CCS Charging Port

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

George K

Country
Country
Is it possible to add CCS Charging port to model 3 ? Does anyone think Tesla will add CCS in the future or will a aftermarket kit be made availability ?

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, Santa Fe is getting new fast chargers shortly, courtesy of VW (ElectrifyAmerica). I guess I really have no options to use these with my M3? My Chevy Bolt friend is pretty happy about it though.

Darrenf

So, Santa Fe is getting new fast chargers shortly, courtesy of VW (ElectrifyAmerica). I guess I really have no options to use these with my M3? My Chevy Bolt friend is pretty happy about it though.
Why would you need them, there are Supechargers around, including one in Santa Fe.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, Santa Fe is getting new fast chargers shortly, courtesy of VW (ElectrifyAmerica). I guess I really have no options to use these with my M3?
Correct, Model 3s in North America cannot use any other fast chargers - only superchargers.

There's no CCS adapter yet (probably never - not allowed by the spec, IIRC), and the CHAdeMO adapter only works for S and X (who knows if/when they'll get it working for the 3).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
and the CHAdeMO adapter only works for S and X (who knows if/when they'll get it working for the 3).
at the Tesla club event I was at yesterday, one of the Tesla Mobile techs that was there had pulled a CHAdeMo adaptor out of his work car (to get to something else) and someone asked him if he has heard anything on when it will be usable on the 3. He first said "we don't hear anything before you all hear about it", then said about once a week, when he is nearby a CHAdeMo station and with a 3 he asks the owner if they can go try it out (including having just done this friday). so far, no luck, but his is persistent!
others in the conversation suggested that when the Model 3 starts being delivered to Japan, is when we will see it ready to use CHAdeMo. (I think the person that said that was another Tesla service employee).

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With any good luck CCS is in the pipeline. . It's a big shame Tesla didn't do this for the US cars. From Tesla's web site - the SC's overseas will be retrofitted with a second cable. https://www.tesla.com/de_CH/support/model-3-charging. Translated to:
Does the Model 3 also get access to the Supercharger network in Europe?
Yes. We will be upgrading existing Super Charger charging stations with dual charging cables that are compatible with CCS Combo 2 (CCS) and DC Type 2 charging port types.

Does the Model 3 get access to the "Destination Charging" network in Europe for partner store shopping?
Yes. The Model 3 can be charged at any "Type 2" AC Charging Station, including the Tesla Wall Charger, at Destination Charging destination locations.

With the plug being in the cars overseas and SC's being updated with CCS cables they have the engineering already done for the 3 with CCS and the SC. Just doesn't make sense we won't get CCS in some manner. Electrify America chargers are coming. If Tesla's don't use them, they won't get much use for some amount of time, just aren't that many other EV's on the road.