Car now stopping at red lights on AP!

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the video, it appears AP is still engaged after the stop! I wish the video had kept going--when the light turned green did the car start moving again on its own?

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my car detect one traffic light...it was on an exit ramp from NoA where the car exited and the ramp turned into an underpass traffic light. The car came to a complete stop at the stop line...despite that not technically being part of autopilot months ago.

Edit: watched the video and yup, appears they are on NoA also. Only difference for me is it doesn't show the traffic light detection in Canada yet.

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my dash show a big red steering wheel and beep at me when going through an intersection on AP before, but nothing like this.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my car detect one traffic light...it was on an exit ramp from NoA where the car exited and the ramp turned into an underpass traffic light. The car came to a complete stop at the stop line...despite that not technically being part of autopilot months ago.

Edit: watched the video and yup, appears they are on NoA also. Only difference for me is it doesn't show the traffic light detection in Canada yet.
I think this may be GPS based.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the Tesla.com Model 3 Forum someone just posted a video of their car stopping by itself on AP! Watch as it approaches a red light, displays a small traffic light on the monitor (where the speed limit sign usually is), and then stops on its own! This is groundbreaking and shows that Tesla is not very far away from yet another advancement.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/ap-stopping-red-light

Here's the actual youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skZAfKVEz-g&feature=share
is is similar to what I posted in the 24.4 thread (on TACC only).

fazluke

Country
Country
I had a similar situation few nights ago. On a surface steet and with AP engaged, I was approaching a red light. I got that screen with flashing red streaing wheel amd loud warnign nise so I panicked and stepped on the brake. Now knowing that it can stop on its own, I'll give it enough time to respond and hopefully stop.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

They have NoA enabled, but the road they are on does not support NoA. You can tell because the lane lines are blue on either side instead of one centered blue line.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Stop using AP on surface streets, people.
It would have been super-easy for Tesla to have prevented use on surface streets, as some other car manufacturers do for their L2 systems, if they had chosen to do so.

The version of the owner's manual I've got downloaded on my laptop (which means it's a bit old and may have been updated since) says:

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets."

Also:

"Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing."

That's intriguingly different from what it says for Autosteer:

"Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. Do nor use Autosteer on city streets, constructions zones, or in areas where bicycles and pedestrians may be present."

So even in terms of the official wording of the owner's manual, TACC is more or less endorsed for some surface streets (dry, straight roads), just not city streets. Autosteer is worded differently, including an explicit warning against using it when bicycles and pedestrians might be around, which means pretty much any surface street.

Dry, straight roads that are not "city streets" nevertheless often have stoplights. Stopping at a red light on its own would potentially be a feature of TACC, not Autosteer. So I think the situations described in this thread are within the normal expected use cases for the car, and are not "off-label" (except for the fact that the whole system is still designated as BETA).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The version of the owner's manual I've got downloaded on my laptop (which means it's a bit old and may have been updated since) says:
we keep a link to the on-line (downloadable) current version of the owners manual in the pinned thread at the top of the Maintenance section
Owners Manual thread (release: May 2019)

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Stop using AP on surface streets, people.
That’s not realistic. If Tesla didn’t want us to use it in off-highway situations, they could easily disable it from even being available in those cases. Yet they don’t, in fact they keep adding features that can ONLY be used on city streets, such as the new Stop Light Warning! That ONLY pops up if AP is engaged on city streets. And Elon loves to retweet people’s positive experience using AP that are clearly not on highways, so he doesn’t care either. A couple of lines buried in the owner’s manual isn’t going to prevent people from using a feature that is readily presented, and promoted, to them.

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While you think it’s unrealistic, others with more common sense know it’s unsafe. And no doubt, Tesla’s defense against any AP related accidents is “improper usage” on surface streets.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While you think it’s unrealistic, others with more common sense know it’s unsafe. And no doubt, Tesla’s defense against any AP related accidents is “improper usage” on surface streets.
I may have been too wordy.

The manual says it's OK to use TACC on surface streets! The idea that it doesn't is a myth.

According to the manual, it's not OK on city streets, but the manual clearly distinguishes between the two.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There have been dozens of AP incidents on city streets that have been reported in the media, I can’t recall one where Tesla used that as their defense. It has always been “driver must remain attentive and in control at all times”. Lawyers will also have fun pointing out Elon’s big demonstration of AP to Gayle King on...city streets. Without hands on the wheel even! Point is, this is a feature that is, and will be, used in this environment unless Tesla outright stops it, and they seem to be well aware of that and trying to accommodate it. For instance, why add the ability to do automatic lane changes on city streets? That popped up a few months ago, why would the company add that if they didn’t intend people to use it?

The lines in the manual were written by liability lawyers, not folks who are developing the car’s functionality.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lawyers will also have fun pointing out Elon’s big demonstration of AP to Gayle King on...city streets. .
Not city streets--suburban streets. There really is a difference!

(It is true that Musk did other things in that interview that the manual says not to do, like driving with his hands off the wheel.)

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They have NoA enabled, but the road they are on does not support NoA. You can tell because the lane lines are blue on either side instead of one centered blue line.
Same with mine, midway on the ramp exiting it goes into 'noa ending in 25m' etc...then turns off. This video starts after it has turned off. I really want to recreate it now.

jdcollins5

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried mine on a city street with 4 lanes and a median with stop lights. I was using EAP and following a car towards a stop light when the lead car changed lanes and I no longer had anyone between me and the light. I waited to see if it would recognize the stop light and slow down. Nothing happened and I had to hit the brakes.