Car now stopping at red lights on AP!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Stop using AP on surface streets, people.

And how do we know they didn’t hit the brake pedal?
While you think it’s unrealistic, others with more common sense know it’s unsafe. And no doubt, Tesla’s defense against any AP related accidents is “improper usage” on surface streets.
When I first got my Model 3 it did not support lane change on city streets and now it does, so clearly Tesla does intend for us to use it. That said, I agree it’s really not the best on city streets and you have to pay even more attention to it.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a similar situation few nights ago. On a surface steet and with AP engaged, I was approaching a red light. I got that screen with flashing red streaing wheel amd loud warnign nise so I panicked and stepped on the brake. Now knowing that it can stop on its own, I'll give it enough time to respond and hopefully stop.
Anytime you see that screen ("take over immediately") in any scenario, you should no longer assume that Autopilot will assist you in any way. That warning is basically the car saying, "I cannot handle this situation. You're in charge now." So I think you reacted just as you should have.

Mr. Spacely

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a little disappointed. I assumed red light and stop sign recognition would be a part of V-10 software upgrade. Maybe not completely functional, but at least partial recognition and a symbol on the screen. Maybe in a few weeks on the next software release?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a little disappointed. I assumed red light and stop sign recognition would be a part of V-10 software upgrade. Maybe not completely functional, but at least partial recognition and a symbol on the screen. Maybe in a few weeks on the next software release?
Hopefully in a V10.1 release

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you'll see it along with or soon before Navigate on Autopilot for city roads.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@TrevP, on the Oct 03 2019 episode:
Tesla Owners Online Podcast
58 - V10 is The Bomb
at this spot
https://overcast.fm/+NOGta21-o/1:23:50
mention is made of a Model 3 perhaps stopping at stop lights. This thread above is interesting, I'll just add one more data point to it.

Back on July 26, I recorded this clip, see the stop light approach at this spot

which was with software 2019.24.4. It may or may not be relevant that the light turned yellow just as I approached the stop line.

I was able to replicate this a week later at night with no other vehicles, but I had no camera rolling.

It's a little tricky, because I need to arrive at the bottom of this ramp with a yellow or red light, and no other cars around ahead of me in this same right-most lane. I should give this another try on V10 (2019.32.11.1 d39e85a) and see what happens, if there is interest.

All my Tesla related videos here.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Light detection has actually existed for most of the year, however Tesla has it disabled.
Here's what it is like if you toggle it on:

Note the car puts up a light icon and shows the status it is determining red/green.
I think it depends on maps noting a light at the location, though, so that means it is prone to error.

You've seen what a debacle releasing just a fun feature like smart summon has been. Imagine if Tesla released stop light detection that only worked 90% of the time? Massive red light running accidents.
It exists, but it will probably be a while before it is perfect and infallible. Only then will it be enabled for the general public.