Car Wash Before Delivery

Msmith83

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I have two questions about keeping my Model 3 clean and having none to little scratches on it.

1. Has anyone asked the Tesla store to not wash their car? Normally when car dealerships wash cars, they scratch up the paint and add some swirl marks on a brand new car! I would not want my new Model 3 to have swirls and scratches on it.

2. Would the Tesla store not wash it for you if you ask for them not to wash it? I know other car dealerships do not wash your car if you ask.

I would probably have my car get some paint protection film and/or ceramic coating on the day I pick the car up. Then the professionals will wash it without scratching the car up. After it has both or just one of those protection options, then I will hand wash my car using the two bucket method and a foam cannon.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you don't allow them to wash it, then they will probably not honor any issues with it after you leave. If the transport get some dirt and there is a scratch under it, the you may not see, and now they can say that is occurred after delivery.

The car is a car. They look really awesome with just a simple hand wash.

It's like when we were buying a kitchen table, I dreaded it. I new that I was going to catch hell if any mark appeared on the brand new table. I was not looking forward to it. I solved the problem by getting a table that was explicitly rough.

There is nothing better for a car than to get the first ding. After that, you stop that paranoia.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You should call and ask, it isn't too much. I called 2 days before my car hit the ground in Dallas and asked that they not buff or do anything other than a light wash to the car. I have to believe they honored that or I'll say that the professional coatings and wrap guys are filling their customers a load of BS. I'm not a professional, but I know what the spider webs and swirls look like in paint - I could find none on mine. So either the service centers are buffing most of them and adding a ton of issues to the paint or I got lucky by asking to not have mine touched.

I do think the Midnight Silver is also probably more forgiving than the black or red, but I was impressed with what I found. On delivery, I had a couple of spots on the hood that needed a little attention and they told me it was truly from pulling the wrap off of it, so mine may have also been one of the lucky few that was wrapped and that saved it. When they got a guy from back he had a proper dual action polisher with some very light polish and whatever was there came off in a matter of seconds.

I've also driven through the Dallas delivery center a few times to see the cars coming off the truck, believe me they are not a pretty sight. They are pretty dirty, I just find it hard to believe they are buffing and doing that much work on these cars once they get to a delivery center.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is nothing better for a car than to get the first ding. After that, you stop that paranoia.
Im not sure that is true of all of us... My car bought new in 2000, that has now been sold to someone on the other side of the country, I can tell you where and within a week of when it received every blemish over the years I drove it (not that I am bitter about them or anything...). I'll save you from me listing them though ;)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First I should say you should simply ask a day or two before delivery. I'm sure they won't mind, but...

And this is coming from someone who used to put big Don't Wash! signs on his car whenever I brought it in for service: I strongly suggest you have them wash your car at delivery. These cars are open trucked to their destination and there are tons of reports of chips and paint issues from transportation as well as from production. Your ONLY chance to get them addressed is finding and pointing them out during delivery. If the car is not clean, you are not going to find them. I've visited the pre-delivery lots and trust me the cars are DIRTY. Yes, it may introduce some light swirls, but nothing that can't be removed with a typical polish job.