Country
Country

Bryan@Peachstate Detail

TOO Advertiser
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Your car just be 100% clean when putting a cover on or you will scratch the finish.

You will still scratch the surface if you use it daily even if the car is clean, when taking it on and off.

I would only recommend a cover for outdoor extended long term use. (I'll be out of town for 2 weeks and I have to park around some trees.)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Your car just be 100% clean when putting a cover on or you will scratch the finish.

You will still scratch the surface if you use it daily even if the car is clean, when taking it on and off.

I would only recommend a cover for outdoor extended long term use. (I'll be out of town for 2 weeks and I have to park around some trees.)
Thanks for the info. I had heard this bit wanted to get some other opinions.
Dan

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've used covers for years and liked the results. I'm just lazy and hate to wash cars. I'm not obsessive about scratches, but I hate pine pitch and bird **** as well as baking the interior in the sun. For me a key concern is that the cover always be kept clean which means that it must be easy to clean as well as easy to deploy. The covers that I've used for years now (Covercraft HP) are washable and dryable in home machines. They are compact but heavy enough to be easy to deploy and roll up easily. I was wondering about the Tesla cover but I see that its a three layer thing so I doubt that it is either easy to deploy or store and is probably hard to wash and dry as well. Covercraft says they have these available for the 3 but they don't list them on their web site.

Gorillapaws

Country
Country
Anyone using the outdoor version of the cover? My driveway is under trees (can't be helped) so some kind of cover is necessary.

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've used the Covercraft weather shield covers for years on a variety of cars. They are outdoor covers and the easiest to use and keep clean in my experience. The Tesla outdoor cover is described as a three layer laminate which would probably not be as compact and might not be compatible with home dryers. The hovercraft weather shield and the Tesla cover are about the same price.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Azthrillhouse

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone using the outdoor version of the cover? My driveway is under trees (can't be helped) so some kind of cover is necessary.
Just got my model 3 yesterday and I have the Tesla outdoor cover. It is really thick and seems very well-made. It’s easy to get on the car - the “rabbit ears” that go around the mirrors are useful for holding the cover in place while you stretch it out - but I still don’t have a strategy for folding/rolling it efficiently.

When you get it, it is rolled up in a small duffel bag that fits great in the frunk with a little bit of room left for other stuff like the UMC. Once I did my horrible folding job it still fit in the frunk, but barely. The challenge is folding it without letting it drag on the ground, so maybe I will just wad it up and put it in the sub-trunk area.

In Arizona, where the summer sun bleached everything (not to mention the haboobs) and without consistent access to indoor parking, the cover felt like a must for me.

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't used the Tesla cover but the method that has always worked for me with covers is to:
First, unfasten the ends from the under the bumpers
Second, take the mirrors out of the pockets and fold the sides up onto the top of the car.
Second, roll it up from the back.
Third, stow it.

To put it on just reverse the order and do it the same way every time.

It sounds as though it will be a pain to keep the Tesla outdoor cover clean.
I would highly recommend the Covercraft Weathershield cover for a compact all weather cover that can be washed and dried quickly in home machines.

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Huh? What do you want?
I just stated the facts. Go to Covercraft or whatever maker you want other than Tesla and they won't have the logo.
I'd recommend Covercraft weathershield with cut-outs.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't see how changing the topic of discussion to Intellectual Property Rights is helpful or on point here.
Heh. :)

Foxtrotter was just saying that any car cover not made by Tesla should meet your requirements. But I can see how you misread it to have another meaning.

runsonsun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got my model 3 yesterday and I have the Tesla outdoor cover. It is really thick and seems very well-made. It’s easy to get on the car - the “rabbit ears” that go around the mirrors are useful for holding the cover in place while you stretch it out - but I still don’t have a strategy for folding/rolling it efficiently.

When you get it, it is rolled up in a small duffel bag that fits great in the frunk with a little bit of room left for other stuff like the UMC. Once I did my horrible folding job it still fit in the frunk, but barely. The challenge is folding it without letting it drag on the ground, so maybe I will just wad it up and put it in the sub-trunk area.

In Arizona, where the summer sun bleached everything (not to mention the haboobs) and without consistent access to indoor parking, the cover felt like a must for me.
I agree, i'll be taking delivery of my M3 on July 7th and I'm thinking about getting the outdoor cover as well.
All of the other car cover brands that I see online do not have the mesh opening below the front bumper to allow for proper thermal control of the battery pack as well as being able to run the HVAC system while covered.

runsonsun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Huh? What do you want?
I just stated the facts. Go to Covercraft or whatever maker you want other than Tesla and they won't have the logo.
I'd recommend Covercraft weathershield with cut-outs.
All of the other car cover brands that I see online do not have the mesh opening below the front bumper to allow for proper thermal control of the battery pack as well as being able to run the HVAC system while covered.

runsonsun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any non-Tesla official cover should not have the logo.