Carrying bikes

Country
Country
I did a search and didn't see any recent threads on this topic. Now that many of you have your M3's, what are people doing for carrying bikes? I know of 2 options:

1) Carry inside: I'm not crazy about this option, since I will be carrying a dirty mountain bike and don't want to mess up the interior. Also there will be times that I want to carry multiple bikes and passengers.

2) Seasucker racks: I'm also not crazy about attaching via suction cups, but will probably give it a try if it's the only option.

Any other options I'm not aware of?

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry, not an owner quite yet, but an avid cyclist and I agree that the solution of storing bikes is a non-starter.
I'm really hoping Torklift will have an aftermarket hitch for the Model 3 - then I can use my trusty 1UpUSA hitch rack.
If not that, then perhaps Tesla will eventually have roof rack option for the Model 3, so you can look up at your bikes through the all-glass roof.
I'm not even sure if the current production model has the attachment points for roof rack, but hopefully one of these options is eventually available for those of that get our bikes dirty (or god forbid take more than one bike somewhere)

Country
Country
Hitch mount is definitely my first choice, I can use the hitch rack I already have, which can be easily removed and not affect the efficiency of the vehicle. From the pictures I've seen though, it will take some significant modification of fascia to install a hitch receiver.

Country
Country
Former bike shop manager here:

I've talked to Torklift and they are working on a Model 3 hitch right now. I'm on the waiting list so I'll report back once they ship and I can install it. Fingers crossed that my car shows up first! Requires removing the rear bumper to get to the attachment points on the frame like their S hitches, but no drilling necessary.

I've always recommended tray-style hitch mounted racks above all else. 2nd choice is the SeaSucker. Sold quite a few to people with Corvettes and Porsches as their daily drivers and all the feedback I got was very positive. Last choices are hitch racks that hang bikes from a pair of arms that fold up and down and the trunk mounted racks like the Saris Bones3. The Saris was far and away my best seller. It's cheap and gets the job done, but is a huge pain to adjust and setup and often would leave scratches on the bike and car if the person wasn't very careful when loading.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I've talked to Torklift and they are working on a Model 3 hitch right now. I'm on the waiting list so I'll report back once they ship and I can install it. Fingers crossed that my car shows up first! Requires removing the rear bumper to get to the attachment points on the frame like their S hitches, but no drilling necessary.

I've always recommended tray-style hitch mounted racks above all else. 2nd choice is the SeaSucker. Sold quite a few to people with Corvettes and Porsches as their daily drivers and all the feedback I got was very positive. Last choices are hitch racks that hang bikes from a pair of arms that fold up and down and the trunk mounted racks like the Saris Bones3. The Saris was far and away my best seller. It's cheap and gets the job done, but is a huge pain to adjust and setup and often would leave scratches on the bike and car if the person wasn't very careful when loading.
Thanks so much. I'm definitely a tray-style hitch rack convert. My favorite is the 1UpUSA racks, and I would be sad to have to go back to any other bike rack.

Thanks for finally some good news on this front!

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep they're there. Some folks have posted photos of the attachment points on the roof, now all we need is the actual roof rack accessory!
This is great news! Would you mind posting the links? I've looked, but can't find any information. Thanks in advance!

-Shane

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I pinged Torklift today and they responded:

Thank you for your inquiry and support. We have designed a hitch for your vehicle but it is in testing at the moment and should be released very soon. I hope this has helped you, have a wonderful day!

ahkim

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I pinged Torklift today and they responded:

Thank you for your inquiry and support. We have designed a hitch for your vehicle but it is in testing at the moment and should be released very soon. I hope this has helped you, have a wonderful day!
Nice! Should be just in time for summer.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Torklift now offers a hitch for the Model 3. I have one on order and will report back when its installed. I would appreciate advice on the best hitch bike rack to get.
In the meantime I have used the Saris Bones3 rack and it works. The rack definitely wiggles a bit, which makes my wife nervous, but its well designed and is a good low cost option, particularly if you only need to transport relatively light bikes occasionally.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, I've been thinking about ordering the Torklift hitch, but I was wondering if the proximity sensors on the vehicle will go crazy when rack and bike are mounted in the back. I'll be very interested to hear how the hitch works for you (and where you get it installed or if you DIY).

I have used a 1up-usa rack for a years and can highly recommend it!

NEO

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Torklift now offers a hitch for the Model 3. I have one on order and will report back when its installed. I would appreciate advice on the best hitch bike rack to get.
In the meantime I have used the Saris Bones3 rack and it works. The rack definitely wiggles a bit, which makes my wife nervous, but its well designed and is a good low cost option, particularly if you only need to transport relatively light bikes occasionally.
Please let us know how this works out. I am not too keen on roof racks and am extremely hesitant to use the seasucker. Would love the versatility though. I am on a trip right now and am noticing that the majority of people here in Idaho are using hitch racks.

Questions I have:

1. What kind of modifications are required on the car to install the hitch(ie drilling, cut, etc)?
2. How easy is it to remove and use the racks? I don't want the rack on the car except when it is being used so I am hoping it is easy to take off
3. How much does the rack interfere with the driving experience?
4. How difficult is it to get into the trunk with the rack on?

I've never used racks for my bikes before so sorry about all the questions. I will be using a rack for 2 bikes.

LandR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Torklift site has a good description for their product:
https://torkliftcentral.com/x7373-2

I currently use a Kuat two-bike platform hitch rack and find it very easy to use. I plan to put a hitch on the Model 3 when we get one.
Did you get your hitch installed? I want to get the Kuat Sherpa for two bikes and am wondering how it all went for you.

Any issues I should be aware of?

MJJ

I’ll vouch for the Stealth Hitch. Installation doable for a half-capable DIYer (like me 🤓) but not trivial.