CAUTION: Installing Windshield Film & Computer Problems

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a conversation with my detailer yesterday and he mentioned window tinting is not something he recommends based on an experience another installer had in our area recently. Due to the water used to float the film on the inside and squeegeeing it out the water went down the front inside firewall and shorted out the display unit. Tesla said that was not covered by warranty to the tune of $2000 to replace the display. After much back and forth the installer had to pay for the repair out of pocket because they messed up.

If you're going to get it done make absolutely sure the installer knows about water intrusion possibility with the electronics and takes precautions!

Mysta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No issues, I read same stuff, just asked them about it and judged their answer accordingly.

20190513_143913-01-jpeg.26104

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am looking at applying the lightest Photosync IRD to the front windshield. I applied it's predecessor to my Model S and it was virtually clear and it significantly cut down on the heat. My local dealer has changed and current one said they wouldn't do it out of fear of getting water into electronics at bottom of windshield. I called another vendor who apparently have done a bunch. Has anyone done the front windshield, and anyone having any issues yeah or nay?

Thanks
Seems like you already have some solid responses so I’ll jump in with a question — what were you quoted for the front windshield? I have been thinking about doing this to help with the heat and protect the electronics some more.

hydrofied714

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has there been any stories of electronics getting messed up from tinting the windshield? I would guess that Tesla has added some type of barrier to prevent water from dripping into the electronics. I have mine tinted and so far I haven't noticed any issues. What other electronics are there besides the screen?

chiapet15

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had Air80 installed on my front windshield 6mo ago by Rocky Mountain Window Tint in Livermore. No issues thus far. To deal with the water, the installer put lint-free paper towels into the dash crevices before installing the tint.

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has there been any stories of electronics getting messed up from tinting the windshield? I would guess that Tesla has added some type of barrier to prevent water from dripping into the electronics. I have mine tinted and so far I haven't noticed any issues. What other electronics are there besides the screen?
The only issues I have heard of showed up immediately during/after the tint install. From the soapy water mix going down in front of the dash and at the edges.

There is no increase in moisture after the tint install than a non-tinted windscreen (such as fogging).

Last edited:

hydrofied714

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only issues I have heard of whowed up immediately during/after the tint install. From the soapy water mix going down in front of the dash and at the edges.

There is no increase in moisture after the tint install than a non-tinted windscreen (such as fogging).
I was just reading this post on reddit from a Model 3 owner who got his electronics fried after they tinted his windshield.
Now I'm paranoid that corrosion might set in a few months from now and I'll be screwed. I am quite certain the installer who did my windshield did not use any towels. :oops:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only stories I've heard are that the effects of getting water into the dash are immediate and obvious (stuff doesn't work straight away). I wouldn't worry about it, and if I was worrying about it, I'd ask my installer what precautions they took.

Firewired

Sorry for delay, for some reason notification wasn't checked on this thread.

I was quoted $1500 for IRD all around including top, front windshield, back in one piece.

I spoke to a senior Tesla tech and he stated that they made modifications to electronics location at base of windshield based on water damage that happened from people tinting their cars.

hydrofied714

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry for delay, for some reason notification wasn't checked on this thread.

I was quoted $1500 for IRD all around including top, front windshield, back in one piece.

I spoke to a senior Tesla tech and he stated that they made modifications to electronics location at base of windshield based on water damage that happened from people tinting their cars.
Interesting. Did he say when they started making the changes?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Colorado Detail had me sign a waiver before they tinted my windshield. Thus I'm liable for electronics damage. They had done a handful before tinting my car. They use less water than normal, and stuff an absorbent strip in the gap to prevent water from seeping in.

70% Rayno film. My windshield does not appear to be tinted with the 70. Most likely because the white interior "fish bowl" effect. Though, I'm glad I'm getting the extra UV protection.