Car needs service / Car may not restart

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got the "car needs service - car may not restart" errors about 3 weeks ago...

The car would then do a full "power recycle" when the car was placed in park, which would clear the error.

Took the car in yesterday and after Tesla did their thing, they indicated that the "drive unit" would have the be replaced.

So.... the wait begins for the part to arrive...

Country
Country
Trying to leave work today and hear clunk then get error messages, “ 12 volt power reduced” and “Car needs service”. Waiting for tow truck. Has this happened to anyone else?
The issue with my Model 3 P is the rear drive unit. It is going to be replaced under warranty. Car is only 5 months old. I hope that this is not an omen of future faulty parts.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The issue with my Model 3 P is the rear drive unit. It is going to be replaced under warranty. Car is only 5 months old. I hope that this is not an omen of future faulty parts.
There have been very few of them reported here, but you definitely aren't the first to have a motor replaced. Here's hoping they get one shipped out quickly. The motor replacement itself is actually pretty straight forward. @Ingineer has shown and documented how easy it is in some of his videos.

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There have been very few of them reported here, but you definitely aren't the first to have a motor replaced. Here's hoping they get one shipped out quickly. The motor replacement itself is actually pretty straight forward. @Ingineer has shown and documented how easy it is in some of his videos.
Yep..... Rear Drive Unit.... My car went to SC on Wed morning 7/10......

Was told on Thu morning (7/11) that it was the drive unit.... Tesla ordered a new unit....

Yesterday (Tue morning 7/16) I was informed that the drive would arrive at the SC on Monday (7/22). So, I was also informed that it should be ready by Thursday 7/25.

2 weeks without my car.... Bummer.....

Since the car has been at the SC, I have been notified that there is an update for it and it keeps screaming at it that it is almost out of power...

Country
Country
Yep..... Rear Drive Unit.... My car went to SC on Wed morning 7/10......

Was told on Thu morning (7/11) that it was the drive unit.... Tesla ordered a new unit....

Yesterday (Tue morning 7/16) I was informed that the drive would arrive at the SC on Monday (7/22). So, I was also informed that it should be ready by Thursday 7/25.

2 weeks without my car.... Bummer.....

Since the car has been at the SC, I have been notified that there is an update for it and it keeps screaming at it that it is almost out of power...
Tesla gave me a Model S loaner. Quieter and more luxurious but more like driving a Cadillac. I prefer the sports sedan feel of the M3P.

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got my car back after one week in shop. New rear drive unit. Everything seems to be working fine. Happy to have my M3P back. I feel ten years younger! The Model S loaner felt like an old man's car.
It appears that my "drive unit" arrived today.... (7/22)

Haven't heard back as to when they will have it ready for pick up.....

Miss my car!