Car Insurance Telematics Tracking Devices & Teslas.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

LDuane26

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my Model 3 LR for just over a year, and still love it. (It's ridiculous how great this thing is... enough gushing). Having driven it for a year now, it's safe to say that my driving habits in my Tesla are pretty well defined. I love the acceleration and regenerative braking. Love the cornering and safety. I feel like it has made me a better, albeit more assertive / aggressive driver, since I can now outperform / out-manoeuvre most others on the road.

I recently signed up for the TD MyAdvantage app which gives you insurance discounts based on your driving habits. To measure this, the app tracks your driving - measuring acceleration, speed, braking and cornering and then gives you a score. A perfect score is 100%. Today, after my first trip I checked my scores and they were pretty poor. Specifically:

Braking - 37%
Speeding - 91%
Acceleration - 3%
Cornering 82%

To be clear this was my simple, 5.5km morning commute. City Streets, 5 traffic lights, reasonably straight roads - nothing crazy. It makes sense that speeding scored high because on the local streets in morning traffic nothing moves quickly. It's the braking and acceleration that surprised me, because I thought I was being pretty tame. With regen-braking I hardly ever touch the pedal, but I believe the app thinks it's slowing too quickly (my wife often comments that she does not like the feel of the 'quick slowing'). Acceleration I expected to be bad ('cause it's awesome) but today was tame - I didn't even come close to punching it.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has similar results. I think TD needs to adjust this app for higher performing cars like my Tesla.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took part in Liberty Mutual's program (RightTrack) a few years ago. And yeah, these things are looking for you to produce really, really small G's. Extremely slow accelerating and extremely slow braking. They could care less if you go 150 mph, as long as you take forever to get up to that speed. ;)

I'm going to update the thread title to be a little more generic, since most insurance companies have a similar program nowadays.

How Do Those Car Insurance Tracking Devices Work?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took part in Liberty Mutual's program (RightTrack) a few years ago. And yeah, these things are looking for you to produce really, really small G's. Extremely slow accelerating and extremely slow braking. They could care less if you go 150 mph, as long as you take forever to get up to that speed. ;)

I'm going to update the thread title to be a little more generic, since most insurance companies have a similar program nowadays.

How Do Those Car Insurance Tracking Devices Work?
I also took part in the RightTrack program back when I had Liberty Mutual. No way I would do it with my Model 3.

jmaddr

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’d love to see data in what the insurance companies do with this data but I’m thinking fat chance.

Like what are the thresholds for a discount vs the scarier option....what if you have poor scores...do they up rates or even cancel you? If they can’t do that, do they still base future decisions like who to keep when doing a risk reduction on this data? How do they differentiate between you, your wife, kids, their friends, etc if at all?

I really don’t see these being good for consumers. Perhaps if you really do drive like a grandma and you are the ONLY one driving your car, but I just can’t see it working out in the consumers favor. For most cases. Insurance is in the business to make money, not take to take risk.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve found that those devices are fairly useless in EV’s in general, because the built-in regen counts as “hard braking”. It’s virtually impossible to get a decent score without turning regen off.

In Teslas in particular, the rapid torque at low speeds tends to count as “hard acceleration”.

I took mine out of the car after the accompanying app actually warned me that if I don’t improve my score, it will cost me discounts. I’d rather leave them in the dark and give up a tiny amount than end up punished with much higher rates.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I were to try this in a Tesla, I would leave the car in Chill Mode and set regen to Low. It would be the only way to stand a chance of getting a decent "score".

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Like what are the thresholds for a discount vs the scarier option....what if you have poor scores...do they up rates or even cancel you?
Liberty Mutual in particular said that rates would either lower or stay the same - it would not cause your rates to go up. But the article I linked to above says that Progressive would raise rates.
How do they differentiate between you, your wife, kids, their friends, etc if at all?
I would imagine that it wouldn't matter much if you're all on the same policy.

That said, Liberty Mutual had each driver install an app on his/her phone, and they differentiated that way.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Liberty Mutual in particular said that rates would either lower or stay the same - it would not cause your rates to go up. But the article I linked to above says that Progressive would raise rates.
That is my experience too.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't found "Chill" to actually be that much of a chill compared to standard...
The first evening driving my car home, I had both Regen and Acceleration on "Standard". I found myself being thrown back and forth in my seat as I was accelerating too fast and braking too fast.

I set it to Chill and half the problem stopped. I kept it on Chill until I got used to the level of regeneration I was getting. Still haven't dared to use Sport. :)