Cell Phone Dock Fit

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very curious how the cell phone dock fits with cases on. I've got a pixel Xl with a "standard" size case (not like a thick otterbox or anything). I struggled to get it to "click" in the USB-C port when I saw the model 3 in person. With the case off, it seemed to slide right in.

What's the experience for the current owners? Do you need to take the case off to use the dock?

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very curious how the cell phone dock fits with cases on. I've got a pixel Xl with a "standard" size case (not like a thick otterbox or anything). I struggled to get it to "click" in the USB-C port when I saw the model 3 in person. With the case off, it seemed to slide right in.

What's the experience for the current owners? Do you need to take the case off to use the dock?
I found with my iPhone X and a slim case that the trick was to come in with the phone at an angle and it was much easier.

That said if you want super easy, go with Qi chargers!

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Magpul Field Case for my iPhone. It’s a heavy duty case but I wouldn’t call it “thick”. Doesn’t fit the stock charger orientation. I haven’t looked closely at the phone bay to see if it’s hackable with regard to plug orientation. I don’t really want to go with a loose cable there cause it will be a PITA to plug/unplug.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found the solution. This works great with both of our Nexus 5x phones, mine with a thicker case than my wife's. And you cant' even tell the trim part is off.

Doesn’t the Nexus 5 support Qi Charging? You could just got with wireless charging and not mess around with the cables!

HvyMtlChaos

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Moto G5 Plus with Spigen (a "normal") case - Micro-USB connector works fine.

This being said, I find the whole Cell Phone dock shelf is a primo squeak / rattle generator. Anyone else?

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Moto G5 Plus with Spigen (a "normal") case - Micro-USB connector works fine.

This being said, I find the whole Cell Phone dock shelf is a primo squeak / rattle generator. Anyone else?
No squeaks to report here