Car automatically shifts to Park.

kmngq

Country
Country
When im pulling out of my tight parking space in my condo, i reverse really slowly since my spot is on a lift. When im backing out really slowly, the car just automatically shifts to park.

Has this happened to anyone? Is this maybe some sort of safety/sensor issue?
its happend 2x now, and maybe ill try to get it on video next time.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The butt sensor thing is REALLY annoying! I’ve had many times that I’m going through the drive thru at a restaurant, order food, then as I pull up to the window, I reach for my wallet and lift my butt. BAM! car gets thrown into park. I’m usually going slowly but it’s still an unexpected stop.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is this something that can happen at speed? Say, when you're stretching your legs (presumably cruise control or Autopilot would be engaged). I'm not suggesting anyone test it, but curious if anyone has noticed that it doesn't happen under those conditions.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed. If the seat occupancy sensor is that hypersensitive, they could just add another factor to the software (like, maybe if the driver's door is also open) before automatically shifting to Park.
The second factor is the seat belt being fastened.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is this something that can happen at speed? Say, when you're stretching your legs (presumably cruise control or Autopilot would be engaged). I'm not suggesting anyone test it, but curious if anyone has noticed that it doesn't happen under those conditions.
Bjorn Nyland tested this out on his YouTube channel. It WILL NOT shift into ‘park’ at speed. If I remember correctly, it won’t do it above, say, 2 or 3 mph.

anech

Country
Country
Bjorn Nyland tested this out on his YouTube channel. It WILL NOT shift into ‘park’ at speed. If I remember correctly, it won’t do it above, say, 2 or 3 mph.
Guys, I saw an option to turn off this "automatic parking brake" feature somewhere in the UI. I'll look for it.

One of the most helpful features is automatic park in case of driver door is opened.
But the second one is "push that damn park button before you grab stuff from rear seat while holding brake pedal".
One day you will not hold the brake well enough and you will ruin your bumper:)

Stop turning your head too much while parking (so much that your butt wiggles excessively). Use the mirrors. There are 3 mirrors to use.