Care of that small 12V battery

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A friend of mine with a Leaf had his 12V battery crap out mysteriously. Was only a couple of years old, if that, but once he replaced it, all was well. But that got me wondering about the Model 3's 12V lead acid (?) battery hidden under the cover when you open the frunk. Is it maintenance free? Does Tesla say anything about caring for it? What happens when it dies? I live in a hot, very dry, high altitude and it seems traditional lead acid battery lifetimes where I live are worse here than other places. Obviously, this isn't a big concern yet (car is only 8 months old) and a quick search of these forums didn't turn up much of anything---and although there's a little about it on the TMC forum, it's not much---so thought I'd ask the experts!

Last edited:

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A friend of mine with a Leaf had his 12V battery crap out mysteriously. Was only a couple of years old, if that, but once he replaced it, all was well. But that got me wondering about the Model 3's 12V lead acid (?) battery hidden under the cover when you open the frunk. Is it maintenance free? Does Tesla say anything about caring for it? What happens when it dies? I live in a hot, very dry, high altitude and it seems traditional lead acid battery lifetimes where I live are worse here than other places. Obviously, this isn't a big concern yet (car is only 8 months old) and a quick search of these forums didn't turn up much of anything---and although there's a little about it on the TMC forum, it's not much---so thought I'd ask the experts!
All EVs, plug-ins and some hybrids have problems with the 12 volt battery. The Ford CMax Energi and Fusion Energi forums are full of 12 volt battery failure reports. The Volt, Leaf and other EV and Plug-in forums are similar. If you are concerned, get a small battery/jump starter ($30 to $100) and relax. These cars never really sleep. This stresses the 12 volt system. I have jumped my cars twice in 6 years. It has been 3 years since the last. My Model 3 has been great, so far. Perhaps the manufactures are getting smarter. It also helps to keep your Tesla plugged in.

Last edited: