my case, as was getting the front USB connection to give. YMMV, of course.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To anybody that removed the center console, do you see any way of removing a couple inches of height by cutting the bottom with a Dremel or something? Maybe angle the cut so the front of the console mates properly but angle it down from there?
Maybe get crazy and put some kind of Linear actuator with an up down switch to raise and lower the console with some sort of sliding cover at the bottom to cover the gap?
I'm 6'4 and the center console hits my right knee and the armrest is too high for my long arms.

Last edited:

crackers8199

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To anybody that removed the center console, do you see any way of removing a couple inches of height by cutting the bottom with a Dremel or something? Maybe angle the cut so the front of the console mates properly but angle it down from there?
I'm 6'4 and the center console hits my right knee and the armrest is too high for my long arms.
i'm going to say that's not a good idea. there's way too much going on there, including the air duct for the rear vents. i don't know any way you would be able to cut it down and lower it without having it look terrible and/or break something in the process.

i'll let the others chime in, just in case i'm missing something...but i just don't see a way that would be possible.

SemoTech

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i'm going to say that's not a good idea. there's way too much going on there, including the air duct for the rear vents. i don't know any way you would be able to cut it down and lower it without having it look terrible and/or break something in the process.

i'll let the others chime in, just in case i'm missing something...but i just don't see a way that would be possible.
Correct, not a good idea, but if you really want to and are extremely skilled and have a good shop, best to purchase a spare center console from Tesla parts (there is a catalog floating around with the part numbers) and "practice" on that. Remember there are power cables and connectors as well as mounting points that would somehow have to be re-done. While I have modded a lot in my life, yet I would not venture to try this.